Wanted a crotch rocket and ended up with this...

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
... a 1977 Kawasaki KZ650

Pretty much all original as far as I can tell, 7600 miles and best of all no cafe racer mods. Once the sissy bar is off it will look just the way I like it.

KZ650-1.jpg
KZ650-2.jpg

nice bike!! love classic looks + modern braking + suspension of a Z900 if i were younger + taller or at least longer legs + the special RS not slated for USA is even better. i loved my 70 T120R bought new in the military BUT its brutal vibrations were replaced by modern smooth bonnies + more to my liking! gotta love the light weight + simplicity of older bikes + vehicles!!

Worst thing about a bike made in '79 is going to be parts availability. Bike manufacturers often discontinue some parts just a few years after the bike is made and there's not near as much aftermarket support with bikes as there is with cars.

Removed the sissy bar and it looks much better IMO.
Next on the list are practical items, a new clutch cable and front brake line are needed and I will need to rebuild the brake caliper as it is slightly wet and the pad is wet as well, which would explain very vague brakes despite a nice and firm brake lever. After that new fork seals are in order.

B494EC99-71B1-42A4-8F0B-3DE8E8088EFA.jpeg

Worst thing about a bike made in '79 is going to be parts availability.
I've got a 1979 CB750 and there are surprisingly a lot of parts available for old bikes. As long as you have all the side covers....those can be hard to find.

... a 1977 Kawasaki KZ650

Pretty much all original as far as I can tell, 7600 miles and best of all no cafe racer mods. Once the sissy bar is off it will look just the way I like it.

View attachment 71218
Ok just remember when you are getting off NOT to throw your leg over the seat as you would most all other motorcycles. You might end up very embarrassed picking yourself off the bike and then picking up your new bike .
:LOL:

I've got a 1979 CB750 and there are surprisingly a lot of parts available for old bikes. As long as you have all the side covers....those can be hard to find.
I ran into problems finding some of the parts I needed for an '82 Yamaha XJ1100J when I was trying to restore it to riding condition sometime back around 2007-2008. Some of the parts I never did find and had to take them apart and spend hours cleaning rather than replacing.

Back