Washing Undercarriage Prior To Oil Spray

How long do I let the undercarriage dry after washing before spraying? I use a garden hose to get rid of the dirt that has accumulated over the course of a year since the last spray. Will letting the truck sit for a day be enough for the undercarriage to dry out sufficiently?

I use dripless oil spray.

I use a strong traffic film remover which I leave to soak for 5 minutes and then thoroughly rinse the underside with a pressure washer.

I leave to dry for 24 hours and apply Lanogaurd (like Woolwax) with a Sealey SG18.

I gave mine about a week, and made sure I drove it, then parked in the garage if there was any threat of rain. The last thing I wanted to do is spray rustproofing into frame rails etc. where water could be trapped, even if the coating "displaces moisture." Overkill, maybe, but I didn't think so.

I don't wash it at all if it's before salt season. I simply apply it to whatever is left of my previous treatment, and then try to drive it on as many dirt roads as humanly possible before the next rainfall. It's been three weeks since my latest treatment, and I've been lucky enough to only have 2-3 light rain commutes in that time. There's a nice coating of dirt/dust/fluid film now...hopefully it'll hold up through winter.

But I like layers....years of treatments layered on top of each other.

I don't wash it at all if it's before salt season. I simply apply it to whatever is left of my previous treatment, and then try to drive it on as many dirt roads as humanly possible before the next rainfall. It's been three weeks since my latest treatment, and I've been lucky enough to only have 2-3 light rain commutes in that time. There's a nice coating of dirt/dust/fluid film now...hopefully it'll hold up through winter.

But I like layers....years of treatments layered on top of each other.
Wow. Do you find you have to run higher psi in the tires? 😁

Back