Water Pump Swap 02 Silverado 6.0 (4.8, 5.3 Vortec)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey!

I have mine apart as we speak. I did not see ACDelco on the water pump. Do the ones from the dealer be made by ACDelco. I am wondering whether to try the dealer piece (and thermostat) or the one from the parts house.

I would like to keep the truck original.

I got all my parts on Rock Auto. All were AC Delco.
If you just get a new pump you will be fine. Don't mess with a rebuilt as the price is close to knew.

Originally Posted By: super20dan
my water pump just started leaking on my 99 5.3. pitiful gm its only got 73000 miles
How does that have anything to do with being a GM? Your truck is 16 years old. Gaskets and seals fail on every make and model.

super20dan,

Try to get a 10mm on the thermostat bolts. I am not exactly sure if the bolt on the Chevrolet was the 15mm or the 10mm, but one was quite loose. So you could take a minute before preparing for disassembly. Quarter inch ratchet, extension and 10mm. I just remember one of the bolts on the 364 was loose. The thermostat was a German Motorad, so is that likely stock or aftermarket? About 168,000 miles. I think I remember the Saturn I had used a German thermostat.

Your truck is about 16 years old. Have you been changing the dexcool every five years?

i have only owned it about 4 years but i did change the dex cool when i first got it.my neighbor has a 05 gmc and he allready had to change his pump also. mine is leaking from the weep hole. i am spoiled from owning toyotas for so long

my water pump just started leaking on my 99 5.3. pitiful gm its only got 73000 miles

It is pitiful indeed.

Interesting that we have a driveway full of Silverados and Savana/Express' and I cannot recall the last time we ever changed a water pump! Routinely driven well in excess of 200k miles, good ones all the way out to 500k miles...

i have only owned it about 4 years but i did change the dex cool when i first got it.my neighbor has a 05 gmc and he allready had to change his pump also. mine is leaking from the weep hole. i am spoiled from owning toyotas for so long

Of course, NO 'epitome of perfection' Toyota has EVER needed a water pump, even after 500K miles, correct?? :rolleyes:

our 04 highlander has 200k on the original pump . even my pos kia sorento has the original pump at 150k. the only good thing about my 99 silverado is the ls engine. the rest is pure garbage. when i change the pump-dexcool is not going back in.

In the world of auto parts it is a known fact that there is no rhyme or reason of how long certain parts will last. Water pumps and alternators are great examples. The continued "toyota is king" mentality is like a cancer on BITOG and totally unfounded. Drive your appliances and carry on...

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
In the world of auto parts it is a known fact that there is no rhyme or reason of how long certain parts will last. Water pumps and alternators are great examples. The continued "toyota is king" mentality is like a cancer on BITOG and totally unfounded. Drive your appliances and carry on...

Only to people with the name "GMBoy" who apparently see this bias under every rock...

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Only to people with the name "GMBoy" who apparently see this bias under every rock...

Who currently owns GM, Jeep, BMW and and Audi vehicles and had japanese makes in the past. Yeah real biased....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn

IF that were the case, then WHY do all of the Toy/import nameplate pushers come on EVERY thread concerning a GM/domestic nameplate, and BASH like their lives depended upon it??!!

I just do NOT see their 'gain' in doing this (unless they are MAJOR shareholders with the Nippon Giant), and I do NOT instantly jump on Toy threads incessantly to just bash away.
31.gif

Its 16 years old, like stated before gaskets and seals do fail. At work we have a fleet of about twenty 1500 and 2500 Chevys, the oldest is a 1997 and the newest is a 2015. A few 350 and 4.3 Vortecs, the rest are 5.3s and 6.0s. Severe service is what they are used to, they are used till the body rusts out as we are at a facility 1 mile from the Gulf. we normally see 160-200k on them before needing a water pump. All of these trucks besides the 2015s have between 190-250k miles and have been very reliable. When things break we fix it, otherwise we change the tranny fluid every 50k, coolant every 100k and we go by the OLM for the oil on the newer trucks. Its never let us down.

My ex had an 07 corolla. Here are some things replaced under warranty:
- Water pump at 30K - almost ready to pop - yes, a Toyota!
- PCM due to recall
- Most of the belt drive system due to noise, and it failed 2 years later right out of warranty.

Things I did:

- new tensioner and gatorback belt
- Repaired interior storage compartment
- Very thin paint that is prone to scratches, had to correct the paint.

Things dealer did:
$1500 catalytic converter due to rust out at the flange at 70k. She didn't want an aftermarket part! All cars listed below have ORIGINAL cats! The explorer has a new catback, others have original mufflers and pipes! I added a clamp here and there.

Still has issues like a bad clock display.

AND A LEAK FROM THE FRONT OIL SEAL. It is spreading on the pan. Crazy at 75K

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back