Water Remover Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question concerns both my boat and SUV concerning using a water remover product. We are told not to use a water remover product that contains alcohol in ethanol gas because adding alcohol to alcohol just creates more problem yet Stabil has a water remover labeled for both regular and ethanol fuel which contains alcohol according to the label. Why is that? There is also a special more expensive [$14] water remover I have used formulated [supposedly] just for ethanol fuel that has a honey like consistency. I have used this product in 2 vehicles that were missing due to water in the fuel and it did work.
I have also run my own test putting some ethanol fuel in a baby jar, adding a teaspoon of water, and then some water remover. I was surprised to see all the fuel in the glass turn a not good looking milky color. I have to assume that the water would burn thru but am reluctant to use it especially in the boat that has a water separator.
I would appreciate some informed opinions on the use of a water remover in fuel that does not contain an excessive amount of water and as a maintenance process.

Isopropyl alcohol is supposed to absorb the water and allow it to burn,the old methanol (original Christy) would separate the water from the fuel and let it sit on the bottom of the tank.I dont know what happens when you add a bottle of Iso dry gas to 10% ethanol fuel,but I cant imagine a rather small bottle could make a big problem to say 10-20 gallons of fuel.

why your tank as so much water to begin with (that begs the question)?

Have you try running your tank down until just 1.5Gal before refueling with fresh fuel?

I personally have not experienced high water content in fuel here even though some of the underground fuel tanks are rusted through (and was noted by the local authorities for leaking fuel seeping into the soil), but moisture is never an issue here, including E10.

The only concern is marinas where fueling station has their tanks below the water line and many a times during refueling, they drop their hose into the water before screwing into the tank and thus bringing in more water than necessary.

I'd try another fueling station if the one you regularly visit suspect of having excessive water in it and see if your engine miss is related to moisture (most probably not).

Q.

I knew this would evolve to "excessive" water. I am really interested in whether a "maintenance dose" is necessary or worthwhile doing. When my Jeep did miss a little Ithe water remover corrected the problem although I had no idea how it got any water in the tank.
A boat with its open syatem is a differn't. I had to have my fuel tank siphoned out due to phase separation. The problem with siphoning is that a small amount of water can be left in the tank. It caused me to have to empty my water separator a couple of times out on the Bay until most of the remainignwater was picked up by the separator. It is a case like that whether I wonder if adding a water remover would be suggested since one of the small water seperators can fill fast and put one out of commission in the wrong area. When I saw what happened to the fuel in the baby jar I held up adding the water remover. Some folks have also said that it is not good to emulsify water in fuel and run it through an outboard engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back