Walmart Supertech Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, My statement was that my CONVENTIONAL UOAs have been better than my Syn ones.

I have posted more UOAs here than most. More than 2..
grin.gif

I've got a VW Jetta with OVER 300k that has seen 99% Fram filters and 99% Conventional oil.

That car has seen cold temps and 10w-30 conventional oil and is still running, never needed anything but oil, filters and gas.

Runs great, clean and passes smog with ease.

Wonder how that happened?
confused.gif

Fram filters work. Are there better ones avail for a lower cost? YES.

If you use a Fram will your engine explode? NO.

Do I use Frams now?

No. Too much money. I go with best bang for the buck that will GET THE JOB DONE with protecting the engine and keeping it running.

Also bringing up the Pennzoil myth...
smirk.gif

Thats all it is. A Myth. Pennzoil is a excellent oil. Always has.
cheers.gif

Take care, Bill

PS: 150k is just broke in. My 2005 has almost 70k miles on it.

Bill in Utah also wrote in post #808434 - 01/24/07 10:38 AM:

"I've done the UOAs and for me, its a fact. My Pennzoil UOA was better thant the Mobil 1. @ 5k."

4. Does Pennzoil have paraffins which cause sludging while other brands don't?

Sludging is prevented by, not caused by, the use of paraffinic oils. Pennzoil as well as all other major motor oil producers use paraffinic base oils to produce motor oil. This type of base oil has advantages over the other types of mineral oil available, which is why they are universally used. The only exceptions are synthetic motor oils, which of course cost much more than mineral oil based motor oils. Synthetic base stocks are 100% paraffinic. Technically, paraffinic oil is a term used to describe the chemical structure, not the wax content. Through dewaxing in the refinery and the addition of pour point depressants during blending any harmful effects of wax are eliminated or neutralized.

http://www.pennzoil.com/site/faq.html

Paraffin is not synonymous with sludge as many on this site believe, Paraffin is a word derived PARUM AFFINIS which means not enough affinity. Paraffin crude is a family of hydrocarbons that exhibites limited reactivity. At present this means very little , with a process that CHEVRON has for example crude can be taken from any part in the world and refined into very high quality basestocks.

Quote:

I may be new to this forum but I've joined many others, one thing is with oil & filters you can go in circles with everyones opinions.
I'm just experimenting for myself and believe as long as you change your oil & filter on a regular basis you can use any products you please with the exception of the Fram Oil Filters. That is one point brought up in any automotive forum, Fram filters are very poorly constructed and not very well thought of. Check out saturnfans.com and others and see the hate for Fram.

First off, currently I do not currently use Fram filters, but I have a vehicle with 192K that spent the first 100K using them. The filtering part is fine, especially in the orange cans the anti-drain back valve is the problem.

As "Bill" said earlier, your vehicle will not explode or die from using a Fram, but there are other filters that are cheaper.

Have felt for years that I would be doing my customers a disservice by recomending 3,000mi oil changes. Currently mark next service mileage at 3,500, knowing that most of them will run over by atleast another 500 miles.

Bob

Hey, go easy guys. How many of you have found peace and tranquility with the wife and kids?????

Hmmmmmm??????? At least he has the priorities straight!

I'd say that anything less than 5-7k miles/6-mo is a waste for any over-the-counter SM/GF-4 conventional oil.

My Saturn ran fine at 7-10k drains on 5W30 conventional for the majority of its life and the valvetrain is clean. But I added 1 qt every 2000 miles.

The last time I bought Mobil 1 was when PepBoys had the Buy 1, Get 1 Free deal. I bought 10 cases.

And to be honest, that was the very last time in my life I will every buy any synthetic oil. Now for the million dollar question...

When will Redline Oil come out with their own line of oil filters ??
dunno.gif

Ya know, I have been asking myself why I spend so much time on this site. I have found an answer. Watching a few of you argue over each others opinions and statements, such as some in this thread, is way more entertaining than anything on TV.
stooges.gif

Right on rn2fine

And may I say, the Wally world filters are OK, too. Cheap and effective.

I don't think there's a hoot of difference between 3k changes, or 6k changes. I do it by time, changing by season and I rarely even consider mileage betwen changes.

My first 2 cars, I don't every remember changing the oil in the years I had them.

Well, it's pointless to argue with Bill. He's done too many UOAs with too many cheapie oils, and all of em were clean. I disagree about the filters. With an 8K OCI, I want a PureOne, or an Amsoil, and then use it for two OCI

For a 3K OCI? Correct, probably anything is adequate..

I've been running dino Supertech 5W-30 with the advanced auto parts filter in my 2001 Civic..no issues...yet.

about 1500 lol.
I figured it would spark enough opinions so I could either continue with it or change now and never look back.
then again, Auto Zone has 98 cents/qt oil ...but i don't think the VTEC will like that...i'll save that for my 92 Galant with 140k on the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back