WalMart F150 Tires choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my factory Goodyears are getting low and dry rotted and are in need of replacement before the snow flies.

I've recently had some considerable medical and home improvement bills, so I've decided to seek out a lower priced tire. I visited a local Walmart and found the Goodyear Tracker 2's and Uniroyal Liberators. My '03 F150 4WD runs 265/70R17's. The Tracker 2's are $120/tire and IIRC, the Lib's were about $125/$130.

A search didn't dig up too much info on these tires. Anybody run either of these? I'm kind of leaning towards the Tracker 2's, because my current GY's have lasted 72K miles. Thoughts?

My truck is strictly a daily driver/tow rig. The most off road it sees, is towing my Jeep on dirt roads with possible snow cover in the winter to get to the trail head.

Thanks for any input guys.

General Grabber HTS is top of customer surveys on Tirerack.

Onlinetires.com lists your size at $102 + shipping.

Check to see if you have Discount Tire/America's Tire in your area, they list your size for $141 + installation + tax.
Right under the price there is a note: Found it Lower? Let us Know! Click on that and fill in the blanks. They may match the Onlinetires.com price (plus shipping)

I think at that price point, the Goodyear is as good as anything out there. If you want a deal, Tire Rack has some specials on tires in your size.

Nice thing about Walmart tires is if you have a problem, you can take them back to any Walmart store and they'll take care of it. The downside to the Tracker 2 is they are sold ONLY at Walmart so only Walmart can offer warranty service. A regular Goodyear retailer cannot help you with a warranty claim on a Walmart tire.

Dad has the Tracker 2's on his Sierra.

They're nothing special, but they're still better than the Goodyear Wrangler ST's that were the OE tires on it. I'd rather have the Trackers than the Uniroyal Liberators. Uniroyal is a lower quality tire, with flimsy sidewalls.

They're a good value for the money.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Dad has the Tracker 2's on his Sierra.

They're nothing special, but they're still better than the Goodyear Wrangler ST's that were the OE tires on it. I'd rather have the Trackers than the Uniroyal Liberators. Uniroyal is a lower quality tire, with flimsy sidewalls.

They're a good value for the money.

Umm, what Liberators were you looking at? Ive handled many of both of these tires and the Liberator sidewalls are always about twice as thick compared to the Tracker 2.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee

Umm, what Liberators were you looking at? Ive handled many of both of these tires and the Liberator sidewalls are always about twice as thick compared to the Tracker 2.

Handled? Since you handled so many, are you sure you're not confusing "P" tires with "LT" tires?

I had a set. Flimsy sidewalls made the truck feel like it was running on half flat tires all of the time, floated all over the road.

They really rode nice though, like they were filled with pudding instead of air.

Strange. Ive never driven them above 15mph so I dont know how it actually drives, but they are thicker than the Trackers.
P vs P and LT vs LT.
Some of the LTs are almost an inch thick (measured unscientifically)
Oh well..

Have been running two Liberators on my F350 for three years or so. Load range E. No problems. Seem to be a good tire. No info on Goodyear Tracker 2 as they were not available when I made my purchase.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Does it have to be WM? Check out VIP for decent cheep rubber.

I used to buy from VIP when I lived in NH, but the closest one from me now is in Nashua. It might be worth the ride. Maybe visit the inlaws too.
crazy2.gif

V.I.P Auto is a New England parts chain that has stores in Mass, NH, and Maine. They have pretty decent prices and a nice selection of custom parts too.

Getting back to the tires, I think I'm going to check out a couple of small places and support local business!

Not keen on either of those two choices. I did look at Walmart.com as you can have them shipped to the store for free but none were as cheap as the T2's.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
V.I.P Auto is a New England parts chain that has stores in Mass, NH, and Maine. They have pretty decent prices and a nice selection of custom parts too.

Getting back to the tires, I think I'm going to check out a couple of small places and support local business!

Got you....

walmart has bad prices on tires.

no selection and the ones you do get are usually more than the local tire shops.

Its a ripoff getting tires there.. you think ok walmart will be cheaper like they are on everything else... but they arent.

Find a tire you like.. get out phonebook make some calls for 30min.. get better deal.. and be anti-walmart at the same time... win-win :p

Uniroyal is one of Michelin's brand names. Both these tire models are exclusive to Wally. We don't know what compromises were made to get the cost down...cheaper rubber compounds, or whatever.

I'd go to local tire chains and ask for a better tire at a cheaper price. Costco might have a BFGoodrich (another of Michelin's brands) at a good price. In the parts of the country that have Discount Tire/American's Tire, they'll beat Wally's price every day. When you decide which tire to get, ask them how low they'll sell them for. You'll get a better price. Always ask for a lower price. Many shops will match or beat other shops' prices.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Uniroyal is one of Michelin's brand names. Both these tire models are exclusive to Wally. We don't know what compromises were made to get the cost down...cheaper rubber compounds, or whatever.

I'd go to local tire chains and ask for a better tire at a cheaper price. Costco might have a BFGoodrich (another of Michelin's brands) at a good price. In the parts of the country that have Discount Tire/American's Tire, they'll beat Wally's price every day. When you decide which tire to get, ask them how low they'll sell them for. You'll get a better price. Always ask for a lower price. Many shops will match or beat other shops' prices.

+1

Originally Posted By: Rand
walmart has bad prices on tires.

no selection and the ones you do get are usually more than the local tire shops.

Its a ripoff getting tires there.. you think ok walmart will be cheaper like they are on everything else... but they arent.

Within the last couple years the cheezy douglas tire has gone from ~$35 to $65 for a 205/65/15. Unnaturally the "good" ones are still only $70 there.

Their cheap batteries have gone from $30 to $50 in the same timeframe, while the expensive ones only $70 to $75.

They appear to have some twisted humor in getting the bloke after the cheapest possible whatever into assuming they'll be providing it.

I'd not be afraid of getting a middle-line tire there, but I wouldn't blindly do so either.

Update: Well, finally pulled the plug on some rubber.

I found a great deal - and of all places, the dealership. I ended up going with the tried and true BFG All Terrains in the LT265/70R17 flavor. The ride is pis-sah and it looks good too.
I could almost say I'm looking forward to next winter.

Sorry Walmart, had to buy elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back