War Lubes / 18th - 20th Centuries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 416Rigby
I know the Brits used Rangoon oil back in the 1800's. You can still get it, and it does a decent job as a CLP.

Interesting mention... a quick search yielded this result: Rangoon Oil and the skinny is that this source indicates more applicability in deterring rust than cleaning.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: y2k345
Originally Posted By: Durango
Originally Posted By: Maritime Storm
Actually ATF, as was mentioned earlier, has better anti-oxidizing properties than sperm whale oil and is actually recommended by number of manufacturers.

Maritime Storm,

ATF!!!! I've never heard of that being used??? Very interesting but don't you think it's too light a lube???

Durango

I`ve actually made my own CLP/ATF #4 mixture.
first let CLP set for a month or so to let the Teflon settle to the bottom. Them pour off the oil from the top leaving just the Teflon behind, them add ATF #4 on top off Teflon and you have a VERY good weapons lube.

Why is ATF better than CLP? Do you know more than the people that make CLP?

I like the Teflon in CLP but its carrier/oil part is nothing special. ATF is recomended by some manufactures and has been discussed on other weapons realted websites as a top knotch weapons lube. I`ve also heard of troops in Irag and Afganistan making a ATF/CLP like mine as it works better than strait CLP.

Quote:
I like the Teflon in CLP but its carrier/oil part is nothing special.

It's only grp IV and V vs. the GrpII/III of most ATF's.
smirk2.gif
Teflon in oil doesn't do much either.

ATF is quite light in AW compared to even motor oil. You certainly don't need the FM contained in ATF on guns either.

The VAST majority of what I see about lubricants on any board is just wrong. Thank goodness for bitog.

Persoanl experience, AR 15, AK 47, CZ58, 1911A1, Mauser, Enfield, and Winchester manually operated designs. Teflon with ATF seems to have more slip than just plain CLP and parts are noticebly easier to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back