Warranty issues

I have a 2018 f150 5.0 4wd crew cab. I’ve been using 5w30 oil which has helped eliminate the oil consumption issues. However, my son informed me that if there’s and engine issue, that ford could refuse to repair it under the warranty because the owners manual says 5w20. Is that possibly true???
The manual for the newer f150s with the 5.0 say to use 5w30.

I have a 2018 f150 5.0 4wd crew cab. I’ve been using 5w30 oil which has helped eliminate the oil consumption issues. However, my son informed me that if there’s and engine issue, that ford could refuse to repair it under the warranty because the owners manual says 5w20. Is that possibly true???
Others on here will try to argue this whole situation, I won't pay any mind to it, the people that argue it won't guarantee it with their own money.

Simple answer is yes Ford could refuse to repair your vehicle under warranty.

I don't know why anybody wouldn't used the spec'ed oil under a warranty situation. It's just not worth it.

Doubt it that Ford would deny warranty if 5W-30 was used because the Ford rep told me Ford would have to prove the 5W-30 caused the damage. I asked the ford rep using the customer number in the owners manual when I bought my 2015 Ford F150 with the 2.7 engine.

They can deny warranty for failure to properly maintain the vehicle. Is using 5w-30 failure to maintain? I don't think so. It's already 5 years old, how much warranty is left on it?

My son had extensive engine repairs in February to his 2020 Explorer with the 3.0 twin turbo ecoboost. Warranty covered it. He has always had the oil changed at the local Valvoline Lube probably with whatever it specs and has records. I don't think the Ford dealer ever asked him for that documentation. I'll have to ask him but I don't think so.

My son had extensive engine repairs in February to his 2020 Explorer with the 3.0 twin turbo ecoboost. Warranty covered it. He has always had the oil changed at the local Valvoline Lube probably with whatever it specs and has records. I don't think the Ford dealer ever asked him for that documentation. I'll have to ask him but I don't think so.
According to Ford service techs on the truck boards-for major motor repairs oil samples have been taken and analyzed. Not saying this is the norm-but it has been done.

I would stay with 0w20. I just read the manual and no other choice but 20 grade with a warning that any other choice could cause damage and not warrantee. Recommend not require so as long as meets specs and not let them know. If they are curious let them send oil in for clarification.

FWIW some years of that 5.0 motor can be real oil guzzlers. My buddy just had his replaced on warranty at 60,000 miles. (He'd been reporting excessive oil consumption from about 40,000 miles but it took multiple test runs to get the repair approved). They pull the truck cab off to swap motors and the repair was done flawlessly...quite impressive. So he's got a 4 year old truck with a brand new motor. The cost to Ford on these must be serious dollars.

Why even risk it. Before you take it back in change to Motorcraft 5W-20 and put a New Motorcraft filter on it as much as they'd like to avoid warranty no sense giving them a reason.

I'm pretty sure that ford approved 5w-30 for that engine.
But to deny warranty ford would have to prove that incorrect oil was used and that its what caused engine failure.

I agree with CKN. I have always taken my new vehicles to the dealer for oil changes while the vehicle is under warranty. I figure it is more expensive but it covers your ass if something goes bad. After warranty period is over I do my own oil changes with oil of my choosing.

Reactions: CKN
This question simply can't be answered by anyone here. Whether a dealer can get a warranty claim approved by the manufacturer is not a simple thing - the dealer really is the warranty gatekeeper here even though they aren't the ones that approve it in the end. As much as everyone that chimes in thinks that they have to prove this or that, that could require a lawyer and a courtroom something most aren't going to bother with if it's denied. One thing that gauarntees (at least to the extent you can) a smoother warranty claim process in the event of a major powertrain failure that the lubrication *could* come into question is using the oil that the manufacturer calls out in the owner's manual and having good records of the maintenance DIY, third-party shop, or dealer. If you are comfortable that this won't be an issue, then of course, do what you want. Personally? I can't imagine a situation where you would 1) have a big engine issue AND 2) have to provide records AND 3) have the dealer/OE tell you that using 5W30 vs. 5W20 denies it (if they even noticed this level of detail beyond "I changed my oil"). But again, that's me, not you...it is possible and that's the crux here.

Last edited:
Amsoil has ALWAYS stated to run the recommended viscosity.

After the first couple fills of 0W-20, I run 0W-30 in all our cars. I don't give a poop, because the oil is not going to ruin the engine. Period.
I don't think anyone said the wrong oil is going to ruin an engine. We are in agreement here. Non spec'ed oil opens a window to a warranty denial-that's the issue.

I don't think anyone said the wrong oil is going to ruin an engine. We are in agreement here. Non spec'ed oil opens a window to a warranty denial-that's the issue.
And the car company must prove it was the oil that caused the problem.

I know, I know. It will be a hassle, no one wants to fight. No need to repeat that. But it IS the truth and auto manufacturers know it.

They are only going to know that you used a 5W30 if you tell them you did. Even if they were to get the oil lab-tested, oil often goes out of grade due to shearing or oxidative thickening. If you were worried, you could change out some of the oil before bringing the vehicle to the dealer if you were to have an engine issue. It is also easy enough to get receipts for the correct oil if you think you'll need them.

Back