VW Air-Cooled oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone else on here has their air-cooled VW set-up with an external oil filter. Mine is built into the oil pump and is from VW Mexico. If you do, what filter do you use? I have heard WIX, Mann, Purelator are at the top of the list. Thanks!

I had an external oil filter on my 1968 Beetle back then. It was an aftermarket oil pump which had the replaceable filter on its left side. Perhaps its weakness was its proximity to a hot exhaust pipe. Filters were filters back then, and I didn't care what brand I used.

Gene Berg also had converted oil pumps back then which were tapped to accept threaded hose at the pump modified rear plate and attach to external filter. I forget the details now but the return line was to the oil gallery before the oil cooler or the same modified rear plate of the oil pump housing.

Then there was a conversion kit I vaguely recall that modified the doghouse oil cooler mount and rear fan shroud tin that in essence inserted a bypass oil filter into the scheme. Routed 10% of the oil flow back to the sump. If your system was in good order, or so it was claimed, this reduced oil flow to the engine wouldn't matter much.

Finally, some VW aftermarket stuff that was a sump filter that replaced the original wire mesh at the bottom of the case. This was a bad idea in many experts' opinion, as it was on the suction side of the oil pump.

Last edited:
If yours is built onto the pump, like berniedd Described above, wrap a heat shield over it so the hot air from the bottom of the cylinders isn't blowing back on it. As for filters, find a wix that will fit. I forget the number.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
As for filters, find a wix that will fit.

So far I have used Mann filters and just recently switched to NAPA Gold (Wix version), part number 51342. Just wanted to get some info from the experts because reading on some other websites its again just 30 pages of [censored] and name calling. Thanks for the help. I just ordered an oil filter cutter to inspect and see how my engine is doing. Its my commuter and I have put a total of 15K so far.

When I used to play with VWs I always installed an oil pump with integrated oil filter mount. As I recall I used to use the larger FL1A/PH8A series of filters. Back then Castrol 20W-50 was the go-to oil for air-cooled VWs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back