W8 Passat wagon now in my garage...gulp....

You know we can disagree here. I have seen some darn nice old Mercedes still around.
I would do forum-unfriendly things to own any proper AMG wagon. There are many true station wagons that I would love to own, however the draw of the AMG is something I'll never be able to get over.

I would do forum-unfriendly things to own any proper AMG wagon. There are many true station wagons that I would love to own, however the draw of the AMG is something I'll never be able to get over.
The AMG Hammer wagon is on my list of all-time favorites.

Love some of these VW models. You can have the repair bills without the prestige.....
VW, the Ford of Germany! I'd say rolling up anywhere/car shows in a W8 wagon has a certain level of prestige at this point and I'd drive this anyday over the common run-of-the-mill Merc and 5-series wagons, that while cool....really are somewhat ubiquitous in the wagon world. If anything the W8 sounds cooler! Now if only mine were 1/97 manuals....

A W8 is a lot like a boat or a pool.
It's an excellent thing for your neighbor to own.
Have you owned one? They have a bad rep for sure. Here's my honest take. It's in layers. 18 yo car. 18 yo Euro car. 18 yo VW. 18 yo B5 Passat. 18 yo B5 Passat W8. All of these have issues on their own so combined it can get ugly. Any 18 year old Euro car will also have quite a hefty annual maintenance/repair bill if you actually drive it. The biggest thing on the W8 is that some seemingly inexpenisve/common repairs require a motor yank b/c there is no room and that...that sucks. The engine has been out of this one (not while I owned it) and I hope that they took care of anything/everything they could but I have no idea, no records and I don't know who the former owner is. I heard a Euro repair guy say one time...."what VW/Audi from that era hasn't had the engine out at some point".

Have you owned one? They have a bad rep for sure. Here's my honest take. It's in layers. 18 yo car. 18 yo Euro car. 18 yo VW. 18 yo B5 Passat. 18 yo B5 Passat W8. All of these have issues on their own so combined it can get ugly. Any 18 year old Euro car will also have quite a hefty annual maintenance/repair bill if you actually drive it.
You couldn't get me to touch one of those with a ten foot pole.

That's why it's a great thing for your neighbor to own.

You know we can disagree here. I have seen some darn nice old Mercedes still around.
True, but they are money pits driven by enthusiasts and those who cant afford the newer models. Often its way more expensive to drive an early 2000s benz than a 2010+.

The AMG series would be the exception, those can still be quite desirable at this age.

True, but they are money pits driven by enthusiasts and those who cant afford the newer models. Often its way more expensive to drive an early 2000s benz than a 2010+.

The AMG series would be the exception, those can still be quite desirable at this age.
Agreed - so many folks buy 10+ year old lux cars thinking it's a great deal and quickly find out what it's like after the first multi-thousand dollar repair bill. I always say if you are buying a used car that was say $60K new, you are still buying a $60K car w/r to maintenance/repairs.

Had this thing a year this week...had some fun a local track's "Holiday Laps" event. For oil context - currently filled with QSUD 5W40 after a seafoam flush with the prev. fill of LM Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40+MoS2+Motor Oil Saver in hopes of freeing a stuck cam adjuster solenoid...it worked. Have 1K miles on this oil and will drain/fill/flush with LM Engine Flush this week and back to LM with MoS2.

Last edited:
There was a black W8 wagon with the stick shift transmission here in Utah for sale. It was rebuilt title so i had to pass. I think it was $8-9k but i just couldn't take the risks of Old VW+W8+Rebuilt Title and depend on it every day.

Had this thing a year this week...had some fun a local track's "Holiday Laps" event. For oil context - currently filled with QSUD 5W40 after a seafoam flush with the prev. fill of LM Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40+MoS2+Motor Oil Saver in hopes of freeing a stuck cam adjuster solenoid...it worked. Have 1K miles on this oil and will drain/fill/flush with LM Engine Flush this week and back to LM with MoS2.

Man, that thing sounds good!

Scott

Screenshot_20211023-022619_Instagram.jpg

Beautiful W8! I’m watching a 2008 Saab 9-3 aero V6 turbo wagon on Ebay. Damage but Before and after pics looks like he did a great job repairing the damage, no airbag deployment but I just can’t make myself pull the trigger with a salvage title, plus it’s a thousand miles from me. I love wagons, especially the euro wagons!

Last edited:
Back