VW GTIs 2010+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I don't post much here anymore...lots of new stuff in my life these days that keeps me super busy. Anyhow, I was wondering if any of you could share your experiences with VWs from recent years only (>2010), specifically VW GTIs. Are GTIs still made in Germany? My Wolfsburg-produced '00 GTI is getting long in the tooth (250k miles & lots of fluid leaks) and eventually I'm going to have to put her down. I'm considering another GTI (dang, they're expensive!) so if any of you has any stories to share, I'm listening.

Thanks,
WW

I have a 2009 mkV GTI 53K and has no major issues. A co-worker has a 2012 mkVI and he does not have any issues, except for a squeak or two. As far as I know, the GTI is still made in Germany. Both the above are. Easy way to tell, is to look at the first digit of the VIN. Starts with a W, it is assembled in Germany. If it starts with 3, made in Mexico.

Dave

JetStar,

With global automotive manufacturing being what it is today, how concerned would you be with the GTI being built in Mexico?

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne

With global automotive manufacturing being what it is today, how concerned would you be with the GTI being built in Mexico?

I've been considering a 500 Abarth as well as a Fiesta ST- both of which are built in Mexico(although the Fiats's engine is assembled in Michigan- go figure).

Anyway, on one of the Fiesta ST Forums at least two cars have been delivered with parts missing. In one case the stability/traction control defeat switch was omitted and replaced with a blank trim plate. In the other case, the underdash lighting was missing, although the wiring was present and hanging down under the dash.

Perhaps the Mexican workers are trying to demonstrate that they are every bit the equal of stateside UAW labor...

haha, good one!^^^

My experience with Mopars from mexico was not good.

I am certain that the mfgrs are trying to improve the quality...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I've been considering a 500 Abarth as well as a Fiesta ST- both of which are built in Mexico

So, when the TV ad says that "The Italians are coming!", they are actually coming from Mexico?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

So, when the TV ad says that "The Italians are coming!", they are actually coming from Mexico?
lol.gif

Correct; except for the 500L- which is built in Serbia.
Really.

JetStar,

Well as you know, build quality is only part of the equation. There is the design, suppliers, etc..... I don't know about how the other mexico built VW stuff is doing.
More disturbing is that the MKVII (2015) Golf R is going to be 4-door only in the states, I would almost expect the same for the (2015)GTI. Glad I got mine when I did.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JetStar
JetStar,

Well as you know, build quality is only part of the equation. There is the design, suppliers, etc..... I don't know about how the other mexico built VW stuff is doing.
More disturbing is that the MKVII (2015) Golf R is going to be 4-door only in the states, I would almost expect the same for the (2015)GTI. Glad I got mine when I did.

My daughter has a 2008 jetta 2.5 Se which was built in Mexico. ZERO issues car has great paint and fit and finish. 60k miles on it a great little car. I have an Audi as a point of reference and the VW doesnt really have the feel of an economy car. I personally dont think VW's problems weren't the result of where they were assembled

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back