Water heater on/off?

Going on vacation for 10 days and my home will be checked daily. Do you recommend that I shut off the hot water valve and disconnect the electric power to it?
No set it to the "vacation " setting. Then turn it back up when home.

I'm doubting that the land owner is allowed (supposed to) touch the valve at the street, as it is the responsibility of the city/whoever utility provider and without their permission, might even be illegal.

Why at the street? Seems like overkill.
Not overkill....I have heard of some water valves in the house fail or start to leak...The one by the water meter and or pressure regulator is a solid in line valve that you turn with the tool that I mentioned that you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. By doing this you have NO water pressure going past the water meter into the house...So that leaves no possible leaks...

I'm doubting that the land owner is allowed (supposed to) touch the valve at the street, as it is the responsibility of the city/whoever utility provider and without their permission, might even be illegal.
Does not stop me. It is very simple to do...I also look at the water meter tickle valve at times just to check for any house leaks..that is the little arrow valve that will move at the slightest water use...

Not overkill....I have heard of some water valves in the house fail or start to leak...The one by the water meter and or pressure regulator is a solid in line valve that you turn with the tool that I mentioned that you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. By doing this you have NO water pressure going past the water meter into the house...So that leaves no possible leaks...
My meter is in the house, and the valve prior to the meter just takes a vice grips to close. I also have a ball valve just after the meter in the house and that is what I would close when leaving...they are reliable and I have no reason to believe it would fail. From what I've heard the street valves have a higher failure rate.

My meter is in the house, and the valve prior to the meter just takes a vice grips to close. I also have a ball valve just after the meter in the house and that is what I would close when leaving...they are reliable and I have no reason to believe it would fail. From what I've heard the street valves have a higher failure rate.
My meter is out by the street and the valve they use is solid....You actually can use a vice grip to turn it but you have to reach down to do it..With the tool you are standing up to do it...I also replaced my older valves in the house with the newer ball valve and they ate a 100 percent improvement over the old turn the handle type..

Back