Walmart

I am starting new thread as I don't want to take original posters post. I went in today and checked oil then even checked online site (QuakerState). No more conventional for Pennzoil or Valvoline. All oils seemed to meet GF6a with exception of QuakerState which is GF5. i then went online and QuakerState is still GF5 and SN+ according to there site. I checked the oil at Chevron and Havoline ProDS is also GF5 for 5w20 (which I have stated before was there step child) with all others GF6 which I thought was odd until I read fine print which stated based on GF5. The Supertech is also GF5 or GF4 Dexos. Had sales of Pennzoil High Mileage and older qts of Pennzoil Conventional which was sold out but did have Valvoline Daily. Point of all this is to show you can get cheaper oils but may not meet latest Certification I.E GF6. I am at 1500 miles on Pennzoil Platinum which was highly discounted but unless Synthetic is considerable price then I will continue with the blends. No difference in feel, mileage or any other reason to go Synthetic with 5k oil changes. New Synthetic blend has some impressive numbers.

Supertech.jpeg

If the oil was manufactured after the first of the year it's a high probability that it's GF6 product in GF5 bottles.

Originally Posted by BLND1
If the oil was manufactured after the first of the year it's a high probability that it's GF6 product in GF5 bottles.

Do you have any proof of this?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Is your engine going to blow up because you are not running the latest spec?

A lot of worry over nothing

Not worried just an observation. Goes back to you get what you paid for. No free lunch.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Point of all this is to show you can get cheaper oils but may not meet latest Certification I.E GF6.

Do any cars spec this or require it yet ? My car would be perfectly happy on API SM oil....

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Point of all this is to show you can get cheaper oils but may not meet latest Certification I.E GF6.

Do any cars spec this or require it yet ? My car would be perfectly happy on API SM oil....

None yet that I know of. Since new spec is backward compatible and I am paying for it then why not? If I wanted to run what is not outdated specs I would have stockpiled oil for life of vehicle but that would be silly. I am paying good money for my vehicle which I try to treat it with maintenance with products that are improved with the hope of it lasting. Never had an engine failure of my own with GF5 but now that is outdated.

Our little red 2015 Chevy Sonic calls for Dexos . The 1st generation Dexos . As long as it says Dexos and full synthetic on the container , I am not going to worry about it . It is multi port injection . I try to change it & the filter around 5000 miles .

Only history. They don't throw away existing packaging. Since GF6A is backwards compliant it's perfectly acceptable to put it in GF5 bottles.

It's happened every time we switched standards since BITOG has existed.

Last edited:
I'm just disappointed that the new certification didn't result in clearance deals for the now-outdated oils! Or if it did, I missed them...
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Walmart, nice name for a thread.

I like Wal-Mart but between the hours of 8-11am. No one there.

Originally Posted by Gene K

Only history. They don't throw away existing packaging. Since GF6A is backwards compliant it's perfectly acceptable to put it in GF5 bottles.

You mean BITOG really exists. I thought it was part of the Matrix.
16.gif

Originally Posted by Gene K

This is correct. The oil company cannot switch processes on a dime. The rules are that the labeling on the jugs cannot show the new certification until a specified date. In this case that date was May 1.

Originally Posted by RyanY
I'm just disappointed that the new certification didn't result in clearance deals for the now-outdated oils! Or if it did, I missed them...
confused2.gif

Why would they ? There's absolutely nothing "wrong" with these oils and they're by no means "outdated". Superseded, yes. Out-dated ? Nope

I so agree, people lighten up it's only motor oil and it doesn't change enough to notice or care about. Usually it's a downgrade from the previous.

Pim Tac that is utter BITOG blasphomey.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Pim Tac that is utter BITOG blasphomey.

...‚...‚

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by RyanY
confused2.gif

Why would they ? There's absolutely nothing "wrong" with these oils and they're by no means "outdated". Superseded, yes. Out-dated ? Nope

That was my point. Nothing wrong with outdated certifications. The oil companies and/or stores often clearance perfectly good oil because of new labels, a new sponsor, etc. I was just hoping to scoop up some "now outdated" oil for a good deal.

Back