Walmart Oil Changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting my oil and filter changed at a suburban Walmart store every 5,000 miles, for each of my 3 Hondas.

They use Quaker State API SN oil. It costs only $21.47 total, including tax.
They very strictly follow a set of rules and procedures (which I think is exactly what you want as a customer).
On the receipt, they indicate the oil level before the oil change, so you can know if you car is using oil in between oil changes.
They also check the battery and the tire air pressures, and give you a detailed receipt.

To put this in perspective, my local Honda Dealership charges $34.95 for an oil change.
I asked if they use Genuine Honda Oil, and my Honda dealer said no, they use bulk oil made by Gulf.
So Walmart might actually be using a better oil than the more expensive oil change at the Honda dealer.

So, I would guess, 95% of the cars in the US are getting oil changes with the cheapest oil that dealerships / gas stations can find,
with no bad affects (as long as its API SN oil).

So at $21.47 for an API SN oil change at Walmart, I don't see any downside.

Also, after being a long term member on this forum, I think the best strategy is to change the oil every 5,000 miles with API SN oil,
and checking the oil level once a month and topping it off if necessary, is the best "and cheapest" strategy.

I always ask myself this question: If I were buying a used car, would I want the previous owner to be doing
frequent oil changes every 5K miles, or would I want them to do 10k to 15k extended oil changes.
The answer is obvious. Frequent 5K oil changes would mean the car will have less sludge and engine wear.
With the Walmart API SN oil change for $21.47, frequent oil changes can also be the least annual cost as well.

Just wanted to share this with the forum, and ask for your comments.

Bill

There is something to be said for not crawling under a car outside and doing your own oil changes when it is 9 degrees Fahrenheit outside.

And it makes good sense to have the vehicle on a rack to remove and replace the drain plug and filter in a heated garage.

Last edited:
Service can be hit or miss. I have used and trust my local Walmart over the years, but my daughter has had issues where she lives in southern Kansas. She goes to a trusted independent mechanic and pays more.

I recently went shopping for a used car for my daughter. I looked at about 12 privately owned cars and everyone of them was clean as a whistle under the oil cap. Every owner said they went to Walmart or some other quick lube place for oil changes. It seems the message to change regularly is getting across and the quick lube places do more than satisfactory job.

That's my plan, 5k--although I've found a tire chain (Autotire) that charges less for VWB with their card and a coupon. Dealers don't put their sharpest on oil changes and my GF's experience getting Magnetec for her first oil change was pleasant at Wally World. Got the capacity down to a tenth of a quart--5.1- and charged her a few pennies for the extra tenth quart. After she rolls it around to mileage divisible by 5k she'll probably use QS.

Last edited:
Bill7 The answer is obvious. Frequent 5K oil changes would mean the car will have less sludge and engine wear. Bill[/quote said:
Just because you think so doesn't make it so. I don't know how much extra the next buyer of your car will pay due to your maintenance history at 5k miles vs 10k miles

Oil is oil. If it meets specs they're all good enough for 5000 miles.

My Rav4 went to a quick lube place for the first of its 240k miles.

The attorney my wife works for takes his Expedition to Walmart for oil changes. He's gotten the past two of Expeditions to over 200k miles.

Speaking of QS, I switched from Firestone when they ditched Kendall blend for QS conventional. Turns out almost all SN is semi syn in order to meet specs. So it was just advertising. Used ST religiously when it was the Wally $10 special a decade ago. Worked great and there's a good uoa on a newish 02: Elantra from the early days of this board.

Do any of your Hondas have the minder? Because you might be able to go even longer with cheap oil changes from Walmart, the gas station, etc
smile.gif

Has anyone used their headlight restoration service @ 30$ per vehicle? Website says it's a "new" service.

I visit the TLE near me all the time…to dispose of used oil. Their oil change prices seem reasonable though and their techs look "seasoned".

$21.46 for basic oil change. $6.66 for Mark of the Beast special with 20-50 racing oil. I would put that news story into the classification of what happens when you have a full employment economy. What we need is a recession to get rid of rifraff employees.

Last edited:
I have watched my local Walmart places doing oil changes while I was getting tires or battery replacement. I am impressed with them picking the quart bottles of oil & filter from the store stock. I also was impressed with the attitude of the worker doing the job. They are not afraid to use a torque wrench. This in contrast to a dealer, who often uses a no name bulk oil that is changed by anyone available including the floor sweeper. Ed

I used to get WM oil changes for years. Never had a problem. I knew I wasn't getting ripped off on my synthetic changes because they'd take the M1 bottles from the shelf right in front of me. With other shops, it's hard to know if you're getting the oil you paid for.

My Mazda dealer uses bulk oil supplied by Total. Total supplies all the Mazda dealers in the USA. Do you suppose they formulate their product to Mazda specs?

Originally Posted by Randy_R
My Mazda dealer uses bulk oil supplied by Total. Total supplies all the Mazda dealers in the USA. Do you suppose they formulate their product to Mazda specs?

Mazda has special oil Specs?

I've seen people get the following treatment at particular Walmart twice:

Out- old oil
In: nothing

Both times it was an elderly man coming in to tell the manager that the tech forgot to put oil back in the car. With that being said, I'm sure there are good locations that are managed well and good employees are hired. This location was just seemed not to care. It's probably more of a training ground than anything. Techs likely go to a higher paying job once they get enough time and experience.

My mechanic will change it for $10, if I bring my own oil and filter. Plus, he gives everything a good look over while it is up on the rack, and checks everything under the hood.

Plus, there's a great BBQ place right across the street. It's a win-win.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Both times it was an elderly man coming in to tell the manager that the tech forgot to put oil back in the car.

Was it the same elderly man both times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back