Warren introduces first API 0W-16 synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MikeHigg
This is an impressive achievement for the Warren technical team. Very impressive.
Warren Technical Team knows how to use a phone and call Lubrizol to ask them to sell them a DI package & base oil recipe. That comes with the certifications too.

Of course just because a couple of formulators have the grade in their product line up doesn't mean it's available or that they will be the first to market.
Honda et al still haven't specified the grade for any North American sold vehicle yet so until they do no retailer is going to order it.

And if the history of the Japanese adoption of the 0W-20 grade for North American sold vehicles is anything to go by the 0W-16 grade
will be first available from the OEMs and then the after-market.

Originally Posted By: Solarent
In case you wanted to know... here is the full list of 0W16 licenses currently issued by the API:

EOLCS Search Results

Note there are 5 companies that are marketing 0W16 in North America -

Ravenol (From German company RAVENSBERGER SCHMIERSTOFFVERTRIEB GMBH and listed as such under the country)
AIOD (out of Montrose Co)
Warren Oil Company
COMERCIAL IMPORTADORA, S.A. DE C.V (these guys are from Mexico, which despite what some people think, is still North America)
RALOY LUBRICANTES, SA DE CV (also from Mexico)

As far as I know Lubrizol is the only major additive company that has announced a 0W16 Package:
http://newscenter.lubrizol.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=250972&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2051646

Penrite in Oz sell a 0W16, which I haven't seen on the shelves.
But their "race 0W20" has an HTHS below 2.6, which means they've been selling a 0W16 for the last half decade.

(note: not API licenced, for sure)

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Of course just because a couple of formulators have the grade in their product line up doesn't mean it's available or that they will be the first to market.
Honda et al still haven't specified the grade for any North American sold vehicle yet so until they do no retailer is going to order it.

And if the history of the Japanese adoption of the 0W-20 grade for North American sold vehicles is anything to go by the 0W-16 grade

I agree. No vehicles in North America is spec'ed with 0W16, no retailers will stock it. Why should they stock something of no use for any vehicle on the road today ?

I don't know, the Ravenoil PDS (if the other companies lubes are of similar construction) would indicate to me that there's coming to the market some very shear stable, potentially lower volatility lubes coming.

I'd take the Ravenol over some of the uber high VI 0W20 offerings that end up at 2.4 HTHS pretty quickly.

Personally I think 0W16 will be adopted fairly quickly.

Originally Posted By: Benito
Jackie-Gleason-Smokey-and-The-Bandit.jpg

Added for effect:

OOoof!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

I agree. No vehicles in North America is spec'ed with 0W16, no retailers will stock it. Why should they stock something of no use for any vehicle on the road today ?

BITOGer demand.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Solarent
In case you wanted to know... here is the full list of 0W16 licenses currently issued by the API:

EOLCS Search Results

Note there are 5 companies that are marketing 0W16 in North America -

Ravenol (From German company RAVENSBERGER SCHMIERSTOFFVERTRIEB GMBH and listed as such under the country)
AIOD (out of Montrose Co)
Warren Oil Company
COMERCIAL IMPORTADORA, S.A. DE C.V (these guys are from Mexico, which despite what some people think, is still North America)
RALOY LUBRICANTES, SA DE CV (also from Mexico)

As far as I know Lubrizol is the only major additive company that has announced a 0W16 Package:
http://newscenter.lubrizol.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=250972&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2051646

Penrite in Oz sell a 0W16, which I haven't seen on the shelves.
But their "race 0W20" has an HTHS below 2.6, which means they've been selling a 0W16 for the last half decade.

(note: not API licenced, for sure)

Penrite Enviro 0W-16
API SN

EPLUSHYB0W16005.png

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Warren oil has to be one of the best blenders in the industry. I'm very surprised to see them to be the first one out with a certified product.

This shows that they have been working on developing it for a while. 0w16 will be the new 0w20 in 10 years.

They just bought a recipe and materials form Lubrizol, Afton, Oronite, or Infineum. Anybody know which? Base oil could come from SOPUS, XOM, and I don't know who else.
I would say Warren has hero status, but they just blend.

One should not under estimate the difficulties or challenges associated with blending process. Even though you have the recipe, it's one thing to cook it in a lab than implement it in manufacturing. Many recipes has to be adjusted for the particular plant's manufacturing processes. Many things can go wrong and usually does when new recipe is implemented.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161
Seems like a nice oil to thin out some 10w40 that could be picked up off the clearance rack.

This'll be convenient, since you'll soon find both grades on the clearance rack.

Warren probably just used one of the Frankenbrew formulas on BITOG to mix up some 0W-16.

10W-40, some MMO, eye of newt, a dash of oregano....

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Warren probably just used one of the Frankenbrew formulas on BITOG to mix up some 0W-16.

10W-40, some MMO, eye of newt, a dash of oregano....

And a moly additive!!

I may try this new 0W16 in my daughter 2014 Accord LX with CVT. The oil spec is 0W20, since the engine is turning at less than 2500-3000 RPM more than 90-95% of the time the car is driven, 0W16 is probably okay. I don't have the gut(or foolish) to try this in my S2000, this car sees 4300-5000 RPM more than 50-60% of the time and few times up to 8000 RPM whenever the car is driven.

With this thinner oil she needs to check the level at every fill up.

Since these oils depend so heavily on additives they may be handy for blending. Otherwise I see no use for them except gaining manufacturers more CAFE bucks.

I wouldn't mind trying some in my Prius for giggles, but I can't locate a source for this stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back