W8 Passat wagon now in my garage...gulp....

This is the most unique VAG vehicle I've ever owned. A 1979 Audi Fox GTI. Loved that car, bought it in 1985 with 76k on it. IIRC correctly it had a 1.6 4 cylinder and a 4 speed manual. This one was not mine, but it's what it looked like.

First time I ever saw an Audi was the one at the beginning of the movie E.T.

This is the most unique VAG vehicle I've ever owned. A 1979 Audi Fox GTI. Loved that car, bought it in 1985 with 76k on it. IIRC correctly it had a 1.6 4 cylinder and a 4 speed manual. This one was not mine, but it's what it looked like.

Wow. What a unique car to have owned. Sweet!

download (9).jpeg

Got her back from the shop tonight. 2 weeks in, most of that was them ordering/waiting on parts. Big bill but worth it to know that it's solid. Brakes feels great after bleed and replacing a bad vacuum line. Rear prop shaft seal fixed and replaced a missing heat shield - no more puddle on the floor. Fixed the AC - bad high-pressure switch and wire connector, charged the system. Re-sealed the oil pan and did an oil change. Did a auto trans fluid/filter change - it shifts like butter now, the auto had some hiccups before. Finally, replaced the d. side CV/axle unit. Lots of small BS...missing nuts/bolts, busted sway bar mount, etc. that they were able to button up. Great having a shop you can trust and a tech that knows his way around this beast!

Got her back from the shop tonight. 2 weeks in, most of that was them ordering/waiting on parts. Big bill but worth it to know that it's solid. Brakes feels great after bleed and replacing a bad vacuum line. Rear prop shaft seal fixed and replaced a missing heat shield - no more puddle on the floor. Fixed the AC - bad high-pressure switch and wire connector, charged the system. Re-sealed the oil pan and did an oil change. Did a auto trans fluid/filter change - it shifts like butter now, the auto had some hiccups before. Finally, replaced the d. side CV/axle unit. Lots of small BS...missing nuts/bolts, busted sway bar mount, etc. that they were able to button up. Great having a shop you can trust and a tech that knows his way around this beast!

That is the best thing. :)

Another note from the shop that did the work I listed above. W/r to oil, they pulled the pan to replace the seal and changed the oil - Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 (9L!). I ask about the bottom end, they said it looked great, no sludge etc. so nice to hear. Hopefully the previous owner(s) were good about changing the oil with VW502 00 and not just Jiffy Lube 5W30 or whatever. I'm going to dump two bottles of Ceratec in this week (each bottle good for about 5L) for good measure w/r to friction reduction on those sensitive timing chains.

Added 2x 300ml bottles of Ceratec today. Figure this thing needs all the friction modifier it can get!
IMG_20210203_180303_193[21533].jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully the previous owner(s) were good about changing the oil with VW502 00 and not just Jiffy Lube 5W30 or whatever.

Definitely a problem with used VWs (or Euro cars in general) and I believe the source for many of the German car sob stories you see posted on the net.

Definitely a problem with used VWs (or Euro cars in general) and I believe the source for many of the German car sob stories you see posted on the net.
For sure - most likely got bulk 5W30 back then...in fact our '00 Jetta did on it's first change at a quick-lube joint and we had bad oil consumption issues with it. After that I started providing the Mobil 1 5W40 (or was it 0W40 back then?) for my changes.

Looks great. The car sure has fallen into the right hands.

I saw a Saab 95 wagon last week, been a long time since I've seen a Saab wagon you don't even see Saabs very often much less wagons. I tried to get a pic but I was driving couldn't pull it off.

Looks great. The car sure has fallen into the right hands.

I saw a Saab 95 wagon last week, been a long time since I've seen a Saab wagon you don't even see Saabs very often much less wagons. I tried to get a pic but I was driving couldn't pull it off.
Thanks man! I have always like Saabs. We have a local "swedes" group that has a bunch of Volvos and Saabs - I hang/cruise with them from time to time.

Back