Want E0 gas but not for $25/gal? Get yourself some AvGas

I have quite a few gas stations in my vicinity that sells recreational ethanol free 90 octane fuel. The last time I filled my gas can, it was $3.89/gal. Adding a 1/2 ounce of Sta-Bil 360 Marine formula along with Amsoil Saber Kees my mowers, weed eater, and chainsaw running great.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by wag123
There isn't anything wrong with running AvGas in outdoor power equipment. Purchase and use it with confidence.
Astro14 is mistaken. Fact... 100LL Avgas does NOT contain more tetraethyllead (TEL) than pre-1975 leaded automotive gas (mogas) had, it has 1/2 the amount of TEL that premium leaded mogas had and 2/3 less TEL than regular leaded mogas had, so it is truly Low Lead, relatively speaking. The FAA will not allow the use of more TEL than this due to the increased incidence of lower spark plug lead fouling when more TEL is used.
The TEL will NOT harm small engines, all a user will notice is that the spark plug will have to be replaced more often. Keep in mind that ALL outdoor power equipment engines ran exclusively on leaded gas prior to 1975. As far as safety is concerned, a person would have to breath the small engine exhaust running the equipment in close proximity for 10,000 hours to get any kind of measurable lead poisoning from using AvGas, the carbon monoxide they breathed during the time frame would be much more harmful. The big plus is that AvGas doesn't go bad. There is a MUCH bigger risk to the health and welfare of the average individual, and the environment, having to deal with the old pump gas in their equipment and gas can.
I used to purchase and use AvGas in ALL of the machines that I serviced beginning in the fall and continuing through early spring every year. I never had a comeback when I did this, except when a customer who though they knew better than me ran through the tank-full that I put in it and refilled with the old fuel that they had sitting at home (even though I specifically told them NOT to use their old fuel). I insisted that all of my Fire Department customers purchase and use AvGas in all of the small engine machines that they used (like jaws-of-life machines, chainsaws, and cut-off saws).

LOL, thank you! only on BITOG people will get so hyped up about another person using a certain kind of gas! This has devolved into "my friend billybob's cousin's neighbor used avgas and his motor blew and he also said 100 Low Lead is not low lead but 4x higher lead!"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tomcat27
how can we get legislation reversed that forces the use of E?
and it's surprising how much the lead contaminates the oil. pull the dipstick on any piston powered aircraft.....

It would be harder than Congress passing a $2 trillion bill.
shocked2.gif

Most marinas have ethanol free gas...

Here in Virginia Southern States and Phillips Energy both sell ethanol free gas...

And if your lucky, and you have a fuel storage tank, you can call a distributor and get E0 delivered, usually 250 gallon minimum around here...

I get 85 octane E0, listed as " non motor fuel", but it runs great in OPE...
(Summer camp for kids I volunteer at)

Originally Posted by Astro14
To be clear, 100LL is LEADED.

And it has a LOT more LEAD than leaded auto gasoline used to have.

The "low lead" is compared with 115/145 octane for wartime supercharged aircraft engines.

But it is not low lead at all, when compared with automotive gasoline. It runs about four times the concentration of the leaded you could get at the pump.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avgas#Grades

And lead is a neurotoxin.

There are better ways to get ethanol free fuel...

Well stated sir
smile.gif

Thanks for the link/info also

You guys must all store your equipment outside in the rain with the gas caps off and use them once a year if you have enough of a problem with ethanol fuels to go seek out and pay for aviation fuel.
lol.gif

I've never had a problem, and all grades of fuel in my state have up to 10% ethanol.

-Use a double dose of Marine Sta-bil 360
-Mark on a piece of tape when you fill the gas can, if it is older than three months, run it through the car instead
-Run equipment dry of fuel if it is being stored for more than 3 months

I've never had an issue with my equipment, and some of them get used once or twice a year, and I live in a fairly moist climate. I clean several carburetors a year for customers, but most of them have been stored with untreated fuel for a year or more. I don't see the point of buying AVGas.

We always have someone post in these E0 threads stating they never had a problem with ethanol in their fuel. Good for you. Other such as myself did have problems in the past. Admittedly mine was from forgetfulness. So I deal with it by trying not to forget and ensure I have no problems by using E0.

Also, I have a seasonal riding mower, and I'm not sure how to completely drain the fuel system each year.

I am one of those that never has a problem with ethanol. I suspect it has more to do with the refinery that the gas came from than the ethanol. I have no formal proof but lots of circumstantial evidence. All of the opes I have at work has used most likely non ethanol gas from one refinery and possibly without addatives. I have gotten a couple of things from another terminal that is supplied from a different refinery and used gas with no ethanol or addatives. The ones from the first situation havent had any issues with carbs but didnt like stale gas. The second ones have had gunked up carbs that require cleaning to work properly again.

Either it is the gas itself or honda carbs are junk. I have had to fix other brands of carbs but they never get as bad as honda ones seem to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kestas
Also, I have a seasonal riding mower, and I'm not sure how to completely drain the fuel system each year.

For riding mowers without an easy way to drain the gas, the best way is to keep the fuel at a lower level the last use and run it out of fuel. Only put in enough gas to get you through what you need to do on the last use, and install a fuel shut off in the fuel line. turn the fuel shut off to the off position, and let the machine run out of gas and empty the carburetor of fuel. I have an old 1940's Gravely walk behind tractor that I run out of fuel via the fuel shut off each time I'm done using it because I'm never certain of when I'm going to use it again. If the fuel level is fairly low, and you run the engine out of fuel by turning off the fuel shut off, you will be perfectly fine if you add some fresh fuel to the tank when you need the machine next. Whatever tiny amount of fuel is left in the carb will evaporate and the carb will be left dry where the ethanol can't damage it.

Originally Posted by jhellwig
I am one of those that never has a problem with ethanol. I suspect it has more to do with the refinery that the gas came from than the ethanol. I have no formal proof but lots of circumstantial evidence. All of the opes I have at work has used most likely non ethanol gas from one refinery and possibly without addatives. I have gotten a couple of things from another terminal that is supplied from a different refinery and used gas with no ethanol or addatives. The ones from the first situation havent had any issues with carbs but didnt like stale gas. The second ones have had gunked up carbs that require cleaning to work properly again.

Either it is the gas itself or honda carbs are junk. I have had to fix other brands of carbs but they never get as bad as honda ones seem to.

Some stations have really crappy fuel. The one down the street from me is awful. I filled a 5 gallon tank once and bits of rust and gunk poured out of the can (which is plastic) when I went to fill something. I avoid that station and have never had the issue again. Funny thing is a few months later I drove by and they were excavating the parking lot and replacing the underground holding tanks.
33.gif

Back