W12 misfire, engine cuts out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by vavavroom

Dad has sold the Phaeton. It's got a little under 300k miles on it and problems have been cropping up over the past couple years. Some spare parts took a very long time to arrive. He is not yet sure with what to replace the Phaeton but he wants something a bit smaller.

That was my thought , too . And buy a Chevy or a Ford . Or , cringe , Chrysler product .

I have always heard German cars can be money pits .

Originally Posted by vavavroom
Dad has sold the Phaeton. It's got a little under 300k miles on it and problems have been cropping up over the past couple years. Some spare parts took a very long time to arrive. He is not yet sure with what to replace the Phaeton but he wants something a bit smaller.

Good on him for taking one to that mileage. The question "What do I replace my Phaeton with?" is for sure a difficult one. If you're shipping similar cars you're likely to be disappointed, so I went the opposite way.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Good call on his part.

Abnormally difficult maintenance practices come along with exotic or near exotic cars. Doesn't mean it's worth it, however.

Doesn't mean that it isn't, either.

Would the dad mind telling us the cost per mile of his Phaeton? Assuming there is not an extra zero in that 300K miles, his cent/mile must be less than a Geo Metro.
Also would be nice to know how he managed to put 300K miles on this car. Was the car used in commercial settings such as taxicab or traveling salesman job? For a normal office goer with 8 to 5 job, it would take many years to accumulate 300K miles on a private vehicle. It would be even more difficult if the vehicle needed to spend substantial amount of time in a repair shop waiting for the parts to arrive on slow boat from Germany if you get my drift.

Last edited:
I don't think my dad ever calculated the per mile cost of this vehicle. He used the Phaeton for work for 13 years, mostly freeway miles. Average annual mileage comes only to 23,0000 miles. I drive much more than that, and I don't feel like I am driving all the time. The Phaeton has actually been a reliable vehicle, but over the past couple years it has had some problems. The parts that had to be sourced from Germany sometimes took a few weeks if I remember correctly. Luckily the car never got stuck in the shop during those times. Right now he's driving his other vehicle, which is a 2014 BMW 328d xDrive, which he usually uses around town and for shorter trips. That means he's not in a hurry to replace the Phaeton. He's going to retire in a couple of years and he may not need or want a true long-distance vehicle any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back