Warming your car up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-10F this morning truck sits outside fire it up back in the house enjoy pot of coffee 10 15 minutes come other to a fairly warm truck.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Ever since my VW manual stated never to idle a cold engine, I do not warm up cars. Just get in and go. Take it easy until it builds some heat.

I have actually started the mr2 and let it idle in the summer for a couple mins to get the ac going before I got in on a couple 100+ degree Denver days after work when the car had been baking all day.

Odd statement in my book, never idle a cold engine??

Does it state whether you can idle a warm engine??

An engine under even a small load will heat up more quickly because the burning gasses stay inside the engine a bit longer. No WOT until it's warmed up though.

Another MN member here! Chilly this morning!

My garage was at 21 degrees this morning, -6 outside according to the car. I fired her up and took off, not particularly easy either. I'd rather sleep 10 more minutes than warm up my car.

That being said, if I'm out and about when it's this cold I never shut it off. Once it's running, it's running until I get home.

Pager tones at 0600 this morning. Got in the truck and responded. This is why I sometimes switch to 0w20 if I do a late season oil change. M1 5w20 now; she was a little slow w cranking but that could be battery.

I always let mine run until it comes off the high idle, but when it's below freezing or so I'll extend that incrimentally. Waiting for my Cruze to get anything close to warm, sitting still, is a lost cause but I'll let it run for 20-40 more seconds before putting the engine under load just to give the internals and the oil a little time to limber up.

Personally, I like breathe, and that always ices up the inside of the windshield until there is hot air blowing on it. I moved to the south to avoid the conundrum of idling a cold engine vs. seeing out the windshield. If I was smart, I would have just driven back and forth in the driveway until the windshield cleared.

-10 celsius Id let run 3-4 mins, -20 celsius 5-6 before driving. I like the oil to warm up just a bit before driving off slowly. I have a block heater now however, so it saves me idling time, but I also have a 1 year old, so I like it to be warmer for my lil guy so nowadays i idle a bit longer so when I put him in the car he isnt freezing.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I crank, let idle for 15-30 seconds, and drive. Unless the windshield is iced up. Engine warms up in a couple miles and then I turn on the heat

I start it and turn on the heat. When it starts blowing warm air its on the road.

Originally Posted By: Bambam
Ever since my VW manual stated never to idle a cold engine, I do not warm up cars. Just get in and go. Take it easy until it builds some heat.

I have actually started the mr2 and let it idle in the summer for a couple mins to get the ac going before I got in on a couple 100+ degree Denver days after work when the car had been baking all day.

My car manual says not to idle to warm it up but rather drive it.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
An engine under even a small load will heat up more quickly because the burning gasses stay inside the engine a bit longer. No WOT until it's warmed up though.

Huh?

How fast a vehicle warms up is related to how much HP the engine is making. A percentage of the HP being made is converted to heat, that waste heat is what warms up the engine, which is carried away by the cooling system. More HP, more heat. At idle, very little HP is made, so little heat. While driving, the engine warms up much faster because it is making more HP. Just don't do it too fast.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: Bambam

My car manual says not to idle to warm it up but rather drive it.

Most owners manuals say this. It is not the 60's anymore with carb'd engines.

However long it takes to melt the ice on the windshield.

Start engine, turn defrost on (the compressor runs, loading the engine a little)

Fan speed low

As soon as enough ice is melted to see through, the engine is plenty warm enough to drive.

I am just thankful I don't have to worry about such things.

When we bought our home, a two car garage was one of the priorities for this reason. The wife and I can comfortably park in the garage and not have to worry about getting into a cold car in the winter. It was -5*F this morning, 35*F in the garage.

If however we have to park outside for some reason (friends house, parents house, etc.), I will let it warm up for a few minutes so that the seat warmers and heater can get the cabin a bit warm, I'd say it idles for 10 minutes max. If we're at a restaurant for instance, I'm not going to walk out to start the cars and go back into the restaurant, we simply start it up and go making sure to keep it easy until we get up to OT.

How does a engine get damaged by idling and warming up?

In either case I warm mine up for 30-60 seconds. Heated seats and steering wheel keep me warm until the heater kicks in. In heavy snow or ice it might be longer if I have to scrape glass or remove snow. Drive gently until the blue light if off.

Btw; leaving your car idling in some locales is just inviting car thrives. Our area sees 30-50 cars stolen daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back