''w 'rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
granted, there is a benefit to using a 5w40 vs a 15w40 during the cooler months, better base oil, easier cold starting etc... , but what is the benefit of using a 10w30 as opposed to a 5w30? on paper(spec sheets), the 10w 30's look like almost winners.my question is what is the real world difference? Advantages/disadvantages?
12.gif

Where you live, probably none. But come up to WI, MN, MI in the dead of winter and there is a big difference on those extremely cold mornings.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Even in warm San Diego, I would choose a 5-30 over a 10-30.
Why not have a bit better cold flow?

How much better cold flow will 5W-30 give over 10W-30 in San Diego? LOL.

http:// valvoline
non obvious responses as well please. is there a need for both grades considering the minimal diff in these two products.

less vii in the 10w30 possibly not as much shearing but prob not gonna make that much of a difference

viscosity index is higher for a 5w30 than a 10w30. that may or may not be true regarding the shearing.

Look at the data sheets in the latest posting for penn. plat.
Do you need the extra cold end CCS/PP for the winter or would you rather have the lower volatility and higher fire point in the summer? This summer I am going for the lower volatility.

it was posted on this board recently about a chrysler product a recommendation to use 10w30 and not 5w30. Why? btw I was looking for the lower volatility to help with consumption as well as thinning at temps. A 2 ton van with 1/2 ton of cargo aint easy on oil, thats 4 sure!

You always use the lower number ayear around. There is no need to go from one to the other at all.

The difference between 5 and 10 is not weight, it is the difference in temperatures before it gels.

Originally Posted By: lewk
it was posted on this board recently about a chrysler product a recommendation to use 10w30 and not 5w30. Why? btw I was looking for the lower volatility to help with consumption as well as thinning at temps. A 2 ton van with 1/2 ton of cargo aint easy on oil, thats 4 sure!

Ignorance. They say up in Canada we should use a 10w30 instead of a 5w30 which is fawkin moronic.

They are both 30 weights at operating temperature and the other difference is the 5 can handle lower tempertures before it gels.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
less vii in the 10w30 possibly not as much shearing but prob not gonna make that much of a difference

A 10W-30 will probably have a slightly higher HTHS than the same brand 5W-30. The 10W-30 should also stay in grade more as 02zx9r said; less shearing

I understand the inverse relationship between shearing and VII, and also the direct relationship between viscosity and HTHS. My question is why does big oil make these two seemingly similar grades with( depending on whose product), little discernible diff other than what is obvious to us(bitoger's). this cost has to be HUGE! For what reason(s)? most of what I read was pretty much a forgone conclusion. thanks just the same.

last time I saw temps at or below 32f was in 1994. freezer test is not valid to my curiosity or interest, though it would prove what I already know!

In real world driving how would you know the difference. Just the difference in additive packages would would make enough of a difference to completely confuse the matter. It's like the people that have to still shovel snow to get out of their house being worried about global you know what.

maybe this has more to do with economies of scale, than any other factor mentioned thus far

hmmm, you guys make a good point. i mean, i feel like the 10W-30 grade is more or less out of date at this point.

i think it should be dropped, and just 5W-30 should be kept.

if people are looking for something that will resist shearing better, they could g with a 10W-40 dino or a 5W-40 if they want to go the synthetic route.

or am i totally wrong on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back