Water Pump Weep Hole Initial Coolant Drip

No leaks so far, ran it for about a half hour including a 20 minute highway ride, switched from heat to ac, then back to heat. Parked it in the garage and put a couple of shop towels under it for the night, no sight of blue coolant. Learned enough I can only hope this lesson is over. I wish I could have gotten the lower radiator hose off to do a little more on the drain and fill, but the hose is in a difficult position and my instinct was better to leave it alone.

'Happy Happy' for now, thanks for following along and the guidance presented. I can only hope tomorrow is slowing the rust and nothing more coolant, well except to top off the radiator. Just to add, I like to have the overflow just above the full mark so I can always know with a quick glance if it is low.

Yes, going to send this one back for a refund, after reading here 'once the seal leaks' and reviewing the above video where at 1 minute he describes a difference between a few drops that evaporate and keep leaking, I have the latter and must resign myself to the coolant drain I wanted to avoid. Good part, free return shipping minus time spent...and I might have learned something.

I can only hope it's a quality one, but if eBay special doesn't last it has a 1 year warranty from a good seller. I now have the correct bolt for that installation and it's probabbly best option to minimize cost at that 1/20 bad part ratio risk. Alos beyond that 30 day eBay free return. I also took the front splash guard off so the lower radiator hose can be used to control draining the coolant, the radiator drain plug is a Philips looking fastener that doesn't seem to want to move so I am not opting for that. Thanks to all the contributors here.
We returned for testing many water pumps, the #1 cause Silicates, residual in the block, radiator, heads, etc, or ANTIFREEZE incorrect. The silicates trash the seal, and the liquid trashes the bearing.

And I could see where someone could easily add green coolant to a Kia. Records for mine are short for the last 80k but it was a 1 owner and the earlier records shows all dealership service, and it was green coolant when acquired. Used car dealer I got it at may not have been concerned about what green coolant to use. I am switching to blue doing the drain and fill, may consider 1 more before winter.

This morning checked and no coolant leak, radiator needed to be topped off a little as expected. Overflow reservoir still just above the full mark. That reservoir did have some small debris and staining like hard water in it when I cleaned it out, wasn't a lot but the funnel strainer had to be cleared, though it was mixed with what drained out the water pump and onto the lower components. None of the old coolant was returned this time and previously had been strained as I did reuse it temporarily not knowing if the timing cover was going to be removed again.

I am fairly sure that you will be OK. Several issues happen with today's vehicles, parallel flow Radiators make it just about impossible to flush correctly. The older SERPENTINE flow, in essence, one long piece of tubing, was much easier. The second issue is just ignorance of the chemistry going on in your cooling system. Full strength needs diluting with distilled water, Walmart has it really cheap. Good luck

Yes, all good after a trip around, I usually combine stops, mostly time being priority. Thanks for the radiator explanation, never thought of that and next time I'll at least have a better understanding when I flush that section. Stocked up on the Valvoline Asian, both red and blue for now, I did also get a couple of extra Super Tech's for top offs, even in the pre-diluted it's much cheaper than other options. Was looking over the listings for the OAW HY7330 water pump I now have installed, and thinking if it's good enough for the 2019 Hyundai Genesis, it's good enough for my application...

Yes, all good after a trip around, I usually combine stops, mostly time being priority. Thanks for the radiator explanation, never thought of that and next time I'll at least have a better understanding when I flush that section. Stocked up on the Valvoline Asian, both red and blue for now, I did also get a couple of extra Super Tech's for top offs, even in the pre-diluted it's much cheaper than other options. Was looking over the listings for the OAW HY7330 water pump I now have installed, and thinking if it's good enough for the 2019 Hyundai Genesis, it's good enough for my application...
Next time try a NPW pump. Napa has them as do some other retailers. Made in Japan, good quality. I believe they say in their FAQ's that a brand new water pump installation will leak from weep hole for a couple of minutes. They say it's normal. Also they say to spin the pump a couple of times in coolant horizontally, impeller face up before installation.

Thanks, will try that one next being there is a NAPA local and I think for this one I want to be able to exchange it locally if there is any issue. Actually had to change out the OAW, started dripping just as the cold was setting in and being I was feeling frugal I stuck the original one back in otherwise about $80 as I recall and I had a warm enough day - which means above freezing. The Sedona is just going to be short trip winter driven for the most part, so I'm opting to keep cost down on this one and the rust has already got a good start unfortunately, though I really like this van for ease of maintenance.

Original water pump I had replaced while having the timing cover off for preventive maintenance, just ran into that replacement part quality issue, twice... I thought of buying locally then but guessed at replacing the original being it didn't have any issue when I removed it, and it has held up since.

Back