Wal-mart Super Tech filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always used WIX, then more recently I switched to the Pro-tec filters & buy them by the case (but they are made by WIX too). The Pro-tec is obviously not the quality of the regular WIX filters but they work.

However, on my g/f car when I need a quick filter, lately I have been going for the Super Tech because I think it is a seriously GREAT quality filter & appears to be made well. I have heard they are made in USA by Champion Labs...And they are still cheap enough that I am considering switching from the Pro-tec to the Super-Tech if in fact they are as good as they seem???

Thoughts?

They're alright. The relief valve certainly isn't at the same quality level as WIX, and they are generally quite a bit smaller, plus the crush strength of the plastic tube probably isn't as high.

Yes, they seem to be a good filter, but there are better ones to be had.

I have one on the HL that will be coming off in ~600 miles, I'm excited to cut it open.

Excellent filters. E-core or regular ones..

I'd use them with NO worries.
thumbsup2.gif

Plenty of threads with photos here on Supertechs.

A little time looking for them will be very rewarding.
cheers3.gif

Bill In Utah, the underlined site above doesn't go anywhere. Can you redo? Thanks...Are Wix now being made in other than USA? I ask because I saw someone posted a question about a fuel filter made in China.

Originally Posted By: Jim Spahr
Bill In Utah, the underlined site above doesn't go anywhere. Can you redo? Thanks...Are Wix now being made in other than USA? I ask because I saw someone posted a question about a fuel filter made in China.

I just underlined the sentence, But I'll look up a few for you.

Wix filters (air for sure) are made out of the US for some of them.

One

two

three

four

five

six

seven

eight

nine

There are a few. Now, you'll notice there are members who have issues with anything other than THEIR brand and jump in every thread with nothing but blah blah blah...

The Supertech filters are very good and built fine. The new style E-Cores are very good too. Here is a PDF on those --> e-core

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: bepperb
plus the crush strength of the plastic tube probably isn't as high

The nylon cage is actually very strong.

Although I am staunchly anti fram, I like and use Super Tech filters on my beater/DD.

I think the main reason I don't have a problem with Super Tech's is because they don't try to represent this filter as being anything more than what it is, an economy filter and they price it accordingly.

"There are a few. Now, you'll notice there are members who have issues with anything other than THEIR brand and jump in every thread with nothing but blah blah blah..."
------------------------------------------------------------------

Amen.

Except for Extra Guard - you pays your money and takes your choice. If you intend to keep your car for 50,000 miles, you would maintain it differently than if you intended to keep it for 250,000. Using an ST in a car you keep for 250K will probably mean your engine will show more wear that if you use a WIX. The WIX will also probably be more forgiving if you don't change your oil at the recommended schedule.

That said, there are no guarantees in life. I used GC green and WIX filters in my daughter's Maxima. The motor was like new at 150K, only to have her total the car. In the Northeast, the bodies tend to rust out long before the mechanicals fail. AN OK car doesn't have to contend with those conditions. Personally, I tend to use the best parts and supplies I can get for my car without going boutique. Then again, I never intend to get rid of the car until Red Green calls it hopeless.

Supertechs are good filters, of course I think Fram's are alright too. I've never had an issue with a supertech filter.

I'm with TurboLuver in that they are just an inexpensive filter not trying to be anything but.
I was concerned about one aspect of their construction possibly being a restriction to oil flow, but in having now run one in my van with a true oil pressure gauge, that concern seems to be a non-issue.
Seems they work fine. Not my favorite filter.

Bill,

#3 with your "tell me which is the bad filter" made me laugh. But you're absolutely right.

In my apps, the Purolator on the outside is a good 3/4 inch longer than the supertech/stp so I'm interested to see the difference in element size. I'll post pics.

The older ST's were much like the older Premium Pluses. The larger ST's are Ecores now, likely still OK. Purolator? Not the same filter they were before Botch. Last one I cut open was a Fram like big empty can. My next oil change, I will see if my local AZ has the STP number I need.

Pro select? Never tried one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back