Washable HVAC Filters

I am thinking of upgrading my current washable HVAC filters that I got at Home Depot a couple of years ago. As far as I can tell, they are MERV 4.

I would like something that filters a little better, but doesn't restrict too much. I see that K&N makes a filter, but it's MERV 11. Is that too high?

Any recommendations?

dont use your furnace as an air filter..

I typically buy the cheapest pleated type, its real job is just to keep junk out of your furnace.

IIRC merv 11 is abit high but possibly not too high. It also helps if you tell us what size.

one of those 4" thick ones flows alot more than a 12x20x1"

I am thinking of upgrading my current washable HVAC filters that I got at Home Depot a couple of years ago. As far as I can tell, they are MERV 4.

I would like something that filters a little better, but doesn't restrict too much. I see that K&N makes a filter, but it's MERV 11. Is that too high?

Any recommendations?
I used one for 13 years in my last house. Worked fine. Don't remember the brand.

MERV 11 is fine, it filters some allergen also like Pollen, etc.

IMO, MERV 4 is too low. You need at least MERV 8.

Any recommendations?
I recommend you stick with the cheapest MERV 6-8 filters. This is of course, unless you have some very specific criteria, in which case you would not be asking this question. Change the filter every 3 months at most, more if you have pets etc.

*My source is a grandfather who has done HVAC for 50 years, and a friend of mine I grew up with, who has done HVAC for the last 8 or so. Both are of the same opinion.

The recommendation that the HVAC contractor that I hired from this site who installed my appliances and everything HVAC related gave is to use a MERV 8. That’s what they installed right from the get go but they said I could opt for a MERV 11 if we’re sensitive to allergens. MERV 4 is too low for me, I suggest go for a MERV 8 or MERV 11 just check if it’s not too restrictive for you if you opt for the latter.

A 'new' homeowner might make the mistake of using a high MERV (10, 13 +) filter thinking he's going to clean the air better.
Then, because of the high cost, the filter doesn't get changed enough, causing other problems (strain on blower motor).

The filter is there to keep inside of furnace & duct work clean / indirectly cleaning the air for the occupants.

For me, a MERV 10 is fine, or I'd could use a MERV 11 / changed 3x year.
I don't need to filter out smog, virus's, odors.

It's also important to vacuum the house to keep dust from entering the cold air returns.

Next time I get a new furnace, I would upgrade the filter from 1" to 4"
That should give me less pressure drop and maybe go to slightly higher MERV.

Just my 2 cents.

Back