Walmart pricing on Fram 9688 Filters

pbm

While shopping at Walmart yesterday I noticed that Fram 9688 sized filters (Hyundai/ Kia replacement filter) are very close in price for EG, TG and Ultra. The orange EG was $9.24, the silver EG was $9.48 and the Ultra was $10.97. Who would buy an EG when the TG is less than a quarter (24 cents more)?
The strange thing is that Home Depot has the EG 9688 for under $5.

PS: I ran these on our Elantra and notice that some BITOGers are running them on Skyactive Mazda's. I have some left over and wonder what BITOG thinks of doing this (running them on the Mazda 2.5 Skyactiv)?

$11 for an FU ? I seem to remember that that size is an outlier and priced higher than their other more common ones. Did you happen to notice that ? FWIW, I've used the EG (silver, right ?) and XG (bronze, I think ?) on my wife's Fusion for 7-9k miles and had no complaints.

Fram is just fine on a Mazda engine.
I have run Fram 6607's on the Mazda but I've never ventured to run the larger 9688. The threads are the same and the gasket seems to be very close if not the same. I am only asking because I have several Hyundai filters but no longer service the Hyundai.

Danez Yoda: Are you saying the 9688's will be fine on the Mazda which specs 6607?

I have run Fram 6607's on the Mazda but I've never ventured to run the larger 9688. The threads are the same and the gasket seems to be very close if not the same. I am only asking because I have several Hyundai filters but no longer service the Hyundai.

Danez Yoda: Are you saying the 9688's will be fine on the Mazda which specs 6607?
The Fram 7317 is just a longer version of the 6607. That's the one most people up-size to if they have the extra room.

The Fram 7317 is just a longer version of the 6607. That's the one most people up-size to if they have the extra room.
I've used the 7317s without issues....I'm just wondering if I should give my Hyundai filters away or use them in our Mazda.

eek! For that price, get the Full 2-OHY001 instead. Napa has their bucket sale this month, so buy 3 items or more in a single order and get 20% off. If you buy online, you don't even have to buy the bucket. That makes it $5.99 with the discount.

For the Skyactiv Mazda, the 2-OMD007 is the same price.

Walmart will price match their website. Their prices online are about 30-40 cents cheaper than in store around me.

IMHO those WM prices mean little as an average WM oil filter shopper goes and buys what fits at last minute. Just a personal observation.
Also, if one wants to use Kia/Hyundai oil filter, just order Mann W811/80 from RA, they are about $5/ea and are same as Kia/Hyundai filters sans the color.

I was at Walmart getting some camping stuff for an upcoming scout trip with my son and started to notice there are sometimes huge differences in price between the store and web. For example I bought 2 ultra light cots and 2 camp blankets, the online price for the cot was $49.95 and the blanket $19.95. I even scanned them with Walmart phone app to verify. When we got to check out the cots rang up as $76 and the blankets $24.88. I had a manager come over who adjusted the price to match the web price but that's a huge difference! Today I needed Coleman fuel and I remember the in store price being over $10 a gallon, Web price $7.64 I just ordered online for store pickup to avoid having to do the price match thing. Not sure what is going on with the wild difference is prices all the sudden but it may be a good idea to scan items in store with the app to see if the prices match. I am finding a bunch of stuff lately that don't

I was at Walmart getting some camping stuff for an upcoming scout trip with my son and started to notice there are sometimes huge differences in price between the store and web. For example I bought 2 ultra light cots and 2 camp blankets, the online price for the cot was $49.95 and the blanket $19.95. I even scanned them with Walmart phone app to verify. When we got to check out the cots rang up as $76 and the blankets $24.88. I had a manager come over who adjusted the price to match the web price but that's a huge difference! Today I needed Coleman fuel and I remember the in store price being over $10 a gallon, Web price $7.64 I just ordered online for store pickup to avoid having to do the price match thing. Not sure what is going on with the wild difference is prices all the sudden but it may be a good idea to scan items in store with the app to see if the prices match. I am finding a bunch of stuff lately that don't
yes, I've noticed this too when purchasing other stuff after checking out and reviewing my receipt.

Walmart even says on their site that online prices may differ from in-store. Sometimes, they even differ between two nearby stores

Walmart even says on their site that online prices may differ from in-store. Sometimes, they even differ between two nearby stores
I expect some small regional differences but 40% more in store? The app knows what store you are in using GPS and it still won't show the same price on the shelf when you scan an item.

The FRAM XG PH9688 on the Accent has the orange anti-drainback was under $9 . Many others had the black anti-drainback valve in early > mid spring . Mid June they were 1/2 the price and all had the orange valve . :rolleyes:

Last edited:
IMHO those WM prices mean little as an average WM oil filter shopper goes and buys what fits at last minute. Just a personal observation.
Also, if one wants to use Kia/Hyundai oil filter, just order Mann W811/80 from RA, they are about $5/ea and are same as Kia/Hyundai filters sans the color.
Almost did just that, but the shipping was atrocious. It was cheaper to just go and buy OEM filters.

Almost did just that, but the shipping was atrocious. It was cheaper to just go and buy OEM filters.
It's sure unwise to buy a single filter and to ship it but if you buy them in 10-12 packs and esp combine with other parts like cabin and engine air filters etc, then you save in the end, just make sure parts ship from same warehouse. That's what I do.

Back