Warming your car up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't get real cold here and I always run synthetics, but in every fuel injected vehicle I've owned this has always worked well for me: Start the car, put phone in mount, put on seatbelt, wait for Bluetooth to pair, pick music, put on sunscreen/sunglasses if applicable, etc. so after that just get going. The oil and stuff will have circulated just fine in those 15-30 seconds and just drive somewhat gently until temperature gauge is at normal position.

I got rid of my two carbureted vehicles (83 chevy truck and 77 gmc suburban) because cold starts were iffy. I'm sure if I had properly adjusted carburetors it wouldn't have been such an issue but around here nobody knows what do if they don't have an obd port to plug into!

I wonder how much fuel we would save if vehicles came equipped with an electric heater/defroster that ran for 10-15 minutes? I drive a couple of miles to work. If my windshield is clear, the vehicle never gets warmed up. I plan on mixing isapropyl alcohol and water for a quick defrost agent. An electric heater could get the vehicle warmed up and the windshield defrosted so the vehicle could be driven gently until fluids are flowing.

Originally Posted By: otis24
I wonder how much fuel we would save if vehicles came equipped with an electric heater/defroster that ran for 10-15 minutes? I drive a couple of miles to work. If my windshield is clear, the vehicle never gets warmed up. I plan on mixing isapropyl alcohol and water for a quick defrost agent. An electric heater could get the vehicle warmed up and the windshield defrosted so the vehicle could be driven gently until fluids are flowing.

Many cars come with an electric heater booster, MB, Audi etc.

Even my old diesel smart car had one, but that engine used so little fuel, it needed the booster to have ANY heat in the winter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
How does a engine get damaged by idling and warming up?

In either case I warm mine up for 30-60 seconds. Heated seats and steering wheel keep me warm until the heater kicks in. In heavy snow or ice it might be longer if I have to scrape glass or remove snow. Drive gently until the blue light if off.

This new direct injected engines are prone to forming carbon deposits. I know the 2l in my Mazda3 is.
Idling produces most of the deposits, supposedly.

My normal routine is I start my truck just prior to me getting dressed. (remote start) Boots, coat, mitts, hat etc. When I go out, if the vehicle doesn't need to be brushed off or need it's windows scraped, I'll put the key in the ignition to "run" then put the transmission in neutral to get the pump flowing.
Depending on how cold it is and if I need my windows defrosted on the inside, I doubt I am anymore than 5 minutes total give or take?
Safety first, imo. If I can't see then I don't move until at least a decent size spot has opened up so I can see to drive.

If I let it warm up it is more for me than the car. It was -1 here this morning. I started it a min or two before I had to leave because I wanted a little bit of heat before I got to work. I have a short commute so normally the inside will just be getting warm before I arrive at work.

I like to have my car be kind of warm.

Was 7 out this morning. Wanted to drive my Jeep to work. But I had to let it warm up so it could charge the battery. Alternator was drawing so much that as soon as I'd turn on the HVAC or the headlights or turn the wheel, the belt would start slipping.

When I go to work in the morning, I remote start before putting on my boots an coat. So the car will idle 2-3 minutes, if that. However, if we go out as a family somewhere and the car is stone cold, I will remote start it for 10 or more minutes before leaving. Kiddies are always dressed appropriately for the weather, so the car doesn't need to be toasty, but I don't want it frigid cold either.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that my family's and my comfort are way more important than protecting a thing that is supposed to serve me.

When cold, I let the engine warm up to operating water temperature (195F-ish). However, if necessary, I will drive off after about one minute; it's just that I try to plan so that isn't necessary.

Mistakes I see people make in cold weather is:

Fail to clear snow from vehicle (required by law here, entire vehicle or ticket if they see you driving) but most importantly, clear snow from the vent area at the hood/windshield air vent intake. Your defroster or heater cannot work properly if this is blocked.

Turning the heater/defroster on high upon startup. Your car will warm up faster if the heater is not removing heat from the engine (how the heater/defroster circuit works). Set the heater/defroster on the low setting so it is blowing some air but is allowing the engine to reach operating temperature quickly.

Then when you enter the vehicle, there will be adequate heating available to the heater core. The interior will warm up quickly (you can now set the defroster/heater to high and the engine will maintain operating temperature) and the total warm-up time both at the engine and interior will be less.

I don't use a block heater, store my vehicles outdoors, and sometimes need to start at -40 temperatures. With Mobil1 0W-40 there is never an issue with starting. However I found when in the US ... even cold northern states like Minnesota ... is that the winter-grade lubricants were generally not available in stores or at the dealer like we would find back home. Things like differential oils/greases and if a manual transmission the trans lube were only available in what we in Canada would consider to be summer weights (Factory Fill in all CDM vehicles is a winter capable viscosity).

So maybe choose a route whereby you are not going directly to a limited access freeway/highway right at the start of your journey to give the non-engine lubricants a chance to warm (via friction at, say 30 MPH) for five minutes or so.

My car is always outside. When it gets cold there is always a lot of ice. While I scrape the ice I have to let it warm up at least 2-5 minutes. Otherwise I can't see out the windows. Sometimes ice builds up inside.

If 20 deg F or warmer just start it and leave in within 10 seconds.

Today was -4
I opened unheated garage door, started car and let it idle while I pour my coffee into thermos and put lunch in bag, 3-4 mins total, temp gauge had just barely started to move.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
If 20 deg F or warmer just start it and leave in within 10 seconds.

Today was -4
I opened unheated garage door, started car and let it idle while I pour my coffee into thermos and put lunch in bag, 3-4 mins total, temp gauge had just barely started to move.

Detached garage I hope?

Every day I warm my car up until it idles down. Seems like a good idea to get the engine oil flowing before applying a load. In cold weather it's pretty much a no brainer since the car drives much better (no hesitation or stalls) and the windows will be defrosted.

When my remote start worked reliably, I would start the 99 in the garage when it was cold. Now I sometimes do it. By the time I am out of my plat it is registering on the gauge. After classes I have a 10 minute walk. I prefer to enter a warm car during the winter, so I remote start it asap. All of the cars we have use synthetics and I do see improved start up around 0F. The 99 Camry and Prizm have slight knocks when cold so we tend to warm them a bit more than the 14.5.

in my last car, the 2015 RX 350. id start it and let it run a few seconds and go. now with the nx being a turbo charged car. i let it run a minute or so depending how cold out it is. its a dog when first driving it when its really cold out.

I hit the remote start on either the Ranger or the Accord and let it run for about 5-10 minutes until the car is warm.
I'll gladly pay for the extra fuel when it is single digits with below zero wind chill.
My vehicles are appliances designed to serve me, period.

Most mornings, 10-20 secs at most. Just watch the tach, let it drop from the high idle and off I go.

This week with the artic blast: Start, scrap off ice, then off I go. 2-3 mins max? I do take the long way to work and home now tho to make sure the engine and oil get up to operating temp. The 4.0 in the 4Runner likes to make yellow pudding in the filler neck and oil cap with short drives in the cold.

Most cities now have ordinances against leaving cars running with a key in the ignition to curb stolen cars.

Originally Posted By: Run
My car is always outside. When it gets cold there is always a lot of ice. While I scrape the ice I have to let it warm up at least 2-5 minutes. Otherwise I can't see out the windows. Sometimes ice builds up inside.

Ice buildup inside is because moisture in cold air is being heated and delivered to ambient temperature glass. That sometimes will be because there is ice or snow on the intake vents at the hood/window base. Cleaning that well will help.

Try running the heater only (not defrost) on a low setting, or leave the defroster off entirely until you enter the car and it's warmed up to operating.

I let my car warm up for about 5 minutes while I'm inside getting my coffee ready. This way I get into a semi-warm car with clear windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back