Lots of filter talk here - how about home hvac air filters

Originally Posted by knerml
Originally Posted by JustinH
There is a company called Nordic Pure they are either in Texas or Oklahoma.

They have been very good to work with, I have been using them for about two years now.

Also like Nordic Pure filters.

Use Merv-8 filters. I feel this is a good balance between filtering and air flow.

This

I use the cheapest Filtrete they have at Meijer, never had an issue. Might step up one if allergies rear their ugly head, which usually takes care of the problem.

Last edited:
Home Depot in NC has Reem pleated filters that I buy for my home system. They are like merv 6 and are much better than the fiberglass rock catcher filters. I will keep them in for 3 months at a time. After 1 1/2 months I will blow them out with my air compressor.

Originally Posted by J_mo
Theres lots of talk about any type of filter under the sun here. May I pick your brains on air filters for home hvac?
I'm looking for an alternative to the 3m fpr 10/ merv 13 filters that are $20 each. My home uses 2 at a time.

I'd like to stick to merv 13 or above providing my hvac wont become restricted. It seems impossible to shop these days and get truth based information other than the forums.

Alternative in what way(s) specifically?

Dimension

Materials of Construction

Weave

Cost

Beta

( would say service life but that's really dependent on several factors)

This is similar to the article by the original Bob on this site about fifteen years ago. He was the defender of Fram [censored]'s because he said that better filtering meant less flow. Air or oil, cars or homes, it's all fluid.

Originally Posted by csandste
This is similar to the article by the original Bob on this site about fifteen years ago. He was the defender of Fram [censored]'s because he said that better filtering meant less flow. Air or oil, cars or homes, it's all fluid.

I can't believe what was censored- it's completely absurd.

There are too many configurations of return air setups (not to mention add-on humidifiers and PCO units) to make any blanket recommendations about the best filter type to use. My system was built with inadequate return air. I added additional duct and a second filter grill. Both grills accommodate 1" filter. I use MERV8 pleated filters. Systems with 4" and 5" filters can use higher MERV filters, but I think MERV11 ought to be good enough in those cases. If you use higher MERV rated filters I'd recommend changing them more often.

Personally, I like a cheap pleated filter over a mesh or fiberglass one, simply because they stop more crap from building up in the ducts and being blown throughout the house.

I second the idea of installing cheaper filters (prefilters) in the return air grills, especially if you're running expensive filters at the air handler. Let the cheap filter catch the big stuff, saving your expensive filters for the little stuff just before the machine.

Back