W8 Passat wagon now in my garage...gulp....

Hah! I knew it! You are NOT Chevy Chase. 😜

Nice videos the "Wookie growl" didn't make sense to me until I heard it, perfect description.

Hah! I knew it! You are NOT Chevy Chase. 😜

Nice videos the "Wookie growl" didn't make sense to me until I heard it, perfect description.
HAAAHHAAHAH - I wish. FLETCH LIVESSSSSSS. I love the movie Spies Like Us, one of my all-time faves and some great movie quotes. The angry Chewbacca sound is glorious!

All those “W” configuration engines sure sound great!

Really cool that you’ve found this extra clean example and plan to drive the heck out of it!

I’ll look forward to reading your updates.

Since this is such a cool car, have you considered swapping in a manual?

I know you said youre actually fine with the autobox for now, but, maybe something to consider for the future?

I wonder if the manual gearbox they used for these was used in anything else, and, if so, if it would be a direct fit.

Question - Is the AWD system rear-biased?

Since this is such a cool car, have you considered swapping in a manual?

I know you said youre actually fine with the autobox for now, but, maybe something to consider for the future?

I wonder if the manual gearbox they used for these was used in anything else, and, if so, if it would be a direct fit.

Question - Is the AWD system rear-biased?
Yes, the awd system is the same as the Quattro system used in Audis of that time period - full-time r. biased awd.

In terms of the manual swap, there is of course a large community surrounding these with all of this figured out. There is a particular Audi that can be used for this.

For me? Not worth it. I already spent more than I wanted and it drives great. Already put 1K miles on it since buying and it's going in the shop tomorrow for a full go-over and that will likely cost a grand is my guess to fix a few things that should be fixed to drive it regularly. I suppose if I kept for a long time that would be a cool thing to do for sure. I can put it in N and rev it, I've coded the trans control unit to have a hidden "sport mode", and you can always shift manually using Tiptronic mode. I love a good stick but I'm just not obsessed with it enough like some folks to bother I guess. I remember my first car, a '67 Mercury Cougar that was my dad's.....had the Ford C-4 auto...coursed him that he didn't get the optional Toploader 4-speed manual but again....just drove it.

Update. Put the wagon in at my trusted Euro shop. Owner/tech has worked on them as well as W12 Bentleys. Gone through the whole thing top to bottom including driving it including the issues that I had found when I inspected it. Overall he was impressed with the condition. Parts are the issue obviously so they are working on a few work-arounds. I hung out last night with them and went through it all on the lift which was pretty cool.

Brake fluid was filthy/3% moisture content. Will flush. Also going to replace the reservoir b/c he felt it looked like a few areas were suspect w/r to integrity and may not like the pressure flush - still can get part so yes.

Changing the auto trans fluid/filter/etc. Always smart and I have no idea when it was changed last.

Cracked vacuum line on the firewall going to the brake system. Replacing but can't get part, have work around. Surprised I missed this one!

AC high pressure switch fault. Bad switch/leaking/blowing off connector. Replaced switch/connector/charged, system working now. Now I know why the connector wasn't attached/had a fault!

Significant oil leak from oil pan - will re-seal/change oil. Pan has deep gouges but isn't the source...good thing b/c you can't the pan now..hahah. Selling dealer said they changed the oil with Mobil 1 0W40, my shop does Liquimoly so Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 going in. I had added some LM Motor Oil Saver to the oil which clearly did zero to stop/slow the leak...was worth a shot for sure for $7.

Oil leak from r. prop shaft seal and missing heat shield - sourced heat shield and will replace seal. This leak is enough to warrant the fix, leaves a nice-sized puddle each day on the garage floor plus drips on exhaust pipes and smells.

F. d. side outer CV hosed/boot torn - replacing axle unit. Saw this one and it's ticking when you turn so a no-brainer.

PS pump/lines leaking - not messing with it right now, I added some stop leak and said a prayer.

Small odds/ends mainly a few missing bolts/hardware. The trans was replaced at some point according to a prev. owner and it looks like the engine was removed so some of this is likely a result.

Funny as there are some bolts here and there that appear to be out of place....look like someone stripped something or lost something and hit Lowes for a quick replacement. As long as it works...

Hope to have it back next week. It's quite a large repair bill but I'm good with it - I knew this would be the case going in and want to make sure things aren't neglected that can lead to other larger issues (my general philosophy w/r to vehicles I own). These folks have done the larger turbo upgrades on my Sportwagen and I trust them immensely. Hopefully this will help keep this thing alive for years to come!
Capture3.JPG

Last edited:
Imagine that, twice, sandwiched between the engine and transmission.

Now imagine that it's a car that people tend to neglect once repairs start to get more frequent.

Just gotta say.. aren't timing chains supposed to be more reliable than a belt?

Or is it that on this specific engine they are an issue (they stretch? Jump teeth?)

Update. Put the wagon in at my trusted Euro shop. Owner/tech has worked on them as well as W12 Bentleys. Gone through the whole thing top to bottom including driving it including the issues that I had found when I inspected it. Overall he was impressed with the condition. Parts are the issue obviously so they are working on a few work-arounds. I hung out last night with them and went through it all on the lift which was pretty cool.

Brake fluid was filthy/3% moisture content. Will flush.

Changing the auto trans fluid/filter/etc.

Cracked vacuum line on the firewall going to the brake system. Replacing but can't get part, have work around.

AC high pressure switch fault. Bad switch/leaking/blowing off connector. Replaced switch/connector/charged, system working now.

Significant oil leak from oil pan - will re-seal/change oil. Pan has deep gouges but isn't the source...good thing b/c you can't the pan now..hahah. Selling dealer said they changed the oil with Mobil 1 0W40, my shop does Liquimoly so Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 going in. I had added some LM Motor Oil Saver to the oil which clearly did zero to stop/slow the leak...was worth a shot for sure for $7.

Oil leak from r. prop shaft seal and missing heat shield - sourced heat shield and will replace seal.

F. d. side outer CV hosed/boot torn - replacing axle unit.

PS pump/lines leaking - not messing with it right now, I added some stop leak and said a prayer.

Small odds/ends mainly a few missing bolts/hardware. The trans was replaced at some point according to a prev. owner and it looks like the engine was removed so some of this is likely a result.

Funny as there are some bolts here and there that appear to be out of place....look like someone stripped something or lost something and hit Lowes for a quick replacement. As long as it works...

Hope to have it back next week. It's quite a large repair bill but I'm good with it - I knew this would be the case going in and want to make sure things aren't neglected that can lead to other larger issues (my general philosophy w/r to vehicles I own). These folks have done the larger turbo upgrades on my Sportwagen and I trust them immensely. Hopefully this will help keep this thing alive for years to come!
View attachment 42012

This post reads like you are my twin. You are awesome!! 😃

Or is it that on this specific engine they are an issue (they stretch? Jump teeth?)
I think VW/Audi's timing chain troubles are caused by a combination of 10k OCI's and the US's higher sulfur gasoline. The chains wore and stretched and the tensioners hit their limit, and/or the guides became brittle and broke.

Couple that with a few OCIs going over 10k or using the wrong oil...

The issue is the timing chain guides which are plastic - they wear out.
H88-Passat-W8-Timing-Chains-01.jpg

I think VW/Audi's timing chain troubles are caused by a combination of 10k OCI's and the US's higher sulfur gasoline. The chains wore and stretched and the tensioners hit their limit, and/or the guides became brittle and broke.

Couple that with a few OCIs going over 10k or using the wrong oil...
Bingo. This engine is not one you push OCIs with. I don't have much in terms of oil change records so I have no idea. I'll change it once a year/3K at most. I *hope* that anyone that pulled the engine to replace the trans/t-converter had enough sense to replace the chain/guides as well as the cam adjusters...but I have no idea. Me w/r to this car:
R9e496181e7dbffe1008b174b6e85cfa6.jpg

Bingo. This engine is not one you push OCIs with. I don't have much in terms of oil change records so I have no idea. I'll change it once a year/3K at most. I *hope* that anyone that pulled the engine to replace the trans/t-converter had enough sense to replace the chain/guides as well as the cam adjusters...but I have no idea. Me w/r to this car:
View attachment 42022
Just remember, a ton of engines will fit if it goes bang.

Back