VW TDI: Mixing 507.00 w/ something else?

Perhaps worth doing a google search for Ravenol SMP 5W-30. Comes with BMW Longlife-04,
MB 229.51, Porsche C30 and VW 504 00 / 507 00 approvals. Similar to Ravenol VMP, but less
expensive. Probably majority group 3 instead of group 4/5. I have no clue why Blauparts sell
VMP but no SMP, even though it's listed at Ravenol America.

Perhaps worth doing a google search for Ravenol SMP 5W-30. Comes with BMW Longlife-04,
MB 229.51, Porsche C30 and VW 504 00 / 507 00 approvals. Similar to Ravenol VMP, but less
expensive. Probably majority group 3 instead of group 4/5. I have no clue why Blauparts sell
VMP but no SMP, even though it's listed at Ravenol America.

@61.95 is that 2.5X better than the Castrol product?

What could you use that’s better than a 507 00 oil?
OP's question was about mixing in another oil. Personally, I would just go with a real good 507 oil and not mix. When I bought my Jetta, VW recommended junk Castrol 505.01 oil. I wanted a full synthetic, not a synthetic blend, so I was looking for advice on better oil. The one who answered "Just follow what the owner's manual says.” was not being helpful. I ended up using Motul Specific 505.01, which was a much better oil than the Castrol junk but had to be mail ordered. For the last 200k miles I have been using unapproved Mobil 1 TDT.

OP's question was about mixing in another oil. Personally, I would just go with a real good 507 oil and not mix. When I bought my Jetta, VW recommended junk Castrol 505.01 oil. I wanted a full synthetic, not a synthetic blend, so I was looking for advice on better oil. The one who answered "Just follow what the owner's manual says.” was not being helpful. I ended up using Motul Specific 505.01, which was a much better oil than the Castrol junk but had to be mail ordered. For the last 200k miles I have been using unapproved Mobil 1 TDT.
Well at least in this instance "following the manual" with a 507 00 oil such as the Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL won't be recommending "junk".

What junk Castrol oil was this?

What junk Castrol oil was this?
In 2005 until I do not know when the VW dealers were recommended a Castrol 505.01 oil for TDIs with the PD engine. The first thing I noticed was it was NOT a synthetic oil, but a blend. Further research showed it to be a blend of Group 1, Group 2 and Group 3 oils. The Motul Specific I went with not only met the VW 505.01 standard but was a Group 3 full synthetic. With the higher flash point (found in the MSDS for both oils) the Motul was a much better choice for a car with a turbo.

@61.95 is that 2.5X better than the Castrol product?

perhaps

Honestly? I have no idea if it's 2.5x better, but I'm certain it IS better.
That's about VMP.
That said, my actual suggestion was SMP and that's less. Availability
could be an issue. It's approximately 8 € per liter in Europe, while VMP
is about 12 €/l. I'm aware recommendations can't be the same whether
someone is in the US, Canada, Europe, OZ or New Zealand since prices
vary enormously.
Nothing wrong with Castrol though. I used to run Castrol transmission
oils in all my cars and am still running Castrol in my GTI's gearbox just
because it's excellent. I'm not impressed by Castrol's current engine oil
offerings, but that doesn't mean it's bad at all. You'll likely noticed I do
have some preference on PAO/POE if budget isn't tight. The consensus
is certainly the importance of approvals.
I'd like to add I would never ever call a VW approved Castrol call "junk".

If it wasn't for the delicate emissions system (MK7 uses DEF), then I'd just dump Rotella in it!

You can do 507 oil change for about $40 with the Walmart Castrol mentioned and a Hengst E340H247 purchased elsewhere. Walmart seems to only ship free the ECOGARD x10435 (Chinese?). Shopping RockAuto even, you can get that Hengst plus 5L of Pentosin 507 for $50 shipped with 5% coupon. RockAuto has a lot of 507 oils but prices W/shipping about average. For a 10,000 mile OCI, $50 seems reasonable.

Last edited:
Take it to the carwash, vacuum it, and put some of that gloss spray on everything plastic and drive around town and get offers on it. Find the highest appraisal without trade in and see if its worth it.

Nothing wrong with just a corolla and that new 2022 civic looks to be calling your name. if you can even find one though. but in terms of oil i doubt a quart of whatever similar will really cause issues.

I run off the shelf 5W40 diesel oils in my '13 Passat TDi all the time with ZERO issues. All emissions junk still intact. Have 70k miles on it now. Most any new HDEO 5W40 out there today is designed for emissions systems and will be low ash T6, Delo, M1 TDT etc.

So here's the thing, I'm trying to keep my costs down, I'm buying a house, I have to take care of my dad; and to be honest I find the oil prices for diesel VWs to be ridiculous.

I'm used to spending $20 changing oil with synthetic on almost every car I've had, the STI costs me $30 total because I use Chevron's XSP heavy duty.

Enter my 2015 Golf TDI, my daily; the dealer wants $100+fees. Last time I just ordered the oil change kit for $60, but even that is insane for a freaking Golf.. it's supposed to be my daily cheap beater.
I found Valvoline Euro XL-III... it's $42, and I can get the filter for probably $3-4.

The jug is only 5 quarts and the Golf takes 6, is it okay to mix in one quart of the heavy duty diesel oil I use for my STI?
Chevron XSP 5w40.

***I'm scared of damaging the fragile emissions system in this car 😐, I regret getting this car, my previous Civic Si got almost the same fuel mileage with less upkeep, while being bigger and quicker...
It should be avail from your dealer for about $9 qt then you know you have the right stuff. Seems to me a lot less hassle.

Back