VW TDI: Mixing 507.00 w/ something else?

So here's the thing, I'm trying to keep my costs down, I'm buying a house, I have to take care of my dad; and to be honest I find the oil prices for diesel VWs to be ridiculous.

I'm used to spending $20 changing oil with synthetic on almost every car I've had, the STI costs me $30 total because I use Chevron's XSP heavy duty.

Enter my 2015 Golf TDI, my daily; the dealer wants $100+fees. Last time I just ordered the oil change kit for $60, but even that is insane for a freaking Golf.. it's supposed to be my daily cheap beater.
I found Valvoline Euro XL-III... it's $42, and I can get the filter for probably $3-4.

The jug is only 5 quarts and the Golf takes 6, is it okay to mix in one quart of the heavy duty diesel oil I use for my STI?
Chevron XSP 5w40.

***I'm scared of damaging the fragile emissions system in this car 😐, I regret getting this car, my previous Civic Si got almost the same fuel mileage with less upkeep, while being bigger and quicker...

NAPA has Mobil1 ESP 0W30 or 5W30 on sale very often, as well as other oils. Practically you could use Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 from Wal mart that goes for $22 for 5qt. Also, think long and hard about oil filters that are $3-4. If it is not MANN, Mahle or Hengst, skip it.
If $30-40 is going to break your bank compared to $20, idk man, sell Golf and get Civic. To me, this more venting off than asking for help.

I have run 504/507 in my Touareg as well as HDEO. Can't tell a difference.

What you want to do is fine. Buy the $24 jug of Castrol above and add one quart of Delo.

Agreed it's probably fine but on the other hand it's more expensive than using the Castrol oil with the proper approval. So what does one gain?

The Delo is $5.50/qt at Walmart whereas the Castrol is $4.81.

NAPA has Mobil1 ESP 0W30 or 5W30 on sale very often, as well as other oils. Practically you could use Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 from Wal mart that goes for $22 for 5qt. Also, think long and hard about oil filters that are $3-4. If it is not MANN, Mahle or Hengst, skip it.
If $30-40 is going to break your bank compared to $20, idk man, sell Golf and get Civic. To me, this more venting off than asking for help.
I don't think Euro L meets VW 507.00!

I agree on what's been said. Get some VW 507 00 approved oil, it's cheap enough if you by smart,
even if a quart (or less) HD most probably won't harm. That said, 2.0 TDI engine code DEJA takes
5,8 quarts = 5.5 liters according to ETKA if that matters. I agree on using Mann, Hengst or Mahle
filters, perhaps also Purflux (haven't tried it on a Golf yet, but comes as OE on my Mini and appears
pretty solid).

for VW 504 00 & 507 00 see:

You may also read this:

Seems like may here have a fairly strong preference for Mann, Mahle, or Hengst. Does that include Wix, since Wix is merely a brand owned by Mann + Hummel now? If not, why not?

Seems like may here have a fairly strong preference for Mann, Mahle, or Hengst. Does that include Wix, since Wix is merely a brand owned by Mann + Hummel now? If not, why not?
The Wix cartridges are usually made in SK now (at least for my applications) and they're decent filters as well.

Best place to get TDI information is at tdiclub.com
However, it can be frustrating when someone posts, "Just follow what the owner's manual says."

Used to be Fred's TDI page.

Back