washing oem air filter, recomended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2008 lancerand have had a hard time finding a replacement fo r the airfilter so I was considering just washing it since it is really dirty. Car has 38k ans seems like it has never changed. Is it recomendable to just wash it?

Don't wash it.

You can vac it gently so long as you suck from the outside (you don't want to pull dust through the filter as then you'll make the filtering holes bigger).

Originally Posted By: luisrivera
sounds good, I will do that until I can find replacement which have to be online

and don't go crazy on the cleaning

essentially a filter does a better job for you when it has dust in it as it traps more when it is fuller.

obviously when it gets too full it becomes too restrictive and could collapse so there is a point where it becomes dangerous. if you tap it and dust comes out easily, then that means it is full.

But the above is why the change interval is 30k. Up until that point it is keeping your engine clean and the manufacturer has designed the intake to be sufficient all the way up to 30k. Changing it too often means more dust gets through to your engine.

For the 2008 Lancer, you have a few options on purchasing a brand new air filter if you desire. The options are:

Fram - CA 10497

STP - SA 10497

WIX - 49023

Purolator - A 35789

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back