Warranty issues from lost oil receipts

It's a long shot but if OP bought oil and filters at O'Reilly or Auto Zone or Advance, and if OP has the rewards card at any of those stores and if OP showed his card each time he bought oil and filters, then the store manager just might be able to pull up his purchase history and print that out for OP to show the dealership he really did buy oil and filters and change the oil. OP will need his record of the dates and mileage of each oil change, and it would help back up his case if he has proof of all other maintenance done as well. That scenario is a very long shot though.

OP could also ask the dealer to pull off the valve cover, or possibly also pull the oil pan if they have not done so already. A good dealership will agree to that and will check for sludge or other evidence of lack of maintenance/oil changes. OP would have to agree to pay the labor time for removing the pan and cover if the warranty claim winds up denied. A good tech or service manager can tell if an engine has not been taken care of. If the valvetrain looks good, they could possibly use that as verification the oil has been changed regularly and then a good dealership will use that inspection as proof enough OP or someone else has been changing the oil on schedule. The key to all that is, whether the dealer is willing to check the valvetrain and go to bat for OP with the warranty administrator.

This also depends heavily on how the extended warranty is written. If it specifically states OP has to provide all sales receipts and records of all maintenance, whether it was DIY or not, OP and the dealer may not get much help from the warranty admins. I really hope the dealer and warranty admins are able to do the right thing and help OP with this problem.
If the engine is burning oil, which is the issue that is happening to the V6 engine broadly, does that leave sludge?

If the engine is burning oil, which is the issue that is happening to the V6 engine broadly, does that leave sludge?
Someone else here with a better understanding of the innards of a Hyundai engine will have to answer that one. As I understand it though sludge happens when you go too long and too many miles without changing the oil. The dealer can check for sludge or other evidence of lack of maintenance once they get the engine at least partially torn down.

It seems overkill but I bought a cheap vid cam and actually record each change on my '19 JL. I film the odo on dash (which I think shows up rather pixelated and likely illegible to the viewer), the date on my cell phone screen (could be spoofed, sure) and show myself pouring the fresh oil in to a funnel in valve cover.

Again, it's all a bit absurd...fortunately the JL is the only thing I have under a warranty of any kind and I don't trust the 3.6 or FCA/Stellantis

If you have a vehicle with a warranty, always keep the receipts and always keep the service checks in the owners manual up to date.
Just keep the receipts in or with the manual. Can't blame them for wanting to deny the warranty with no proof of anything.
Since the engines are problems, they should offer a super good deal on a new one though.

Good luck buck-o. I just posted what happened on my personal Facebook. One friend sent me a picture of his Hyundai Santa Fe SE on the side of the road with the EXACT same issue I just had. He’s waiting on a tow. Then at least three others have commented about their Hyundai nightmare stories. You can either learn from others pain or learn from your own. I won’t be owning another Hyundai ever again. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Wish someone would have done the same for me
Yea-I seem to be an exception to the rule. I change the oil frequently. On another note I run Chinese ST tires all over the country on my trailer without issue. While others call them Chinese bombs. So yea!

I always expect in many cases we don't get all of the story-or I'm extremely lucky!

A perfect storm here. Only pays cash and then there’s a problem where receipts are required which weren’t kept. Who would have thought?
And then he signs up for an oil forum looking for answers/solutions that don't exist.

Third party warranties, be they for a car or home, always seem problematic. In the OP’s case, here’s a good example of the difference between factory and after@-market: Toyota says explicitly in the Owner’s Manual they will not deny a warranty claim because of lack of documentation but only because of evidence of neglect.

Third party warranties, be they for a car or home, always seem problematic. In the OP’s case, here’s a good example of the difference between factory and after@-market: Toyota says explicitly in the Owner’s Manual they will not deny a warranty claim because of lack of documentation but only because of evidence of neglect.
The OP bought the vehicle used-and has no idea of past maintenance history, not to mention records. I have 57,000 miles on my 3.3-bought new with all receipts of the oil changes.

I have mentioned this before-but my son had a Sonata with the Theta motor-Hyundai replaced it and put him in a rental for two weeks-and the car was out of warranty. He was the original owner as well.

The OP bought the vehicle used-and has no idea of past maintenance history, not to mention records. I have 57,000 miles on my 3.3-bought new with all receipts of the oil changes.

I have mentioned this before-but my son had a Sonata with the Theta motor-Hyundai replaced it and put him in a rental for two weeks-and the car was out of warranty.
I dunno, he said he purchased it at 1 year old. I'd argue even if it didn't get an oil change in that first year it shouldn't be having these problems. And it's more likely than not it got ONE oil change in that first year....but of course none of us can prove anything one way or another.

I see both sides here. I don't blame the warranty company for maybe wanting proof of something, but it can be a slippery slope for blanket denial of anything for the warranty company. Insurance makes money by collecting premiums and trying to avoid paying out.

And yeah, I won't go anywhere with ST's ;)

No we got an extended warranty. Federal law mandates you CAN do your own maintenance work. Keep good records… AND apparently receipts
Of course you can do your own maintenance.

Any extended warranty contract can deny coverage if maintenance records can't be produced for a used vehicle during the time period you didn't own the vehicle.

When I purchased my ex-rental 2019 Nissan pathfinder with 25K miles on it in Sept 2019, the Nissan dealer of course pushed their extended warranty sales pitch. The carfax for the pathfinder showed one oil change at about 12K miles and another done by the dealer before I bought it. Nissan's owner's manual states a 5000mi OCI for the vehicle. These new DI engines blacken the oil badly and there's many reports online of sludge and ruined engines due to lack of oil changes on them. When I asked them to give me in writing that they would cover engine issues w/ this warranty package, even with the lack of oil change receipts, they squirmed and wouldn't give me anything verbal or in writing and I went all the way up to the dealer GM. It got me out of the warranty sales pitch real quick.

For those that seem to care about human beings lol… been talking to the dealership some more and they are seeing more and more 3.3L engines coming in with this exact issue. If the warranty company fails, they will go back to Hyundai for me to argue my case for me. Hyundai is advising people to add a quart of oil per 1000 miles and they say that’s perfectly normal… the service technician said that’s not normal at all it’s them CYA and not standing up to their product. If Hyundai doesn’t budge, the dealership is offering me a significant discount. Not ideal, but at least this dealership is willing to call BS and serve customers. Also the engine technician is affirming the car has solid maintenance. Hopefully this all turns out well.

Yes I should have kept my receipts. I’m owning that. However, the people that have asked me questions on this oil forum DID help me because it’s those questions that opened up further conversations with my dealer that has gotten them to be way more supportive. So seriously thank you for your help. To those that are throwing shade… sorry you are in such a sour place, truly hope you get to experience some joy and love from those close to you today.

I dunno, he said he purchased it at 1 year old. I'd argue even if it didn't get an oil change in that first year it shouldn't be having these problems. And it's more likely than not it got ONE oil change in that first year....but of course none of us can prove anything one way or another.

I see both sides here. I don't blame the warranty company for maybe wanting proof of something, but it can be a slippery slope for blanket denial of anything for the warranty company. Insurance makes money by collecting premiums and trying to avoid paying out.

And yeah, I won't go anywhere with ST's ;)
Yup, warranty company is doing their job, I have no issue with them doing that. I definitely learned my lesson 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: JTK
Yup, warranty company is doing their job, I have no issue with them doing that. I definitely learned my lesson 🤦🏻‍♂️

These companies seem to be getting worse in this regard. Trying to save a buck like everyone else. I warn everyone I can to really do your homework before you buy an expensive extended warranty contract on a used purchase for this reason.

For those that seem to care about human beings lol… been talking to the dealership some more and they are seeing more and more 3.3L engines coming in with this exact issue. If the warranty company fails, they will go back to Hyundai for me to argue my case for me. Hyundai is advising people to add a quart of oil per 1000 miles and they say that’s perfectly normal… the service technician said that’s not normal at all it’s them CYA and not standing up to their product. If Hyundai doesn’t budge, the dealership is offering me a significant discount. Not ideal, but at least this dealership is willing to call BS and serve customers. Also the engine technician is affirming the car has solid maintenance. Hopefully this all turns out well.

Yes I should have kept my receipts. I’m owning that. However, the people that have asked me questions on this oil forum DID help me because it’s those questions that opened up further conversations with my dealer that has gotten them to be way more supportive. So seriously thank you for your help. To those that are throwing shade… sorry you are in such a sour place, truly hope you get to experience some joy and love from those close to you today.

Let's all join hands and sing Kumbuya........

Glad the dealership is working with you.

Back