Walmart stock on 0W-20???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil/filter on our new 2017 Honda Pilot for the first time yesterday. Has anyone had trouble with stock on 0W-20 at their local Walmart? I went yesterday and the only filter they had stock of for the car was the Fram Ultraguard. All they had available in 0W-20 was Castrol Edge Black and Mobil 1 Advanced. Was going to use Synpower as it was on sale for $22.00 but none to be had. I wanted the Ultraguard so no big deal but all they had was one and no other brands in stock. I'm just shocked their selection was so poor considering 0W-20 is as common as it is now.

You may want to check online and see what they have. I know my local Walmart won't have oil on the shelf but if I order it they will generally get it for pickup at the store within two days.

Wal-Mart tends to not stock things with a low profit margin that are slow sellers. Being that you are in Texas, 0W20 is shunned by the few people who change there own oil. Plus most of the vehicles that spec 0W20 are newer which have owners that don't do there own maintenance.

Over here, Walmart is loaded up full of 0W-20 in Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline and Pennzoil.

10W-30 is the one getting harder to find.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Wal-Mart tends to not stock things with a low profit margin that are slow sellers. Being that you are in Texas, 0W20 is shunned by the few people who change there own oil. Plus most of the vehicles that spec 0W20 are newer which have owners that don't do there own maintenance.

It might be demographics. I live in a heavily Latino area. They usually don’t buy anything thinner than 10W-30. I guess the spec in Mexico/Central America is 10W-40. It sells better than anything else in the local stores.

Walmart.com and amazon.com are your better oil dealers. Gone are the days where all the available oil is on the shelves.
Just find it on the website, and go pick it up later that day or in two days. Usually I get same day pick up. If the price is better and you plan ahead amazon prime is worth it if your house does a lot of online shopping.

Yeah Amazon for the win if you have prime and your local WM is lame.

There's 4 WM stores within a reasonable distance to me. They all have totally different stock when it comes to oil and filters.

For instance one store has 5w30 magnatec all day every day, the other 3 do not have any magnatec at all.

Another store has M1 10w40 HM, none of the others stock it.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Thanks for the good laugh I got from your post. Nice to be able to speak for the 28 million folks who live in the state.

Bought some PP 0W20 for my daughter's car recently and I had several others to choose from...AFE, AP, some kind of Valvoline, probably a few others.
I bought the PP partly for the rebate and then had a bunch of trouble getting it submitted online, but it eventually worked out. Haven't heard anybody else complain about that recently, so I guess it's possible I have a funky setup on my home PC (just Chrome/W10). We'll see if my $10 shows up!

I noticed the same about WM and 0w-20s. This is precisely why you stalk clearance oils at both AAP and AZ. You get primo stuff and poquito prices, fam. just kin helping kinfolk, fam.

Most Walmarts I've been in are pretty well stocked with 0W-20 grades in a variety of labels.
It probably depends upon what grades move in any given location.
If your local moves almost no oil in the 0W-20 grade, then they won't stock much of it.
I can't see how you Texans get by without 0W-20 in those cold Texas winters.
Oh, wait.
It was a balmy 20F here this morning, so even a 10W-30 would have been fine, which is the grade we Yankees used for many years.
Without regard to what any manufacturer might recommend, there is nowhere in Texas that a 0W-20 would be of any advantage and the sales of that grade apparently reflect this, so not much is on the shelf.
It sure was nice back in the day, when every manufacturer trusted owners to be able to figure out a temp/visc chart.

YEah I got a Chrome browser running on this Lenovo laptop. Has good video memory for a basic black box. You guys the OP, realize that there are clearance oils at AAP right now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Most Walmarts I've been in are pretty well stocked with 0W-20 grades in a variety of labels.
It probably depends upon what grades move in any given location.
If your local moves almost no oil in the 0W-20 grade, then they won't stock much of it.
I can't see how you Texans get by without 0W-20 in those cold Texas winters.
Oh, wait.
It was a balmy 20F here this morning, so even a 10W-30 would have been fine, which is the grade we Yankees used for many years.
Without regard to what any manufacturer might recommend, there is nowhere in Texas that a 0W-20 would be of any advantage and the sales of that grade apparently reflect this, so not much is on the shelf.
It sure was nice back in the day, when every manufacturer trusted owners to be able to figure out a temp/visc chart.

This is easy. I have 4runners yes in the USA they say 0w20only

But for Puerto Rico they recommend a temp chart like the rest of the world.

Page 466
https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM35B46U/pdf/OM35B46U.pdf

Like others have said, 0w20 is probably not a hot seller in Texas so the Walmarts there might not carry much of it. I buy my oil at the Walmart in Niagara Falls, NY and they get pretty brutal winters there so they've got quite a huge stock of 0w20

Funny you mention. I went to 2 Walmart in my area in search of the 0W-20 and lucked up on a few 5Quart bottles of Mobil 1 EP at the 2nd location. I brought all the had at $26.99. I am in Atlanta

I think WM is trying to get rid of older stocks before bringing in the dexos g2 formulations. So maybe this is just a blip ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back