Warranty work

Thanks, I'll need the luck. I made an appointment for this Wednesday and fully described the issues in writing so I don't forget anything when I go there. Requested a tech rides with me, I don't think they will be able to miss the noise. I took a video, as well (it's much louder in the video than it is in person). Attached, if you had a similar noise.

Probably. They won’t ride with me due to covid, and haven’t even driven my car more than 3-5 miles at a time. Every time I’ve dropped it with a full tank and told them drive it all week, drive it to lunch, drive it home, just drive it like it’s yours and eventually they’ll hear the noise. They always return it with an additional 3-5 miles on it though.
The creaking noises are likely the lower control arm bushings.
I still have a rattle which is something in my left front strut. I can’t duplicate it on a jack, so unless it gets so bad I can isolate it, I’ll probably follow the TSB and replace my strut’s bump stop, although I’m unsure how it’d make such a noise. When I do that, I’ll inspect the strut mount and strut, and replace it I see a reason, or reassemble, and go from there. I can do the work myself, it just sucks to be fixing a car that should’ve been fixed while under warranty.

Probably. They won’t ride with me due to covid, and haven’t even driven my car more than 3-5 miles at a time. Every time I’ve dropped it with a full tank and told them drive it all week, drive it to lunch, drive it home, just drive it like it’s yours and eventually they’ll hear the noise. They always return it with an additional 3-5 miles on it though.
The creaking noises are likely the lower control arm bushings.
I still have a rattle which is something in my left front strut. I can’t duplicate it on a jack, so unless it gets so bad I can isolate it, I’ll probably follow the TSB and replace my strut’s bump stop, although I’m unsure how it’d make such a noise. When I do that, I’ll inspect the strut mount and strut, and replace it I see a reason, or reassemble, and go from there. I can do the work myself, it just sucks to be fixing a car that should’ve been fixed while under warranty.
Yeah, I worry about dealers, man...but I'll go in calm and patient. How long was yours making the creaking noises until you got it fixed? I hear you about the warranty work that you know needs to be done. For me, I might be SOL because it was a CPO and they could try and skirt the TSB and make me pay for non-covered work, since struts and shocks aren't covered. I'll go cry in a hole if that happens. On my Tacoma, it took me three visits to the dealer before they came out grinning ear to ear that they finally found the issue and were happy to work on it.

I'm also going to bring up that I think my front struts (possibly the rear shocks) are bouncing more than they should so I'm wondering if it's at all related.

The TSB I'm referring to is this one: Bulletin No.: 02-002/18

Let me know if that's the one you pursued.

Last edited:
Yeah, I worry about dealers, man...but I'll go in calm and patient. How long was yours making the creaking noises until you got it fixed? I hear you about the warranty work that you know needs to be done. For me, I might be SOL because it was a CPO and they could try and skirt the TSB and make me pay for non-covered work, since struts and shocks aren't covered. I'll go cry in a hole if that happens. On my Tacoma, it took me three visits to the dealer before they came out grinning ear to ear that they finally found the issue and were happy to work on it.

I'm also going to bring up that I think my front struts (possibly the rear shocks) are bouncing more than they should so I'm wondering if it's at all related.

The TSB I'm referring to is this one: Bulletin No.: 02-002/18

Let me know if that's the one you pursued.
Yes that is it.
They were too lazy to install LCA bushings, and since my vin falls just out of the range I’m sure they were easily able to get away with entire new LCA’s, which is fine with me. Less chance for error / butchering.
I think I’ll buy and do my own strut mount and bump stop one day. Just sucks to do without a shop (used to work for THIS dealer 10-11 years but am now in a government shop I can’t do anything for myself in).

Yes that is it.
They were too lazy to install LCA bushings, and since my vin falls just out of the range I’m sure they were easily able to get away with entire new LCA’s, which is fine with me. Less chance for error / butchering.
I think I’ll buy and do my own strut mount and bump stop one day. Just sucks to do without a shop (used to work for THIS dealer 10-11 years but am now in a government shop I can’t do anything for myself in).
Dropped it off. Of course, it rained last night when I was driving and the creaking noise is gone. They acknowledged this can happen in the rain. Was going to ride around with a tech but it was taking a little too long so I just left the car with them. Unfortunately, I will have to pay a $149 diagnostic fee since wear items are not covered under the CPO warranty. Sigh. Will see what they say...

You can see my update in this thread:

In a nutshell, the creaks and crunches could not be reproduced and they can't find anything wrong with the suspension.

Back