Pricing of cartidge style filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using Wal-Mart's pricing as an example, both the Fram TG9018 and ACDelco PF457G for GM's 2.2L Ecotec engines are almost 10 dollars a pop and the ACDelco filter doesn't even include an O-ring like the Fram does.

The Purolator Classic P15436 is priced the exact same as the rest of Purolator's spin-on filters offered at WM. this is maybe the only example of uniform pricing I've come across as far as cartridge filters go.

So if cartridge filters seem to be made from less raw materials over a spin on, is there another specific reason why most cartridge style filters are priced as much as they are over the spin-on canister filters? Enlighten me.

(On another note, my local WM is discounting the Fram CH9911 down to 7 dollars. Check your stores, guys.)

Ive wondered this too, and all I can figure out is that there are less vehicles using them, and they price them high because they are in lower demand over spin on's.

I'm at just under $4/shipped for a genuine Toyota filter cartridge for my Prius, when purchased in a pack of 10.

My girlfriend's mini uses cartridge and only thing pepboys had was purclassic which cost me 4 bucks.

both of my cars cost 3.5 for the canister.

cartridge is dying breed and just the fact that not many car uses them compared to canister makes them expensive.

I totaly feel your pain on that.

Amazon will be your best friend
smile.gif

Last edited:
I pay $2.01 + $0.60 Eco fee for Defense DL9018 from my local supplier here for the 2.2 Ecotec and I have only good things to say about them. When I get a chance I should post some pics of them and you can see the quality. And from a Fram product no less.

Cartridge filters are not a dying breed, if anything they are being used by more vehicles today than say 15 years ago. They price difference has to be with the volumes produced at the manufacturers. A couple of times a years we used to meet with Manufacturers Reps, but never for oils filters.

Originally Posted By: partspro
Cartridge filters are not a dying breed, if anything they are being used by more vehicles today than say 15 years ago. They price difference has to be with the volumes produced at the manufacturers. A couple of times a years we used to meet with Manufacturers Reps, but never for oils filters.

+1 I believe they are becoming more popular in the recent future. There are a lot of GM cars moving to the cartidge. I think it is a good idea versus spin on type. The Ecotech in my malibu takes about 2 minutes to open, replace and close. Much easier to deal with than dealing with the spin on I think

Pricing on oil change specials at APP or AZ might be advantageous in this case, even though it seems like the oil is a bit pricier than Walmart.

Rock Auto's pricing is also more competitive if you buy in bulk (spread the shipping out). The PF457G is $4.43 and there are some cheaper options as well.

I find this annoying as well. The best I can do for our KIA is about 7-8 bucks a filter unless I want to buy in bulk. I hope these will become more reasonable in the future.

The Bosch cartridge for my 2 Grand Ams eco's in the family is $12-13, but I usually use the purolator for around $6.50.
After several years of opening the housing with a pair of pliers, I finally broke down and bought a 32mm socket at Pep Boys last time. Wow, did that job become easy.

It is amazing how much physical product you get for $4 when buying a spin on filter.

Originally Posted By: EType
It is amazing how much physical product you get for $4 when buying a spin on filter.

I've always wondered how they do it as well. Every filter has to be manufactured, has to meet tight specs, then is marked up, shipped to a distribution center, shipped again directly to the store, marked up again. So you have a minimum of two shipments and two mark ups at decent profit and they still sit on the shelf at Wally's for 3-4 bucks. My only conclusion is the majors can produce a high volume filter for about 50 cents to a dollar!

IMO the price sting on most cartridge filters is lack of volume.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: partspro

+1 I believe they are becoming more popular in the recent future. There are a lot of GM cars moving to the cartidge. I think it is a good idea versus spin on type. The Ecotech in my malibu takes about 2 minutes to open, replace and close. Much easier to deal with than dealing with the spin on I think

I agree they are becoming more common, but I did an oil change on my GF's Hyundai Genesis sedan and the filter portion of the procedure that normally takes 30 seconds with a spin-on ended up being a very messy 10 minute affair
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: LScowboy

I agree they are becoming more common, but I did an oil change on my GF's Hyundai Genesis sedan and the filter portion of the procedure that normally takes 30 seconds with a spin-on ended up being a very messy 10 minute affair
frown.gif

LS, where is the filter location on the Genesis? I've changed one of our Chevy Cruze (also a cartridge), and it was probably one the the easier and cleaner changes I've done. Much better than the spin on located on the back of the engine on the Saturn.

My Mazda CX7 cartridge filter is mounted upside down-Ugg. If I take it step by step and remove the screw to empty the filter housing then I get very little mess. A spinon takes me about 3 minutes to install new and my cartridge, takes about 6 minutes. I prefer the cartridge because, I can see what I put in and what the cartridge looks like removed. IN addition; I have no anti-drain or bypass valves to leak. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back