VW GTI 2.0T TSI Engine Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the German oils are best then what about Motul specific for VW or Liquid Molly? If its better for my German car than I will buy the stuff.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
One more thing to note is that the manual states no where that 0w30 or 0w40 may be used but does state as long as the oil used meets VW 504, 503 or 502 it may be used.

I'm curious how GC 0w30 is a euro oil as is 5w40 but yet are totally different? Is that just because its made in Germany? If that's the case then maybe I should be looking at Motul or liquid Molly that both are German I believe? Is "german" oil really that much better? Or is it just better on paper?

Jeff

Man, you have 100's of posts where you can find answers on your questions.
Honestly, after this I think you are just trolling forum.

Yeah allot of those posts are mine...haha honestly I don't have the time to be spending hours upon hours in various forums to seek answers. Is why I posted this TSI specific post. People that have TSI experience to help. ...."trolling a forum" I mean seriously you just said that?

Jeff

Jeff, I don't think you're a troll, but you are way overthinking this. Any oil that lists the VW specs you mentioned will do the job. Pick one and give it a try. If you don't like it for some reason, it's not the end of the world. You can always switch to something else later.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
One more thing to note is that the manual states no where that 0w30 or 0w40 may be used but does state as long as the oil used meets VW 504, 503 or 502 it may be used.

I'm curious how GC 0w30 is a euro oil as is 5w40 but yet are totally different? Is that just because its made in Germany? If that's the case then maybe I should be looking at Motul or liquid Molly that both are German I believe? Is "german" oil really that much better? Or is it just better on paper?

Jeff

Man, you have 100's of posts where you can find answers on your questions.
Honestly, after this I think you are just trolling forum.

Yeah allot of those posts are mine...haha honestly I don't have the time to be spending hours upon hours in various forums to seek answers. Is why I posted this TSI specific post. People that have TSI experience to help. ...."trolling a forum" I mean seriously you just said that?

Jeff

OK, well thenlike quattropete said you are overthinkinkg too much.
If your GTI is new keep using VW free oil changes. You might want to change oil yourself at 5K, try M1, try GC, try PU 5W40. See whch one feel also best for you. You might like sound of engine with one ol better then with another one.
But with those three oils, you will not make mistake.

Thanks Guys will take your advice. I think too much because I read too much haha. Ultimately you guys are right though.

Thanks for all your replies....appreciate it.

Jeff

It's pretty simple. Stop obsessing, stop over-thinking. Proper spec oil is proper spec oil, and you will be fine with any proper-spec oil. Some are better than others, hence some folks have seen M1 0w40 shearing prematurely. Some have not. Some prefer European oils. Some do not. It's all in your preference, your acceptance of cost, the availability of a brand and ultimately your choice. Me? I use Pennzoil European 5W-40 or Motul X-Cess, whatever I can find cheaper. As a confession, I have 5 bottles of M1 0W-40 on the shelf at home, but I am recently concerned with the reported premature shearing and the fact that it may be too thin for Maryland weather, so I just found a 5L jug of X-Cess for $43 (in-store pick-up) from RAI Motorsports. That's my next oil change and I think the M1 is going back to Wal-Mart. And by the way, my preference is to never go 10,000 miles on an oil change. I need this engine to last 300,000 miles like my last VW did.

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone for your input. I have decided on 5w40 PU Euro. I will do UOA's to see how the TSI likes this oil. Will keep everyone posted.

Jeff

Thanks Everyone for your input. I have decided on 5w40 PU Euro. I will do UOA's to see how the TSI likes this oil. Will keep everyone posted.

Jeff

Do UOA. Actually I am thinking to try PU 5W40 in CC.

Liquid Moly I have heard great things about, but problem is just getting it. I would really like to use an oil that I can just go to the store and buy. If I was going to order an oil I would go with Redline because I have had such great luck with it in my Evo's.

I can find Liqui/Lubro Moly at my NAPA stores for around $40 per 5 liter jug.

My next oil change will be with the new Castrol 0w-40. It's gonna take a good 6 months until I change it out, but I'll post the UOA.

I put the 5w40 PU in on Wednesday, will do the first UOA after 3000, change the oil, then do another UOA at 5000 miles. I will post up the UOA's when they are completed but will be at least 3 months for the 1st one.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back