Washing cars using microfiber towels

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I've generally found that the best way to speed up car washing is to not have to think about rinsing off or cleaning my sponge after every panel/section. So that results in having 6 or so sponges, just suds a clean one up, use it for a bit, then put it aside for the next panel.

I don't use waterless washing, so I'm not terribly familiar, though I know folks use microfiber for that...

But I came upon this auto geek article where essentially just 12 microfiber towels are employed in lieu of sponges.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...ps-traditional-hose-bucket-approach.html

It seems to be sensible from a size, cleanliness and speed perspective. They can be folded and flipped to give more wash surface.

Does anyone use this approach instead of sponges or MF mitts?

Is a Grit Guard in the equation? Because those work incredibly well for keeping sediment at the bottom of the soap bucket.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Is a Grit Guard in the equation? Because those work incredibly well for keeping sediment at the bottom of the soap bucket.

Always use a grit guard.

The situation is that without careful cleaning of the sponge after each panel, they can scratch/swirl. Cleaning them properly takes time. Not cleaning them requires more sponges (batch wash them afterwards or in the washing machine, not while washing).

I've been very successful in keeping our cars scratch and swirl free through super careful cleaning of multiple sponges. It's just that they're bulky. You could have far more wash media, far easier to keep and maintain, though using towels instead of sponges. That's what peaked my curiosity.

Anything that saves me time so that I can actually do the upkeep I want is worth my consideration.

If Incan trim 15 minutes off of a car wash that takes me 1-1.5 hours otherwise, I'll take it. I just don't have free time to do this stuff anymore. At all. Anything that saves time is welcome, assuming that it complies with my standards.

I use the chenille mitt. It gets washed after every use. I also use the two bucket method with grit guards.

I prefer the chenille over a sponge because grit can stay embedded in a sponge. The long fingers of the chenille will release the grit much easier in the rinse bucket. As always, using a high quality shampoo with high lubricity and good suds is essential.

If Incan trim 15 minutes off of a car wash that takes me 1-1.5 hours otherwise, I'll take it. I just don't have free time to do this stuff anymore. At all. Anything that saves time is welcome, assuming that it complies with my standards.

I hear you. Everyone has their standards level and amount of time they are willing to put into it. With detailing, I find you reach a certain level and anything beyond that isn't even worth the added effort.

12 microfiber towels is a lot. I like a good microfiber wash mitt.

This is what I narrowed my products down to:

Meguiar's Soap
Meguiar's Quik Detailer
Any wheel cleaner
Turtle Wax Shine N Seal (covers exterior/plastic/glass/wheels)
Hyper-Dressing
2 microfiber wash mitts
2 buckets

I keep 10 or so medium quality microfiber towels for follow up/wax etc.

I would cringe at someone using a sponge, with all those nooks and crannies holding dirt and scratching the paint every time you use it. A MF towel is too thin and has no body. It would be like using a paper towel. I use a MF mitt but as you would a sponge, not wearing it.

I wouldn't use a sponge. I use two of these Wash mitts and the two bucket method with grit guards. About halfway through the wash I rotate the second mitt in. When I'm done everything that can be washed gets tossed in the washing machine, when dry, placed in sealed plastic bags for the next car wash. Or I'll wash my work van with them, then toss them in the washer. So far so good.

I cleaned about 10 microfiber towels this weekend. I used Tide detergent in warm water, ultra-clean setting on washer with second rinse. No heat dry. Came out good.

I use microfibers with the two bucket method with grit guards in both. I use a specific one for the top section of the vehicles and use a different one for the lower part of the panel (from the rubber guard on the doors downward.

I also rinse that panel just before I actually wash it. Then I rinse it after doing one or two doors at a time.

I cringe when I see even the experts on youtube using the two bucket method but they are going up and down the entire length of the door panel. It takes me a bit longer, but I want to minimize the scratches on the upper part of the vehicle.

Yup. i have a 12 year old tacoma with very good paint that is my daily driver. i wash with a simple two sponge method. i wash the botton first with sponge 1. up to about thr midline stripe. two bucket method used . once done empty the dirty bucket and refill. top off tye clean bucket. the do the rest with the sponge 2.

i keet sponge 1 and 2 seperatr (different colors) so i dont use then interchangably,

you dont need to scrub hard to get the dirt off, with good soap wet it up first and let tye soap work on it for a few minutes before wiping. just walk around the car wetting the panels first then start washing. the first panel you did will be loosened up and will come clean with a gentle wipe.

keeping a good wax on your car work for this too. makes it harder for stuff to stick.

I've used grout sponges for years. I spray them clean after each panel. No swirls or scratches at all.

You can easily determine cleanliness by color/looking at it.

Chenille, microfiber and lambswool all hold grit and need to be rinsed each panel too, IMO.

Originally Posted by JC1
I use microfibers with the two bucket method with grit guards in both. I use a specific one for the top section of the vehicles and use a different one for the lower part of the panel (from the rubber guard on the doors downward.

I also rinse that panel just before I actually wash it. Then I rinse it after doing one or two doors at a time.

I cringe when I see even the experts on youtube using the two bucket method but they are going up and down the entire length of the door panel. It takes me a bit longer, but I want to minimize the scratches on the upper part of the vehicle.

Totally agree. I always stop washing the panel at a specified place, and then have a separate (microfiber) sponge for the lower sections. The two never mix, the lower section sponge is a different color.

OP, thanks for passing that along. I've never tried the multi-towel trick but will give it a shot. Makes a lot of sense! Every time I go to Horror Freight, I pick-up a 3 pack of their microfiber towels. Sometimes they have them for 99c specials. I've been using 2 mitts. Green for top-side and blue for front bumper, bottom side of rear bumper, kickpanels and lip of wheel-wells.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back