Ward's 10 Best Engines for 2007 at a glance

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 Best Engines...

Ward's 10 Best Engines for 2007 at a glance (vehicle tested in parenthesis):

Audi AG 2L turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Audi A3)
BMW AG 3L DOHC I-6 (Z4 3.0si)
BMW AG 3L turbocharged DOHC I-6 (335i)
DaimlerChrysler AG 3L DOHC V-6 turbodiesel (Mercedes-Benz E320 Bluetec/Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD)
DaimlerChrysler AG Hemi 5.7L OHV V-8 (Chrysler 300C)
Ford Motor Co. Duratec 35 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX)
Ford Motor Co. 4.6L SOHC V-8 (Mustang GT/Mustang Shelby GT)
Mazda Motor Corp. 2.3L DISI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Mazdaspeed3)
Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Infiniti G35)
Toyota Motor Corp. 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350)

Surprised any American engines made the list...

That 3.5L Ford is going to be one heck of an engine. They designed it with super and turbocharging in mind. It comes in around 260hp+ stock, i think. They say that when paired with a 6spd ATX, it gets over 32mpg.

Looks more oriented toward high-performance, higher-end markets...not the everyday mills for the average Joe. Give me a good 'ol Honda engine...I'm happy.

Quote:

I wouldn't own any of those engines. Where will I get a TPS for a Saab here on a Sunday afternoon?

It will be a long time before GM can afford to put an engine that makes the 10 best list in a Saab. Saab has not made any money for GM. The cars have absolutely terrible resale and are among the worst for reliability. Maybe they will get the cars right sometime in the future; they are nice from a European design standpoint.

Having driven the 5.7 Hemi and 4.6 SOHC engines, I don't see what is so special about them? I know the Hemi had cylinder deactivation but other than that aren't they pretty basic V8's? I would think BMW's 4.8 V8 with Valvetronic, Double Vanos, etc. would be a notch above.

I do agree with the VW/Audi 2.0T and BMW's new N/A I6's, fantastic engines.

Quote:

10 Best Engines...

The 3.5 is going to be awsome. I just hope and pray that they decide to put it into the AWD Fusion and Milan. 260hp naturally aspirated..

My only issue with this list is this:

Your telling me that these morons that made the list couldn't get the correct engine in the correct car (the shelby gt500 comes only with a 5.4 mod engine, not a 4.6) and they are qualified to pick the best engines?
ufo.gif

Why will the 3.5 V6 be so amazing? Nissan's VQ is putting out 300hp these days, granted it's still known to be a bit coarse when driven near redline. Also, BMW's current 3.0 I6 is capable of the same power and much lighter with it's magnesium/aluminum block. Of course BMW has had some I6's in the past 20 years that have had at least 260+ hp.

Why will the 3.5 V6 be so amazing? Nissan's VQ is putting out 300hp these days, granted it's still known to be a bit coarse when driven near redline. Also, BMW's current 3.0 I6 is capable of the same power and much lighter with it's magnesium/aluminum block. Of course BMW has had some I6's in the past 20 years that have had at least 260+ hp.

Granted I guess any new engine out of the Big 3 that is DOHC and takes advantage of technology such as variable valve timing which is nearly 20 years old is quite a feat.

Quote:

Quote:

10 Best Engines...

My only issue with this list is this:

Your telling me that these morons that made the list couldn't get the correct engine in the correct car (the shelby gt500 comes only with a 5.4 mod engine, not a 4.6) and they are qualified to pick the best engines?
ufo.gif

they are referring to the new Shelby GT, not the GT-500. the Shelby GT is a production version of the Shelby Hertz edition that the public can actually buy new.

Any list that leaves out the Toyota 2UZ-FE, 4.7L V8 is not much of a list. These clowns are the ones that listed a Dodge pickup as the best off-road vehicle of the year. Makes one wonder how much they charge manufacturers to be on any one given list.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why will the 3.5 V6 be so amazing?

If they hit their power and economy targets, it will be a major accomplishment for Ford.

So it's more of an accomplishment for the manufacturer but not so much in mechanical engineering...
frown.gif

Not for the field of mechanical engineering, but it would be for Ford's engineers. I have no idea what their natural ability is, but you learn engineering by doing and it doesn't look like there has been a lot of high tech engine doing at Ford lately.

So the Ford 4.6L SOHC V-8 makes the list. Too bad. If I get another F150 I want an older one with the pushrod engine. I don't trust those long snaky timing chains. A friends Crown Vic threw the chain and the engine is toast beause it is an interference engine. True, he got 180,000 miles out of it, but it ran great otherwise. The pushrod Ford V8s had more low end grunt too.

Quote:

Quote:

If they hit their power and economy targets, it will be a major accomplishment for Ford.

You'll also see some sports cars come out with 400+hp pretty easily and hopefully reasonably priced.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So it's more of an accomplishment for the manufacturer but not so much in mechanical engineering...
frown.gif

Not for the field of mechanical engineering, but it would be for Ford's engineers. I have no idea what their natural ability is, but you learn engineering by doing and it doesn't look like there has been a lot of high tech engine doing at Ford lately.

How many V6's have been designed specifically for getting turbocharged in north american market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back