Warranty issues from lost oil receipts

Right out of the gate you are screwed if the vehicle is purchased used, unless you will have receipts to support oil changes were done per the manufacturer's timeframe by the previous owner(s).

Is this the 4 cylinder? Most of them for 2011-2019 have a lifetime engine warranty. Is this a Hyundai dealer?

I'd call another dealer, provide the vin, and see what warranty it has (not aftermarket or extended). Hyundai replaces engines left and right on these cars (if 4 cylinder) and they're not getting receipts for oil changes.

Should be a free engine regardless if it's a 2.4. At least I believe the 2017 was still included in that campaign.

To clarify - is the vehicle 1 year old?
Or have you only had it 1 year? And if you've only had it 1 year, how old is it? And how many miles?
Sorry the vehicle is a 2017. We bought it when it was one year old. So we’ve owned it for 5 years

Right out of the gate you are screwed if the vehicle is purchased used, unless you will have receipts to support oil changes were done per the manufacturer's timeframe by the previous owner(s).
No we got an extended warranty. Federal law mandates you CAN do your own maintenance work. Keep good records… AND apparently receipts

Is this the 4 cylinder? Most of them for 2011-2019 have a lifetime engine warranty. Is this a Hyundai dealer?

I'd call another dealer, provide the vin, and see what warranty it has (not aftermarket or extended). Hyundai replaces engines left and right on these cars (if 4 cylinder) and they're not getting receipts for oil changes.
It’sa v6

Well, it does look like the V6 has very similar issues that the 4 cylinder has but there is not yet a recall/class action lawsuit on it. 🤬

If you have a log book that’s not fictional (pretty easy to tell) I’d start knawing up the food chain unless the contract specifically says it requires receipts.

If you buy at one of the parts stores they might be able to find history with your phone number…

Obviously that probably won’t work at Wally World…

If you have a log book that’s not fictional (pretty easy to tell) I’d start knawing up the food chain unless the contract specifically says it requires receipts.

If you buy at one of the parts stores they might be able to find history with your phone number…

Obviously that probably won’t work at Wally World…
They could do it with the transaction number if he used a credit card-but of course he didn't.

It's a long shot but if OP bought oil and filters at O'Reilly or Auto Zone or Advance, and if OP has the rewards card at any of those stores and if OP showed his card each time he bought oil and filters, then the store manager just might be able to pull up his purchase history and print that out for OP to show the dealership he really did buy oil and filters and change the oil. OP will need his record of the dates and mileage of each oil change, and it would help back up his case if he has proof of all other maintenance done as well. That scenario is a very long shot though.

OP could also ask the dealer to pull off the valve cover, or possibly also pull the oil pan if they have not done so already. A good dealership will agree to that and will check for sludge or other evidence of lack of maintenance/oil changes. OP would have to agree to pay the labor time for removing the pan and cover if the warranty claim winds up denied. A good tech or service manager can tell if an engine has not been taken care of. If the valvetrain looks good, they could possibly use that as verification the oil has been changed regularly and then a good dealership will use that inspection as proof enough OP or someone else has been changing the oil on schedule. The key to all that is, whether the dealer is willing to check the valvetrain and go to bat for OP with the warranty administrator.

This also depends heavily on how the extended warranty is written. If it specifically states OP has to provide all sales receipts and records of all maintenance, whether it was DIY or not, OP and the dealer may not get much help from the warranty admins. I really hope the dealer and warranty admins are able to do the right thing and help OP with this problem.

Have 57,000 thousand on my 3.3 without issues. On the Hyundai boards there have not been widespread failures of the 3.3.
Good luck buck-o. I just posted what happened on my personal Facebook. One friend sent me a picture of his Hyundai Santa Fe SE on the side of the road with the EXACT same issue I just had. He’s waiting on a tow. Then at least three others have commented about their Hyundai nightmare stories. You can either learn from others pain or learn from your own. I won’t be owning another Hyundai ever again. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Wish someone would have done the same for me

Back