Wal-Mart Canada - bye bye Fram, hello Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
He was replying to KevGuy, which makes it sarcastic by default.
lol.gif

Exactly!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
BTW - the few Purolators classics that I've purchased have all said 97.5% at 40 um on the box, which is hardly efficient at all. You keep restating this statistic, yet I've failed to see any documentation that this spec applies to all of their part numbers.

It only applies to the 4 smallest spin-on filters that Purolator makes (14610 being one of them). I was also told by Purolator, that all the cartridge filters are @40 microns. If it says "@40 microns" on the box, then that's what it is for that filter. All the others say "@20 microns" on the box.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Really? And this conclusion was arrived at through extensive research I presume. FYI, Wally Canada oil filter customers had no choice before, it was all Fram. So now they have Purolator instead of Fram, a different supplier, what's the problem? And FYI, majority Classic's have a better efficiency rating than the current orange can spec, 97.5% @ 20 um vs 95% > 20um.

BTW - the few Purolators classics that I've purchased have all said 97.5% at 40 um on the box, which is hardly efficient at all. You keep restating this statistic, yet I've failed to see any documentation that this spec applies to all of their part numbers.

As I said the "majority" Classic's have a better efficiency rating than the current orange can spec, which is an accurate statement as only the four smallest Purolator filters are rated at 40um, but thanks for the tip. While 'you' may dispute Purolator's 20um spec for the remainder of it's filters, you've offered no proof to the contrary. Waiting. Is there any proof that all Fram applications are the same as the spec on the box for each type filter?

And while the 4 smallest may spec at 40um my bet is even at 97.5% for the Classic and 99.9% for the P1, that would still make them much more efficienct than the A-02 OEM which is ~65% at 20um. So much for the theory of OEM products being superior to aftermarket in all cases.

There's also nothing to say that at 97.5 and 99.8 at 40um they couldn't be in the low to mid 90% at 20 um. Then again, if Purolator spec'd their filters similar to Fram they could say ALL Classics and P1's are 97.5 and 99.9% > 20um respectively and not be inaccurate. Just saying.

Lastly, recently checked Classic L14610 and it's still uses the same gasket it and all similar Purolator made fors have always used, it's a standard flat gasket type, not what most would describe as an "o-ring". Fwiw, only seen one poster describe that gasket as such, but even so I've seen no complaints of leaks here on properly installed filters.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Too bad, Fram makes make a superior air filter.

They certainly do, but there's no shortage of places to buy Fram air filters in Canada. Ironically, for my G, I have to special order the Frams; I go out of my way to get them.
wink.gif
Partsource, Canadian Tire, and Walmart never had them on the shelves.

Just went to one of my local walmart here in vancouver bc and i was surprised to see all those purolator cabin air filter, air filter, oil filter..
smile.gif
I was also happy to see some purolator synthetic oil filter... they didn't have much stock yet.. i would say 1-2 pcs of each product... Also noticed lots of bosch premium oil filters..
smile.gif

Those purolator synthetic oil filter are listed for under $12 which is nice!
smile.gif

i would love to try a purolator synthetic. last time i was in walmart they did not even have a spot on the shelf for them. does this mean walmart no longer carries fram ultras as well?

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
i would love to try a purolator synthetic. last time i was in walmart they did not even have a spot on the shelf for them. does this mean walmart no longer carries fram ultras as well?

I think this is a Canada thing, thus far at least.

That Purolator Synthetic looks just like a Fram Ultra (Xtended Guard), except the outside had a sandpaper feel to the paint, as opposed to the Fram with only the end rough surfaced.

Last edited:
Use some caution here folks, and do some research on Chinamart. If it is on their shelves, it will be the lowest grade, cheapest filter made by the company.

Hence why I refuse to shop in Chinamart!!

Originally Posted By: WillB
Use some caution here folks, and do some research on Chinamart. If it is on their shelves, it will be the lowest grade, cheapest filter made by the company.

I highly doubt the Purolator oil filters on Walmart's shelves are any different than they are any place else. How's Purolator going to determine which ones are sub-quality?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I highly doubt the Purolator oil filters on Walmart's shelves are any different than they are any place else. How's Purolator going to determine which ones are sub-quality?

They are all built in batches, so it is easy to separate quality. Most manufacturers do it that way, easily separated by lot ID numbers for each customer. Walmart broke Vlassic pickles, Rubbermaid and a few others by dictating how much products were being purchased by Walmart for. After walmart bankrupt them, they bought them.

I doubt Purolator, Motocraft, FRAM or any other filter sold at Walmart is going to be sub-quality because why would any one of those companies put their reputation on the line just to sell their products at Walmart?

Walmart broke Vlassic pickles, Rubbermaid and a few others by dictating how much products were being purchased by Walmart for. After walmart bankrupt them, they bought them.

Classic example of Vlasic's eyes being bigger than its stomach with the 1 gallon pickle jar fiasco. Vlasic is owned by Pinnacle Foods - couldn't find any reference to Walmart buying Vlasic after its bankruptcy in 2001. Care to point me to the right reference?

i've checked the Purolator and Bosch at WM. compare it with Fram EG 7317,they are longer in size, seem to be heavier. Bosch have silicon ADBV. they both have higher quality than Fram EG for sure and the Purolator is $ 2cheaper . so if the manufacturer decided to lower the quality down a bit, i think that it is still an acceptable quality cause i've been using the Fram OCOD for a long time and my car has no problem with it.

regarding quality, i've notice that the oil that "on special" at WM Canada. do not have the same specs. as the oil on "regular price". i.e the 5 liters 5w30 QSUD is Honda/Acura HTO-06 approved but the same 4.73 liters 5w30 QSUD on sale is not HT0-06 approved and also do not have the sign "bonus cash back 400k guarantee" on it. the different is very minor and nobody would be able to notice unless you read the fine print

if one day, the one percent would like to cash out their investment and sell their stake to China State investment authority at a premium, as it is usual the case in any acquisition, then that would be the greatest vertical integration ever. i know that there still be many choices for consumers in the US but for Canada, what other oil filter would there be to choose ?

Quote:
I doubt Purolator, Motocraft, FRAM or any other filter sold at Walmart is going to be sub-quality because why would any one of those companies put their reputation on the line just to sell their products at Walmart?

+1 Yeah it falls in the same category as those believing/stating that 'the majors'/name brand oil sold at Wally is somehow a different or lower quality than the oil sold elsewhere. Makes the Wally haters feel secure to spew that claptrap, and it's a good excuse to wear their tin foil hats as they do so.

There is some validity to his point though. The now gone SuperTech e-core oil filters had less media than their "twin" STP's did, and the filter media seemed to be different as well.

Goodyear tires purchased at Wally's don't seem to last as long as other Goodyears either, at least for me they don't.

No validity as far as the Purolator filters now being sold at at Wally Canada though. Which is the specific example being addressed by ZO6 and then my agreement.

I don't know for a fact that Super Tech filters had less media than STP filters. However even if they did, Super Tech was a Champ 'made for' Wally private label brand. Now if STP was sold at Wally, and it had it was proven to have less media, then one could say there would be some validity to the argument. However like the Purolator now and the Frams before it, had the STP been sold in Wally it would be the same quality. So, while the ST may have been stated as a "twin" doesn't mean it was the same. Much as the made for Quaker State filters are often 'labeled' as Classic clones, it's generally accepted they are not rated as efficient as a name branded Purolator Classic. Like the ST made by Champ, QS is a private label Purolator made for filter.

Can't speak authoritatively to the GY tires wearing less, but I do know many of names of the Goodyear tires are also 'made for' Wally models, with different model names then those sold at other tire stores. Again, it's the difference between 'made for' brands and the same name brand tires. But not long ago, a Bitog member tire retailer was upset because now Wally was able to sell the same name/model branded tires.

But the point is, just as the name brand oil sold at Wally is the same as sold elsewhere, the Purolator name brand labeled filters at Wally now are the same as those sold elsewhere. As ZO said, Purolator, Motorcraft or Fram isn't going to let second tier/lower quality 'name brand labeled' item be sold just because it's sold at Walmart. It's their reputation and their name on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back