Water Spots on Paint

I’ve seen a few threads, and a couple of discussions on removing spots from glass, but nothing recent on paint.

We bought a new 2024 Odyssey (black paint) less than a month ago.

I washed the van 2 weekends in a row (2-bucket method, Meguiar’s Gold Class, Griot’s Garage 3-in-1 Ceramic Spray Wax), and, although I washed it in the shade, and continually sprayed it down and tried to keep it wet as I washed the van and wheels, it was extremely windy with low humidity both times, and I assume that the wind dried the water and caused the minerals in the water to be deposited before I could towel-dry it.

I’d like to try the least-aggressive method to try to remove these spots first, obviously, since it’s brand-new paint. Don’t really want to get into using any kind of polishing compound if I can avoid it.

Assuming that the spots aren’t etched in already, I’ve heard of just using regular white vinegar and wiping with a microfiber.

Does anyone know if this is safe for the clearcoat?

I’ve also heard of a product called WSP Undrdog Water Spot Remover, and it’s pretty cheap, but it contains hydrofluoric acid and sulfuric acid. Both pretty nasty acids, especially the HF. Would like to avoid that stuff if possible, though I do know it can be used safely if proper precautions/PPE are taken/used.

Any insight?

Thanks.

Plenty of water spot removers out there designed for paint. Griots, Chemical guys, etc. I would try one of them after getting the paint super clean.

Reactions: hrv
I would wait a little bit longer before trying something more aggressive, since it's a brand new paint. Considering you haven't used any "out of the ordinary products".

I have had water spots before that had simply disappear over time.

It is pretty much impossible to wash a vehicle of that size without water spotting if you're doing it during the daytime.

I highly recommend finishing before 8am. Your best defense is to wash at night or before the sun is fully out.

For the water spots, if they are not etched, try 3D eraser gel. All of them are some form of acid.

I would try Meguiar's Quik Detailer Mist.
Amazingly, the water spots all came completely off with the Griot’s Ceramic Detailer Spray!

This was my first time trying it on the Odyssey; the previous 2 times I’ve washed the van, I’ve dried with only a microfiber, then applied the Griots Ceramic 3-in-1 Ceramic Spray Wax.

This time, I dried with a microfiber towel while the surface was still wet (I blew some of the water off with a leaf blower), and spritzed a couple of sprays of the Ceramic Detailer Spray as a drying aid, and the spots wiped right off!

I’ve used the Griot’s Ceramic detailer spray before, but it had been a while. I had forgotten how awesome that stuff is. Gotta be the best drying aid I’ve ever used.

Back