Pricing of cartidge style filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn

LS, where is the filter location on the Genesis? I've changed one of our Chevy Cruze (also a cartridge), and it was probably one the the easier and cleaner changes I've done. Much better than the spin on located on the back of the engine on the Saturn.

On the Hyundai Genesis, filter location is on top of engine, towards the back, actually a pain to reach, and their contraption for holding the filter was not well thought out for ease of getting into or sealing back up, as well as not making a mess. It is the rare spin-on that is this much of a pain, but a few are, like my 86 Nissan 300ZX (under the manifold, completely blind and hard to get started)

I found the cartridge on our KIA to be clean and easy, a lot better than the spin ons I was used to. But I did watch an on line tutorial on changing the cartridge filter first so I knew what I was doing, and I bought the proper socket in advance as well.

I do like there is no cutting to eyeball how your filter held up. I don't like the price of them though.

What is strange to me is that in some catalogs for generic oil change places, common cartridge filters (Like GM, Mazda, and Hyundai) might cost a few cents more than any regular spin on filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back