VW 508 Spec-0w20

Except the oil pump. Seems logical that if you increase oil pressure as power demand increases, you can maintain film strength while reducing drag at lower power levels.
Yes, the oil pump part number is supposed to be different is my understanding. There are also a host of folks on the EA888 gen 3 2.0 that have had stalling issues that were supposedly remedied by going back to whatever-W-40 oil.

This is one of those discussions:

Yep - I believe there is some controversy there w/r to the pump and if this really is just dumping 0W20 oil in the same engine or if they changed anything to handle it. For the 1.4....I don't see any reason not to use the 508. Lots of reports of dealers using the old-standby Castrol 5W40 502 00 in the newer GTIs/GLIs that were supposed to get 508.

At least in the B-Cycle EA888, there were significant changes. Not sure about the GTI/GLI though.....

From article in link above....
Other improvements
Most of the other refinements to the Budack Cycle engine were made with the aim of reducing weight and friction, which when taken together, make a significant contribution to the overall efficiency of this engine. Briefly, these improvements include the following-

• Improved engine management system that uses four microcontrollers to control valve lift and duration, which has the effect of producing seamless transitions between Budack -, and Otto Cycle engine operation
  • Redesigned piston rings to improve gas sealing and reduce friction
  • A down-sized turbo charger that requires a lower drive pressure, thus reducing turbo lag
  • Redesigned intake ports to improve gas flow
  • Narrower balancing shaft drive chain to reduce weight
  • Reduced main bearing journal diameters on the crankshaft to reduce both friction and weight. While the weight saving is significant, reducing the journal diameter from 52 mm to 48 mm to reduce friction was made possible as the result of this engine’s lower brake mean effective pressure at high, or maximum engine loads as compared to a conventional AE888 engine

But i don't know if any of this limits the application to strictly XW20 where reliability is concerned.

At least in the B-Cycle EA888, there were significant changes. Not sure about the GTI/GLI though.....

From article in link above....
Other improvements
Most of the other refinements to the Budack Cycle engine were made with the aim of reducing weight and friction, which when taken together, make a significant contribution to the overall efficiency of this engine. Briefly, these improvements include the following-

• Improved engine management system that uses four microcontrollers to control valve lift and duration, which has the effect of producing seamless transitions between Budack -, and Otto Cycle engine operation
  • Redesigned piston rings to improve gas sealing and reduce friction
  • A down-sized turbo charger that requires a lower drive pressure, thus reducing turbo lag
  • Redesigned intake ports to improve gas flow
  • Narrower balancing shaft drive chain to reduce weight
  • Reduced main bearing journal diameters on the crankshaft to reduce both friction and weight. While the weight saving is significant, reducing the journal diameter from 52 mm to 48 mm to reduce friction was made possible as the result of this engine’s lower brake mean effective pressure at high, or maximum engine loads as compared to a conventional AE888 engine

But i don't know if any of this limits the application to strictly XW20 where reliability is concerned.
Yes - the 2.0 B-cycle is a different animal. The drama seemed to be surrounding the EA888 2.0 in the GTI/GLI I believe.

Yes - the 2.0 B-cycle is a different animal. The drama seemed to be surrounding the EA888 2.0 in the GTI/GLI I believe.

Yup, and i still don't think that a more viscous 3.0 - 3.5 HTHS (Xw30, Xw40) would cause harm.

Correct - but a lot of the drama w/r to the 508 spec is from owners of the higher-output GTI and GLIs with the 2.0 that used to call for 502/504 oils that now call for 508 with seemingly no changes in the engine.

Well the 1.4 TSI also used 502.00 with the previous generation. I assume the 2.0 was re-designed as well? If no internal changes were made, I would be concerned as well.

Well the 1.4 TSI also used 502.00 with the previous generation. I assume the 2.0 was re-designed as well? If no internal changes were made, I would be concerned as well.
Ah - I wasn't aware and now that I am thinking about it, they offered the 1.4 in the previous gen Jetta so that would have been before the 508 stuff came out.

It says use oil that complies with the VW oil standard specified for your engine.

So I would take that to mean yes, 508 vs 504 does matter. Why give them any reason to deny a potential warranty claim anyway.

VW lowered their warranty from 7 years to 4 years 50,000 miles. Apparently they don't think the engine will last on VW508...

VW lowered their warranty from 7 years to 4 years 50,000 miles. Apparently they don't think the engine will last on VW508...

We already discussed this in another thread. VW raises and lowers their warranty all the time. Previously they went from 5/60 to 3/36 maybe six or eight years ago and pitched in free service instead.

What is the problem in just using the VW specified 508 oil? I have used it in My 2019 Passat since new. No issues whatsoever. Car runs great and gives fantastic gas mileage with the 2.0 liter engine on this oil. I do change it every 5000 miles.

Use the 508 oil and enjoy the car!

What is the problem in just using the VW specified 508 oil? I have used it in My 2019 Passat since new. No issues whatsoever. Car runs great and gives fantastic gas mileage with the 2.0 liter engine on this oil. I do change it every 5000 miles.

Use the 508 oil and enjoy the car!
Practically, it's easier to get your hands on 504. In my case I'm running higher than stock boost and like the idea of having a little extra protection, combined with knowing that being GDI it will dilute somewhat given I short trip in a cold climate.

Practically, it's easier to get your hands on 504. In my case I'm running higher than stock boost and like the idea of having a little extra protection, combined with knowing that being GDI it will dilute somewhat given I short trip in a cold climate.
Lets be honest, it’s also easier to get hold of Coca Cola.

That doesn’t mean you should put that in your engine.

My daughters Q2 runs great and has never had anything but 508 0w20 at oil change time.

It did have 1 litre of top up using 5w30 as allowed in the handbook when you can’t get 508/509

Never ran it for 18k miles or 2 years, always did an annual oil and filter change.

Hardly the most difficult oil to find and not exactly expensive since it will be in the engine for a year.

I don’t have a drive at our new house so had to get the garage that I use for tyres/brakes/alignment to do an oil and filter change.

Their parts supplier had the oil in the shelf.

Several Euro oil brands with any approval(s) of choice are very easy to source from FCP Euro and will be on your door step in short order. Change #2 and forward can all be returned using the Lifetime Return Guarantee to offset the cost.

Last edited:
Several Euro oil brands with any approval(s) of choice are very easy to source from FCP Euro and will be on your door step in short order. Change #2 and forward can all be returned using the Lifetime Return Guarantee to offset the cost.
From FCP Euro:

Thank you once again TiGeo! Your referral credit is in your account :p.

Seriously though, it IS a good way to go for stuff. (now where is MINE FCP?).

From FCP Euro:

Thank you once again TiGeo! Your referral credit is in your account :p.

Seriously though, it IS a good way to go for stuff. (now where is MINE FCP?).
Folks go on about not being able to find this or that oil with xyz approval. Literally anything you want on your doorstep in less than a week. OH BUT TIGEO I DON'T LIKE LIQUIMOLY BLAH BLAH BLAH. They sell other brands....

Back