Wall Street Journal worldwide EV test.

1) It allows no such thing, nor does it affect charge rates of modestly sized battery packs. Note: Battery capacity is unchanged, despite the operational voltage chosen. Huge battery packs, such as might be found in a pickup or larger vehicle can take advantage of higher voltage to reduce charging wire size.
2) TX has a 70% increase in electrical cost. We have a 44% increase. Any way you slice it, that will be passed on to the charger costs. No question charging at home is cheaper. Guys like me are never home, so things like this matter. A LOT.
1) I was just quoting the manufacturer (I think it was VW now that I think about it), that their "logics" of 800V charging will save money is to reduce the capacity and therefore range, but since you can fast charge then it is ok. So, sure, if you take it with a grain of salt.

2) TX cost increase is due to the "winterization" and not connecting to the grid. They enjoyed the saving and they ended up having to pay for those emergency measure to keep power up. Also in oil country why would you care about EV? The whole "toll instead of fuel tax" thing is really stacked against fuel economy and in favor of larger less fuel efficient vehicle. If I were in Texas I wouldn't own an EV ever. Places are far apart as well, so the range gets eat up. The best place to drive EV is short range, high density, high traffic area like a city state. Singapore? London? Paris? LA? San Francisco? NYC? Phoenix?

Many of the people complaining about EV's will be worm food long before they will no longer have the option to buy an ICE vehicle. I look forward to seeing what the future holds.
Yep totally agree as although I really have little against electric in general I think it will take a few decades to really get a solid grip on it being mainstay for the majority. I'm just over half a century in age, so will keep rocking what I own as long as possible. I will gladly say it does indeed get old seeing the constant mention of fuel cost, EV advertisement, etc. on TV, online, etc. Of course companies will really capitalize on what is plaguing the world in order to profit, but I simply try to ignore most of it.

Yep totally agree as although I really have little against electric in general I think it will take a few decades to really get a solid grip on it being mainstay for the majority. I'm just over half a century in age, so will keep rocking what I own as long as possible. I will gladly say it does indeed get old seeing the constant mention of fuel cost, EV advertisement, etc. on TV, online, etc. Of course companies will really capitalize on what is plaguing the world in order to profit, but I simply try to ignore most of it.
I will be driving manuals whole my life. There are enough right now where I can buy them used. I will squeeze everything out of my BMW and keep it until kids get older. We got kids later in life and I can see what cars I will end the journey with if all good (health).
But my kids will probably drive their kids in EV minivan. And that is how life works. They will have grumpy grandad who will say “you don’t know what is car. It is not car without clutch,” but that is fine. That is how life works.
In 2100 Wells Fargo will use ICE insted of carriage as advertising how old their business is.

Given that the high 90% of accidents are caused, at least in part, by driver error, any self driving car would do the trick, right?
This reply might be out of context but the major problem with self driving cars is once they are in an accident the manufacturer of the vehicle itself will be responsible for the accident not the driver.
Manufactures will be a major target for financial compensation every time one of the vehicles is in an accident and wow, you can bet attorneys and their clients will go after their deep pockets.

Last edited:
It wont be a problem for me as soon as I can pull into any gas station and charge up an EV as fast as I fill my gas tank, until then, I will not own one. I suspect my first EV maybe h2.
But you can also charge at home so the only time you need to recharge away from home is if you're on a long distance journey. I'd be willing to go for a 20 minute fill up. But realistically, the large gas stations are going to install the quick chargers soon. God willing we're both alive in 5 years to see it.

If only we could go back to the good old days. Model Ts getting 200 miles max and 20,000 gas stations in the entire country. Of course the horse drawn carriage was going to win out over the noisy unreliable automobile.

If only we could go back to the good old days. Model Ts getting 200 miles max and 20,000 gas stations in the entire country. Of course the horse drawn carriage was going to win out over the noisy unreliable automobile.
Yes, the current EVs are the Model Ts in my opinion.
I said it many times, until they provide their own electricity EVs will be primitive and inconvenient for much of the population.
Dont think for a minute that Exxon/Mobil, BP, ect, ect, ect is going to close down their business over EVs.

EVs stand for electric vehicle but many people seem to be fixated that means it needs to have a battery to charge and an extension cord to plug in.

This is incorrect, the modern EVs will produce their own electricity, limited by range no more then finding your local gas station.
The modern EV will produce its own electricity using Hydrogen that you will refill at your local "gas" station. Problem solved with range.

The current EVs are TRULY the model T's in the EV world and its laughable to me to think otherwise.

Last edited:
This reply might be out of context but the major problem with self driving cars is once they are in an accident the manufacturer of the vehicle itself will be responsible for the accident not the driver.
Manufactures will be a major target for financial compensation every time one of the vehicles is in an accident and wow, you can bet attorneys and their clients will go after their deep pockets.
Good point. My WAG is that automakers will never advertise fully autonomous and the sales agreement will contain all sorts of disclaimers. This will put insurers on notice that the driver is fully responsible for the operation of his/her vehicle.

Or perhaps there will be some national insurance pool with a maximum payout per incident/death. Who knows?

Back