VW/Audi oil filter capacity?

Do VW/Audi oil filters have any type of anti drain back valve? How much oil do they retain when doing an oil change? This refers to the filter on a 2017 Audi Q3 2.0 tfsi motor..with the filter on top of the motor. Like the filter linked below.

I’m just asking because I plan to start changing the filter every other oil change (5000 oci), and wondering how much oil is retained in the filter.

Thanks!

It is 99% + it has an anti-drain valve.
& 12 ounces -(ish) of oil in it. Most you can pour out but some is entrained in the filter media.
I would go the other way, changing oil & filter more frequently but this is USofAmerica. Choices.

It is 99% + it has an anti-drain valve.
& 12 ounces -(ish) of oil in it. Most you can pour out but some is entrained in the filter media.
I would go the other way, changing oil & filter more frequently but this is USofAmerica. Choices.
Audi recommends 10K oil changes. I’ve been doing 5K oil & filter changes. You would do it more often than that?

Audi recommends 10K oil changes. I’ve been doing 5K oil & filter changes. You would do it more often than that?
Audi recommends that so it looks good in the sales brochure as a low maintenance car. And so they have to do minimal work if they included free maintenance with your purchase. If you don't plan on keeping it much after the warranty expires, no problem. If you plan on keeping it long term, 5K max on the oil and filter would be the smart thing to do.

no. that's the sweet spot. anymore & everyone yells about wasting precious natural resources. lol.

Do VW/Audi oil filters have any type of anti drain back valve? How much oil do they retain when doing an oil change? This refers to the filter on a 2017 Audi Q3 2.0 tfsi motor..with the filter on top of the motor. Like the filter linked below.

I’m just asking because I plan to start changing the filter every other oil change (5000 oci), and wondering how much oil is retained in the filter.

Thanks!
Yes, it has an anti-drainback valve on it.

Weigh a used filter against a new filter. That will give you an idea of how much oil it retains after shutoff.

Hopefully, the "adapter" on the filter is removed with the filter, as it stayed behind once one and had to use visegrips to remove the "adapter".

Speaking of the adapter... personally, I think it's a stupid piece of engineering. VW/Audi should of designed it correctly that it wouldn't have required that extra piece for the filter each time.

The filter is so easy to get, and you can buy the Mann W 719/45 filter in bulk, so it's not terribly expensive to change it with the oil every 5,000 miles

Last edited:
I say it depends on the engine as I’d argue more oil may come out of the engine on top of what’s in the filter.

Say it holds 7 quarts. I’d do a drain and add 5ish quarts and check. Add in 1/2 quart increments and recheck until it’s in the acceptable range on the dipstick. Remember that number for next time.

Back