Wander-around junkyard vs. inventoried junkyard

Pick-n-Pull is the only one I go to. I want to pull my own parts.
X2. In the first place, I want to be sure that I get all of the parts including the attaching hardware. Second, I've seen too many of the lazy employees at JYs YANK parts out of cars and break all of the clips, tabs and other fasteners.

I'll hit you pull it yard first and if that fails to produce then the regular salvage yard, i kind of enjoy walking around all those cars

I'm really peeved on how many nice perfectly good running vehicles pull-n-pay dispose of. Lkq had a w12 VW phaeton and said they "couldn't sell me the vehicle ". The W12 can fetch a pretty penny. The Denver pull-n-pay junked a perfectly straight Audi S8 with the V10. I was trying to borrow a truck and find someone to help me pull the engine. At least half of the stuff they get should be required by law to be repaired and put back on the street.
I agree but it's the polar opposite of the C4C mentality which will only get worse as the gubermint puts its hand on the scale of the EV market

The distinction I'm trying to make is NOT between self serve junkyards and ones where they pull parts for you.

I'm talking about self-serve junkyards that have an up to date online inventory vs. those that say, "I think we have some, imports are over by the swamp".

Perhaps the junk yard does not have titles for the cars they refuse to sell.
How would they substantiate right of possession and the ability to sell and profit from sales of parts without proof of ownership? The titled owner would be within their rights to demand their property or sue for it and any lost parts.

i love the wander around junkyards, but lkq can get you rare car parts and you can find what you want faster.

I have 2 pick-a-part junk yards within 50 miles of my house. Used to go to them all the time. Ended up getting some good stuff for cheap when I used to drive beater trucks.

I vividly remember getting a transfer case from a Bronco for my 88 F250. The guy lifted it up with the rubber tire loader and we put random tires and wheels under it to support it.

We made sure to shake it real good before getting under it LOL

I prefer the free, wander-around junkyards. When I was a kid, the old places would let my dad take me to help. My favorite was a junkyard along highway 45 near the Racine/Milwaukee County line. It was run by a chain-smoking elderly man, complete with posters of scantily-clad women. His mind was still sharp, as he could tell you what he had and where it was. Grouping cars by make would have been nice, though. No charge to enter. I remember getting front bucket seats, a rear hatch, hood, four doors, and a bumper for my rusty 1988 Plymouth Horizon (in 2003) for $130. A year later my dad bought a complete, running 305 for his winter beater ‘85 Caprice for $225. Now, even the local self-serve yards charge admission and you can’t bring your kid to help… I know… liability.
Yards charge admission? That's messed up and I'd walk away immediately.

I grew up where you could just walk into a yard and look around for anything you needed and the operator would have a good idea where to look and what they had. It was surprising to me when they started doing the inventory and no walkthroughs.

Only one around here is the organized LKQ so I haven't been to the other kind.

However if your looking for something common your just as well to order online. LKQ online stuff has inventory listed by crossover year and vehicle mileage, so for usually not a lot more you can have a low mileage part shipped to your door for not a ton more money than pulling it youself, assuming its something common like a starter or whatever.

Now if you want some obscure trim piece or something then you need to pull it yourself, I can't fathom wondering around all day looking for a particular car. I have enough trouble finding them when I have a map.

Yards charge admission? That's messed up and I'd walk away immediately.

I grew up where you could just walk into a yard and look around for anything you needed and the operator would have a good idea where to look and what they had. It was surprising to me when they started doing the inventory and no walkthroughs.
Its 3 bucks here. Its in the wrong end of town and it keeps the riff raff out. I have no issue paying 3 bucks. Likely also helps pay to feed the cats :)

Its 3 bucks here. Its in the wrong end of town and it keeps the riff raff out. I have no issue paying 3 bucks. Likely also helps pay to feed the cats :)
I've spent a lot time scouring junk yards but I never meet any riff raff in any of them. My impression is that riff raff don't like to work or to get their hands dirty so a junk yard is no place for them.

Cats? What cats?? All of the junk yards that I've even been in were well patrolled by Junk Yard Dogs! Nothing living has a chance in those yards once they turn the dogs loose! Seriously, I've never seen any kind of animal inside of a yard that had Junk Yard Dogs!

I think the JYs charge money to get in just because they can. Imagine if all of the gas stations started charging everyone $3 to come onto their property. People would have no choice but to pay it if they wanted to buy gas and I'm sure that the stations could justify it. After all if does costs them money to provide the free water, free air, paper towels, etc.

Junkyards also are charging environmental fees. I have no idea what the purpose of the fee is, besides more money for the junkyard.

If I purchase a part, and return my old one for a core, what is the net environmental impact??

The new "scam" is to sell you a warranty for an additional 20% or so. More free money for the junkyard...!

I don't think there are pit bulls and rottweilers in self-serve junkyards, but who knows.

I've spent a lot time scouring junk yards but I never meet any riff raff in any of them. My impression is that riff raff don't like to work or to get their hands dirty so a junk yard is no place for them.

Cats? What cats?? All of the junk yards that I've even been in were well patrolled by Junk Yard Dogs! Nothing living has a chance in those yards once they turn the dogs loose! Seriously, I've never seen any kind of animal inside of a yard that had Junk Yard Dogs!

I think the JYs charge money to get in just because they can. Imagine if all of the gas stations started charging everyone $3 to come onto their property. People would have no choice but to pay it if they wanted to buy gas and I'm sure that the stations could justify it. After all if does costs them money to provide the free water, free air, paper towels, etc.
There are lots of cats. A lady that works there feeds them. Never seen any dogs

Of course the gas stations here all charge for air, and the paper towel dispensers have been empty for years. I am kind of surprised they don't charge an entrance fee now that you mention it, they charge for everything else :)

There are lots of cats. A lady that works there feeds them. Never seen any dogs

Of course the gas stations here all charge for air, and the paper towel dispensers have been empty for years. I am kind of surprised they don't charge an entrance fee now that you mention it, they charge for everything else :)

They built a new Wawa close to me and they're really keeping it in tip top shape and clean and well stocked. Completely different from usual the mini-marts. Race Track and a few of the other bigger brand gas stations are stepping up their game so that they can complete. There is hardly anyone going the dirty, run down mini-marts around here any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in-between. Here in MN, at least in the metro, we're down to 2 "U-pull" yards. I love them. Their website does allow for inventory searching, but it's limited to year/make/model/date of arrival into the yard. Beyond that, you're on your own. Entry fee is $3.

The yard itself is organized into 4 simple sections: one each for domestic and import trucks/SUV's along with the same for cars. For cars, they further organize by manufacturer: GM, Ford, Chrysler, with the imports being lumped together.

It's by far my favorite yard to visit. The cars are all sitting on lifts, there's plenty of space between the rows, and their prices are very reasonable.

My impression is that riff raff don't like to work or to get their hands dirty so a junk yard is no place for them.
They don't go to work or get their hands dirty, they roam the yard and break things. Usually headlights and side glass, but you get the idea. Destruction is their pleasure, fortunately they have minute attention spans and grow bored quickly once they get their $3 worth of entertainment.

More than a few years ago when scrap metal hit record pricing, a lot of the old timey pick and pull independent own junkyards cashed out and closed. Even the few that are still around me have most of their vehicle on a time limit for pulls before they sent the remaining hulk off to the scrapper.

My favorite junkyard is still "cool" but I haven't bought a pull-it-myself part there since 2014. That was a drum brake backing plate for a Saturn s-series, which became unobtanium thanks to Saturn's dissolusion.

I get used OE parts off ebay. I've also gotten a new chinese mirror for $27 shipped when a local yard wanted $35 for a used part.

The "cool" yard is still my stop for good used tires-- they have a whole high-bay garage with stacks of the things, masking tape on treads with the size, and tolerable pricing: $20 for 15 inch and $5 per each additional inch. :LOL: When I started going there the tires were in a big bouncy pile out back, full of mosquito eggs. But they still had what I needed, at $5-10 per. Those were the glory days when I first got my HF tire changer, and meth-heads weren't overpricing used tires on CL or FBM. There was still shame, a wild-west feeling, around running used tires. This has faded.

Back