Wal Mart Pricing Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't go there for oil anymore. AZ or AAP have the synthetic oil sales all the time. You basically get it for Walmart prices when you take into account the high end K&N or M1 filters thrown in. Plus, with the AAP 40% discounts for buying online and picking up at store I've stocked up on higher end oils like RP at Walmart prices.
thumbsup2.gif

So lets see if I understand this, the unemplyment rate still hovers at 10%, most vehicle manus now pick up the service bills for the full coverage warranty period, few and fewer people are changing their own oil, prices are up everywhere so people just are not buying anything other than flat screen tvs, yet we blame walmarts sales decline on motor oil sales - something that was not even noticable in the past?

Originally Posted By: QuadDriver
So lets see if I understand this, the unemplyment rate still hovers at 10%, most vehicle manus now pick up the service bills for the full coverage warranty period, few and fewer people are changing their own oil, prices are up everywhere so people just are not buying anything other than flat screen tvs, yet we blame walmarts sales decline on motor oil sales - something that was not even noticable in the past?

Lubes and Greases magazine has been touting the declining DIY oil changers for many years. The Baby Boomer generation is getting older and they figure they will have someone else do it.
I'm one of the younger Boomers and I will be 50 this year.
shocked.gif
This might be the most shocking birthday I ever have. Half a century old......................

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
You can't beat their prices for ST dino. 5 qts of SN oil for $8, everyday price.

For other stuff, they aren't that much cheaper than Target.
$8 for ST dino? I thought ST dino was $11 (which is why it'd be so much better getting Mobil Super 5000 for $0.50 more.)

Originally Posted By: Paulson
Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
You can't beat their prices for ST dino. 5 qts of SN oil for $8, everyday price.

For other stuff, they aren't that much cheaper than Target.
$8 for ST dino? I thought ST dino was $11 (which is why it'd be so much better getting Mobil Super 5000 for $0.50 more.)

That's a great price for Walmart SuperTech Dino....$8 for 5 quarts!

Great looking Oil - http://www.pqiamerica.com/SupertechApril2010.htm

Last edited:
OT: Just found out that Costco price of Mobil 1 is about $4 difference within Orange County of So Cal. The price is $32.xx in north county and $36.xx in south county. I bought few cases for my friend with $9 off coupon, I wonder if bring in the receipt that showed $32.xx from another friend that he bought a case in north county I will get the refund of $4 a case ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
OT: Just found out that Costco price of Mobil 1 is about $4 difference within Orange County of So Cal. The price is $32.xx in north county and $36.xx in south county. I bought few cases for my friend with $9 off coupon, I wonder if bring in the receipt that showed $32.xx from another friend that he bought a case in north county I will get the refund of $4 a case ?

Maybe, maybe not. Depends if they "Price match" their own store.

Never was a Costco guy myself.

I can't stand Walmart for reasons not appropriate to discuss in this forum, but I do go there for oil sometimes. Some of their prices are just too good to ignore (e.g. $13.50 for 5 quarts of MaxLife blend). In addition to that, it's the only place that has 5-quart jugs. They strike legal agreements with oil suppliers to keep it that way, apparently.

Their prices on many other things isn't anywhere near as great as so many people seem to think it is. It doesn't take much work to prove this to yourself, but if you always go to Walmart and nowhere else, you're oblivious to it.

Target's oil section--at least in my area--is a bad, bad joke.

What I really wonder and cant understand is this: Down my way here in SW PA, wal mart has MOTORCRAFT SYN BLEND 5W20 I am currently using for 13$. Up in Punxsutawney (central PA), last weekend I bought a bottle or 5qt jug should say for like 11.50$. [censored]?! In my area and and in Punxsutawney, the ST 5W20 oil was 9.00$ back from 10.50$ a month and a half ago.

adam

Yeah I remember in 08 I had to cut my expenses 75% when it hit the fan remember that????
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: STG
That article is poorly written and incomplete.

Prices are up. No kidding, prices are up everywhere.

Same store sales are down 1.8%. Since Obama became president, I've had to cut my spending way more than 1.8%.

There is nothing that can be extrapolated from this story but you guys manage anyway.

With lots of auto shops offering 5qt oil and filter deals, I almost never go to walmart. You can pick up name brand oil cheaper than supertech, when the local stores are running promotions. I bought several qts of Shell and Chevron in the last few months for just $1.99 each.

Now walmart is not a bad place to shop, but it's just not much of bargain all the time.

Most of my oil stash was purchased from Kragen/O'Reilly. The only oil I bought from WM the last 10 years was 5 jugs, 3 jugs M1 and 2 Jugs PP for rebates last year, and M1 0W20 and 0W40 on clearance 3 years ago. The everyday price at WM is lower than regular price at any auto parts store, but still much higher than sale price that auto parts store has once in a while.

Been with Wal-mart for 15 years and have seen oil prices steadily climb over those years. I've seen good oils come and go and I've watched $1.00 per quart Pennzoil now getting close to $4.00 just to cite one example. One thing is constant--the suppliers go up so we go up. The profit margins have remained relatively the same over the years. No dust on any bottles of oil in my store, though!

I dont personally care to go to advance auto or autozone/[censored]. The people honestly dont know anything or their head from their rear. If I can get MOTORCRAFT SYN BLEND 5W20 or ST 5W20 for cheap at WALLY WORLD; then that is WHAT I WILL BUY! I see no discounts, great screamin deals, oh [censored] deals, bargains at any auto parts store PERIOD ALSO. I plan to keep running SUPER TECH 5W20 FOR 9.00$ AT WAL MART HERE IN PENNSYLVANIA.

The article's focus wasn't oil sales per se. It's the lower priced items that Wally removed about the same time they started renovating existing stores. They have lost business to the dollar stores while focusing on higher priced items. Apparently, they have seen the error of their ways and a now bringing back many of the low priced items.

As for oil, for everyday price and selection, Wally is unmatched. Yes, when the auto stores run promo oil/filter change specials they can be competitive or beat Wally, assuming the filter in the deal is one you want to run. Also, occasionally the auto stores will run an oil only sale that may beat Wally. But, the auto stores can't compete with Wally's everyday oil prices, sometimes even with oil on special compared to everyday 5qt jug price. And, that doesn't include the Wally price match (qts.) on special at other stores.

If you're talking regular price, WM can't be beat.

But the cheapest I find is the AAP specials, for example, this month it's 5 QTS of Castrol Syntec and a Bosch distance plus filter for $27.99.

If the filter were FREE, then it would be $5.50/QT for Syntec.

Can't beat that deal...I just stocked up on a few filters and 15 QTs of 5W40 Syntec...

Advance and Autozone can be beat easily. I know 5 friends that get big name brands for like 3-4$ cheaper than the auto parts stores. No, I wont name the friends or the oils either. Oil is and always has been MORE EXPENSIVE than WAL MART PERIOD. I dont do coupons, rebates or any of this b.s.

I want my oil, and I want it at a great price of 9.00$ and thats the bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back