Water Pump Weep Hole Initial Coolant Drip

Just put a new water pump on 2012 Kia Sedona, and I think I have found where a leak is coming from and I guess I am going to have to just keep driving it and see if it goes away. I'd estimate possibly up to 2 ounces of coolant has dripped out. I'd like to hear it's normal as discussed in this video;

Posted image shows I twisted a napkin and dipped it in behind the frost plug in front of the weep hole on the newly installed water pump, and there was much evidence of coolant there. I then took 2 ounces and filled the previous water pump weep hole chamber to see how much it would hold so I could estimate total coolant loss by also having observed what dripped underneath the vehicle at halfway point in the test trip. The cup shows what was left after initially filling to the 2 ounce mark. This image shows the location of the weep hole and the frost plug chamber in front of it, and that's the napkin.
20210830_135445.jpg

I was wondering about the max limit of a break-in period. Also included image of duct tape used to keep drive belt routing easier by taping the belt on the alternator and power steering pulleys, your results may vary.
More Information for GATES 42414
Every belt driven water pump has a weep hole that might leak a little in the beginning. Some seepage from the weep hole is normal during the break-in period (about 10 minutes), and does not indicate a defect.

Attachments

• 20210830_135401.jpg
    20210830_135401.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 20210830_135433.jpg
    20210830_135433.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210830_135445.jpg
    20210830_135445.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 109
  • 20210830_135959.jpg
    20210830_135959.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 20210830_142110.jpg
    20210830_142110.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 120
For a couple of hours I left a rag under the area where the weep hole is and another rag under the water pump and confirmed it is weep hole dripping, hopefully normal part of the process as shown above, but if I were having the job done by a shop and had this problem I would be less curious and more suspicious. Being it is my own work and I have another vehicle, I am able to give it a few days to see if it stops weeping. Here's a couple more images showing the wet rag and dry rag placement.

Attachments

• 20210830_180043.jpg
    20210830_180043.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 20210830_180059.jpg
    20210830_180059.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 113
A NEW water pump does not leak.
What brand of pump is this?
It will run for a while, but will seize up eventually. So since it's installed, obviously a defective pump, Airtex/ASC would say installation error and not warranty it.
I'm not sure I would get KIA oem, but a japanese/Korean pump is much better than mexico/usa junk at Advance/autozone.

You do not need to do this right away, but plan to do it in a couple of weeks.

This is the Gates 42414 linked earlier from Rock Auto, I got because of the lifetime warranty,
Limited Warranty
and because I tried to cheap out and get an eBay price, the one I received required a longer fastener at the 6mm hex bolt location, so I figured save it until bolt is acquired from the junkyard. I still have this one and the original which was functioning normally when removed, but I had an unknown maintenance history when removing the timing cover so I replaced it.

Thanks for all the observations, I'm thinking you've all confirmed my suspicion something is amiss and I need to either get a refund or replacement, that "seepage" and "10 minutes" has likely been exceeded. I see the junkyard visit in the near future and if this one hasn't stopped leaking soon, say 2 days more, to try to get a refund and either the eBay special or the old one will do, barring Rock Auto would only offer a replacement option.

I might have passed on the AISIN WPK812 one from Rock Auto because of the 6mm bolt difference, the Aisin show it needs the longer bolt at the bottom of the tube passage mold. I did look over several of the options at the time and the Gates had the same short bolt requirement and best warranty, my, I am sure glad I have another vehicle...although not a big problem in that it is easy to get at and the vehicle is only intended for local use.

Last edited:
Next day I used a plastic tub to put under the leak at each stop and after I got home, images are after 2 stops and being parked for about 3 hours. Just a trip to the junkyard, stop at the gas station, than home. Tomorrow I will wipe it all down and start a new observation. I got the bolt I needed for the longer fastener if I use the eBay water pump, bolt is included with this Rock Auto GMB 1467330 water pump listing. My plan is to go 1 or 2 more days with the tub and observe. It does look like it has slowed a bit, so I may be expecting a miracle, but I don't really want to deal with the draining the coolant if I wouldn't have to.

One more interesting point came just before 10 minutes in this video, Car Wizard explains his experience about 1 out of 20 new car parts comes bad out of the box.

Attachments

• 20210831_180233.jpg
    20210831_180233.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210831_180612.jpg
    20210831_180612.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 44
Yes, going to send this one back for a refund, after reading here 'once the seal leaks' and reviewing the above video where at 1 minute he describes a difference between a few drops that evaporate and keep leaking, I have the latter and must resign myself to the coolant drain I wanted to avoid. Good part, free return shipping minus time spent...and I might have learned something.

I can only hope it's a quality one, but if eBay special doesn't last it has a 1 year warranty from a good seller. I now have the correct bolt for that installation and it's probabbly best option to minimize cost at that 1/20 bad part ratio risk. Alos beyond that 30 day eBay free return. I also took the front splash guard off so the lower radiator hose can be used to control draining the coolant, the radiator drain plug is a Philips looking fastener that doesn't seem to want to move so I am not opting for that. Thanks to all the contributors here.

Exchange that Gates for an Aisin, any good hardware store has the bolt you need, probably an M6x1.0 x 20-30mm long flange bolt.
Gates buys from the lowest bidder and makes no hard parts only belts and hoses and even the formed hoses have seen a serious decline in quality.

Last edited:
Yes, probably wasn't the best route to get the eBay in the first place, but it's already paid for, warning noted and I look it over best I can. I could at worst case revert back to the original while waiting on the Aisin, which at least this is an easy job up to the coolant containment. Neighbor did that, dumped coolant all over and where it got on the grass, it turned yellow for a long time, part of it was my lawn otherwise I wouldn't have noticed so often...

Interesting on the Gates, got the 2 belts for the 3.3 Toyota, it has Dayco belts on, marked Toyota, but there is a lot of start-up squeal, so evetually I was going to clean the pulleys and replace the belts, can only hope to fair better here. And there is a recently installed Gate water pump on that one, going to have to watch that a little closer too, timing belt run, so it's under the timing cover. Thanks for the bolt size too, I'll look for that and get a couple of spares because there are 2 different molding for this water pump aplication, was going to go by the dealer and check for what they say is the correct one.

Statement is also listed at other manufacturers pages at Rock Auto;
AIRTEX AW6048
Every belt driven water pump has a weep hole that might leak a little in the beginning. Some seepage from the weep hole is normal during the break-in period (about 10 minutes), and does not indicate a defect.

Using that example because it is the 1 of the 2 cross referenced at the eBay listing water pump I just finished installing, next new pump is on and might happened here too. Filling with the new Valvoline blue coolant, and I see a drip forming comiung from under the pulley were the weep is, so as they state, I am going to wait it out for the day. It did leak just a couple of drops and after I dried it up it hasn't formed any more when I left the garage.

This eBay one has a 1 year warranty and I would have got the Gate replaced but I was able to get a refund there, where eBay is past 30 days. The other cross reference, GMB 1467330, has a Made in Korea stamped on it, so I think the one I got is more related to the Airtex, in that the casting is similar too, wonder if it came out of the same plant, but I suppose China manufacturing is bigger than I could ever imagine and the origins are numerous.

One of the risk of buying parts before you install them, run out of time for the refund. Sure has me rethinking that part about getting stuff local, which I usually use Advance Auto, 20% off is always appealing, and I sure be checking more often now.

Statement is also listed at other manufacturers pages at Rock Auto;
AIRTEX AW6048

Using that example because it is the 1 of the 2 cross referenced at the eBay listing water pump I just finished installing, next new pump is on and might happened here too. Filling with the new Valvoline blue coolant, and I see a drip forming comiung from under the pulley were the weep is, so as they state, I am going to wait it out for the day. It did leak just a couple of drops and after I dried it up it hasn't formed any more when I left the garage.

This eBay one has a 1 year warranty and I would have got the Gate replaced but I was able to get a refund there, where eBay is past 30 days. The other cross reference, GMB 1467330, has a Made in Korea stamped on it, so I think the one I got is more related to the Airtex, in that the casting is similar too, wonder if it came out of the same plant, but I suppose China manufacturing is bigger than I could ever imagine and the origins are numerous.

One of the risk of buying parts before you install them, run out of time for the refund. Sure has me rethinking that part about getting stuff local, which I usually use Advance Auto, 20% off is always appealing, and I sure be checking more often now.

I think that statement was added by Rock Auto, not by any manufacturer :sneaky:

Yes, must admit my naivety about it, I wasn't expecting any drips let alone a few drips could be usual. I have only replaced water pumps when doing a timing belt in the modern era and haven't ever had an issue there. The Gates water pump went to FedEx earlier, so if I go Rock Auto again it'll be the Aisin, but I'll likely go Advance Auto if in stock, which it is if I needed it today.

Well hopefully it's done, going for a test run after a bit and so far I let it set all afternoon and there is nothing more to report, it's been dry after a few initial drips when I filled the system.

To which I really like this Kia/Hyundai 3.5 motor in that it will take in about the same amount of coolant that I drained out. I need to remember to do the overflow reservoir too, was using Super Tech to top off as I wasn't ready to do the drain and fill but now it's time is due, and Advance Auto had the blue on sale...got the wiper blades too, power steering fluid and batteries, clearance specials all.

Back