Warren introduces first API 0W-16 synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Note: There are a few "Warren"s out there. This is NOT WPp or WNE, IIRC.

Which one of these is Supertech?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Forget about heavy oils like the 0W-16 grade! Cars like the Honda Fit, Insight etc are already running on a 0W-12 equivalent oil grade if not a 0W-8 in Japan.
Check out the VOA on the Honda ULTRA Next below:

www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3709766/1

Now this is a seriously light oil with a KV100 of 5.1cSt and a spectacularly low KV40 of only 21.8cSt.

Jackie-Gleason-Smokey-and-The-Bandit.jpg

I doubt it will make much of a difference. I can hardly tell a difference between using 5w20 and 5w30.. not sure how 0w16 and 0w20 will be much if any difference..

Id be interested in trying an oil like this in my Accord Hybrid, if Honda allows... The engine isn't even on all the time, so the oil should stay somewhat cooler, and this might pump up better.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Warren oil has to be one of the best blenders in the industry. I'm very surprised to see them to be the first one out with a certified product.

This shows that they have been working on developing it for a while. 0w16 will be the new 0w20 in 10 years.

They just bought a recipe and materials form Lubrizol, Afton, Oronite, or Infineum. Anybody know which? Base oil could come from SOPUS, XOM, and I don't know who else.
I would say Warren has hero status, but they just blend.
So does Amsoil, Redline, Valvoline ,,on and on.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id be interested in trying an oil like this in my Accord Hybrid, if Honda allows... The engine isn't even on all the time, so the oil should stay somewhat cooler, and this might pump up better.

Again one really needs to know the spec's on this oil, specifically the KV40. If it's anything like the Ravenol 0W-16 which has a KV40 of 38.4cSt which is a higher than both TGMO 0W-20 and MGMO 0W-20 then I see no advantage in a hybrid engine.

I'd suggest trying one of those oils first at least until Honda comes out with their own 0W-16 assuming it becomes spec'd for the Accord at all.

In case you wanted to know... here is the full list of 0W16 licenses currently issued by the API:

EOLCS Search Results

Note there are 5 companies that are marketing 0W16 in North America -

Ravenol (From German company RAVENSBERGER SCHMIERSTOFFVERTRIEB GMBH and listed as such under the country)
AIOD (out of Montrose Co)
Warren Oil Company
COMERCIAL IMPORTADORA, S.A. DE C.V (these guys are from Mexico, which despite what some people think, is still North America)
RALOY LUBRICANTES, SA DE CV (also from Mexico)

As far as I know Lubrizol is the only major additive company that has announced a 0W16 Package:
http://newscenter.lubrizol.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=250972&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2051646

Originally Posted By: Benito
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Forget about heavy oils like the 0W-16 grade! Cars like the Honda Fit, Insight etc are already running on a 0W-12 equivalent oil grade if not a 0W-8 in Japan.
Check out the VOA on the Honda ULTRA Next below:

www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3709766/1

Now this is a seriously light oil with a KV100 of 5.1cSt and a spectacularly low KV40 of only 21.8cSt.

Jackie-Gleason-Smokey-and-The-Bandit.jpg

Excellent!
Jackie Gleason in one of his funniest roles as Sheriff Bulford T. Justice.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Note: There are a few "Warren"s out there. This is NOT WPp or WNE, IIRC.

Which one of these is Supertech?

WPp

...you can see the logo on the bottom of the jugs.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
To heck with 16W - TOO thin!!! I'll stick with my thicker 20WT no matter what the spec for my car is!

I can see it now! 10 years from now when our kids have cars...
"My dad ran 0w-20 and it did well for him I am not going to run that 0w-16 or 0w-12 water oil junk. Good thick 0w-20 for me!"

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
... SAE 0W-16 Full Synthetic Motor Oil...

Is "synthetic" redundant in this statement? I thought it's not possible or practical to make 0W motor oil out of conventional oil. Too volatile.

As the viscosity spread becomes less going from 0w20 to 0w16, 0w12, and 0w8, there would be less need for high-VI base stocks. I suppose conventional base stocks could be used if they are catalytically cracked and hydrotreated to get a tight distribution of molecular weight. Just use the same basestocks that are used in the higher viscosity oils, and leave out the VII's.

Originally Posted By: Solarent
In case you wanted to know... here is the full list of 0W16 licenses currently issued by the API:

EOLCS Search Results

Note there are 5 companies that are marketing 0W16 in North America -

Ravenol (From German company RAVENSBERGER SCHMIERSTOFFVERTRIEB GMBH and listed as such under the country)
AIOD (out of Montrose Co)
Warren Oil Company
COMERCIAL IMPORTADORA, S.A. DE C.V (these guys are from Mexico, which despite what some people think, is still North America)
RALOY LUBRICANTES, SA DE CV (also from Mexico)

As far as I know Lubrizol is the only major additive company that has announced a 0W16 Package:
http://newscenter.lubrizol.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=250972&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2051646

Good information. In the press release Warren clarifies that "LubriGold SAE 0W-16 Full Synthetic Motor Oil is the first API approved 0W-16 in the US market." (Emphasis added)

If the other license holders have not yet placed bottles on retail shelves in the US, then his claim is valid. It can be difficult to place such a low demand product at retail, but Warren has a huge distribution network which may have given him the jump on competition.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

Good information. In the press release Warren clarifies that "LubriGold SAE 0W-16 Full Synthetic Motor Oil is the first API approved 0W-16 in the US market." (Emphasis added)

If the other license holders have not yet placed bottles on retail shelves in the US, then his claim is valid. It can be difficult to place such a low demand product at retail, but Warren has a huge distribution network which may have given him the jump on competition.

Tom NJ

I agree. Also the other marketers don't have the recognition of the media the same way that Warren does. They are much better at getting the word out.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: beanoil
The diet oil.
Does this make 20 weight officially an oil that is too thick?

To heck with 16W - TOO thin!!! I'll stick with my thicker 20WT no matter what the spec for my car is!

Next thing you know, kerosene will be used as a lubricating oil.
15.gif

30 weight is the lowest I would ever go.
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back