Warm starts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know cold starts are pretty tough on a cars engine, but what about warm starts? I imagine that a warm start would still cause extra wear, just not as much as a cold one. I ask because while delivering pizzas, I have lots of warm starts.
thumbsdown.gif
Does anyone know what kind of effects a warm start would have on an engine that had been off for 5 minutes? 30 minutes? An hour?

BTW, I'm running Pennzoil Longlife 15W-40 for 1400 more miles to finish my Auto-RX rinse cycle, then switching to Mobil 1 T&S 5W-40. I'm hoping that the Pennzoil's moly and the Mobil 1's esters would help minimize startup wear. Any thoughts on this?

[ April 08, 2004, 04:40 AM: Message edited by: Palut ]

On a warm start, the parts all still have a film of oil, the oil passages are full, and the oil is thin enough to start flowing right away. Still, I am sure there is some extra wear, but I don't think it is a big problem on engine wear.

Your battery and starter motor may be another matter. If you expect to be doing this very long with the same car, you may want to cough up for a lifetime warranty battery. I never make a battery last more than about 3 years. I think it is our short trip, errand running driving pattern.

Note, I noticed the starter on my Cavalier Ecotec. I have seen bigger ones on a lawnmower. Is it made out of super materials, fantastic design, or can I plan seeing a lot more of it?

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
Note, I noticed the starter on my Cavalier Ecotec. I have seen bigger ones on a lawnmower. Is it made out of super materials, fantastic design, or can I plan seeing a lot more of it?

You know, my 3800 V6 has the same thing. A tiny starter for the size of the engine. It seems to turn the car over just fine though. Has anyone had any premature failures?

The small starter work great! I upgraded mine to one, and the car starts quicker and nicer. I haven't heard of any problems with them, I'm sure they last as long as a normal starter.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
The small starter work great! I upgraded mine to one, and the car starts quicker and nicer. I haven't heard of any problems with them, I'm sure they last as long as a normal starter.

-T

Do you have any idea what they improved to be able to make them so small?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back