Walmart near me do not sell havoline oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MetalSlug
[ 6 qt box i found best deal for my situation, when i live in MS, its every where, now im in Texas ( much better state then ms ) no where to be found.

No "nearby" Walmart around me stocks these boxed oils but I can have it available for pick-up in (2) days. Others have suggested this to you as well so why not go this route ? Do you have emergency oil changes where you need this oil and only this oil ? Of course you don't.... Plan ahead, order it and in 2-3 days you'll have it sitting in your garage ready for when you need it.

Wallys don't stock oil/filters like they used to. I remember an entire long isle, both sides with motor oil choices some years back. Like said, you pretty much have to buy through the website if you want something specific. As huge as my local WalMarts are, there's very few choices for motor oil. Transmission fluid is even worse. Standing right in the isle, I had to search it's location on my phone to find the 4qt jugs of Maxlife ATF. Bottom shelf and the ONLY choice for ATF. In terms of motor oil, I only buy Supertech synthetic unless I can find another synthetic cheaper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Is Havoline good again? I recall it was good in the 80's and early 90's Then Chevron ruined it.
PQIA reports are very unexceptional on paper.

Hard to beat QSGB for a "conventional" oil. Even though there are no "conventional" ILSAC oils

How did they ruin it? On paper, it looks a lot like every other synthetic oil in a given weight. What stands out as being so inferior about it?

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
Any one live around Dallas Fort Worth area . They do not carry any havoline oil.

Quaker state is the only cheap oil .

Get SuperTech. Or order it online for pick up.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Is Havoline good again? I recall it was good in the 80's and early 90's Then Chevron ruined it.
PQIA reports are very unexceptional on paper.

Hard to beat QSGB for a "conventional" oil. Even though there are no "conventional" ILSAC oils

How did they ruin it? On paper, it looks a lot like every other synthetic oil in a given weight. What stands out as being so inferior about it?

I've tried it a couple times in the past, maybe it was GF-4 back then, but I was very unimpressed.

Here is some PQIA data, and yes I know VOA isn't everything:

PHYSICAL TESTS Chevron Havoline ProDS SAE 5W20
TBN, mg KOH/g (ASTM D2896) 7.50
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 6.9 to Viscosity @40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 45.66
Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270) 162
Viscosity @-30ºC mPa s (cP) (ASTM D5293) 6,600 Max 3,873
Volatility, mass % loss, 1 hr, @ 250ºC (ASTM D5800) 15 Max -c 12.4

Calcium, ppm 2,165
Magnesium, ppm 10
Phosphorus, ppm 600 to 800 -d 716
Zinc, ppm 780
Molybdenum, ppm 56
Barium, ppm Boron, ppm 3
Silicon, ppm 4
Potassium, ppm Manganese, ppm Titanium, ppm Copper, ppm Sodium, ppm Vanadium, ppm Contaminants
Silver, ppm Aluminum, ppm Chromium, ppm Iron, ppm Nickel, ppm Lead, ppm 2
Antimony, ppm Tin, ppm

Now here is Supertech :

PHYSICAL TEST SuperTech High Mileage SAE 0W20
TBN, mg KOH/g (ASTM D2896) 8.37
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 6.9 to Viscosity @40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 46.89
Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270) 172
Viscosity @-35ºC mPa s (cP) (ASTM D5293) 6,200 Max 5,929
Volatility, mass % loss, 1 hr, @ 250ºC (ASTM D5800) 15 Max -c 10
ELEMENTAL ANALYSIS (click for test details) - a, b
Additives
Calcium, ppm 1,336
Magnesium, ppm 588
Phosphorus, ppm 600 to 800 -d 785
Zinc, ppm 852
Molybdenum, ppm 84
Barium, ppm Boron, ppm 243
Silicon, ppm 6
Potassium, ppm Manganese, ppm Titanium, ppm Copper, ppm Sodium, ppm Vanadium, ppm Contaminants
Silver, ppm Aluminum, ppm Chromium, ppm Iron, ppm Nickel, ppm Lead, ppm Antimony, ppm Tin, ppm <1

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
I wouldn't second guess the people at Chevron.

Chevron is involved in virtually every facet of the energy industry. While every company has their own patents, there is virtually nothing about oil, from discovery to the wellhead to the finished oil/gas that go into your car, that XOM or BP or whomever knows, that Chevron doesn't. Aside from mfg grp3, Chevron's ISOCRACKING and ISODEWAXING processes creates grp2+ oils rivaling grp3 in viscosity index and volatility.

Last edited:

I wouldn't either. Never a issue using Chevron Supreme or even their DELO XLE 10w30 in the sump at the present time.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

I wouldn't either. Never a issue using Chevron Supreme or even their DELO XLE 10w30 in the sump at the present time.
smile.gif

Ditto.. the vast majority of my 164k miles has been logged on Supreme 5/30. No excessive engine sounds, no oil burning to necessitate topping off, no signs of excessive varnish/sludge. (when I did the valve covers a couple years back I had a small leak develop of all places, right above the freaking alternator..so I just decided to do both).

Most grpIII majority I've run look good on paper and perform TERRIBLY in the engine.

VI is good for severe multigrade but something is wrong here, some severe compromise.

API SL/SM/SN ; ILSAC GF-3,4,5 in such rapid succession

Look like they are having a hard time getting it right at the cost targets.

Most grpIII majority I've run look good on paper and perform TERRIBLY in the engine.

So you are saying they actually fail the certifications and approvals they show on the label?

Originally Posted by kschachn

So you are saying they actually fail the certifications and approvals they show on the label?

Yeah, that's what I thought.
crazy2.gif

They do sell it. Order it online. Pickup at store or get it delivered. Done.

This, I got some Havoline DS 5w30 in the six quart box, shipped to store for about 19 total a month ago. It was on sale.

To have to acknowledge, at least you said "Walmarts near me". Too often, someone comes along and makes an announcement of "Walmart stopped selling 'x' !" when it just may apply to one, single store. Don't know how many times I've seen "Walmart stopped selling Castrol Edge" or other things like that.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Very good point ^^^^^^

Store to store consistency is not always the case with many stores.

We have twin Walmart SC's built B2B by the same contractor … 12 miles apart … but floor layout, clearance strategies, and what they stock is surprisingly different …

Yeah very true 4wd....

Most stock is the same... But sometimes it is not... Hard to know what they do...

Yeah … as a bargain hunter I know which will slash pool chemicals and lawn/garden stuff to make space for festive season things … and I can nail enough for spring/summer

VI is good for severe multigrade but something is wrong here, some severe compromise.

API SL/SM/SN ; ILSAC GF-3,4,5 in such rapid succession

Look like they are having a hard time getting it right at the cost targets.

The problems with your engine because grp3 base stocks perform just fine in millions of cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back